A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Boom Video Game (Wii U/3DS)

Stritix

I can agree with this.

Honestly, I don't hate anything about this sub-franchise so far-- not even the character designs. The game seems to be shaping up well, and the series seems to have more action elements than most people were expecting along with the comedy.

Edited by SonicWind

P3dro, I almost shed a tear. So right. Anyways it really erks me how quick people are dumping this of it actually trying to be different. As you said change is what keeps series fresh and Sonic needed something fresh and this seems to look relatively well or even great, so far. I'm actually truly excited for a Sonic game. This hasn't happened since Generations and before that Heroes. Ah yes... that one commercial with the old super heroes gag..

@Snow Hog: I guess so. She wasn't playable though.

Overall, reception seems to be a bit more mixed compared to how the Sonic Not-X-Treme trailer was received. Still, this might turn out to be a solid game in the end. As long as they don't try to copy Mario Galaxy again, or Sly / Jak for that matter.

@Snow Hog: I guess so. She wasn't playable though.

Overall, reception seems to be a bit more mixed compared to how the Sonic Not-X-Treme trailer was received. Still, this might turn out to be a solid game in the end. As long as they don't try to copy Mario Galaxy again, or Sly / Jak for that matter.

They DID state in an interview they were trying their best to try something new with the game without copying sly and Jak with a sonic skin, so at least theyre aware. And It seems there will be multiple sonic games with this style, while sonic team works on the main series. So at least theyre Thinking ahead.

Also, Not getting localized to japan. Cause 'murica.

• Like 2

Alright, let's clear that with the following:

The original selectable main character trio + Amy

And there we go.

@Zig: Indeed, and I am keeping my hopes up. I enjoyed the fourth Sly game, so I expect they'll do a good job for the 3DS - which will likely be the first version I'll be able to try.

Well, at least Sega hasn't pulled a full DmC on the sonic franchise. A more than competent developer is developing it and they said from the start that it isn't replacing the original franchise(At least not yet) so that's good enough for me now.

IMO Design wise, Tails and Amy look the best with Sonic and Knuckles being the weakest, the tv show looks like it will be hit for it's intended audience and gameplay wise, I'll wait a bit as there wasn't enough footage to base my impression on.

Oh and Wub Wub trailer music...ffs

Edited by Chaos-Fusion

First off, I need to clear something up: Sonic CD came AFTER sonic 2. Tails is also in sonic cd as one of those secret code thingies, remember?

Now on topic: I'm actually excited for this. I love the redesigns, even knuckles. Look at this picture:

http://info.sonicretro.org/images/thumb/e/ed/Classic_knuckles_orthographic.svg/800px-Classic_knuckles_orthographic.svg.png

Thuggles has a similar body structure to classic knuckles, just supersized, although he could be a bit smaller...

I freaking LOVE tails' redesign. even sonic's except for the blue arms...  I also feel he could have a bit more stray spikes.

Amy's is like i hyrbid of classic and modern amy, i love it.

Knuckles' is OK.

I'm actually OK with this whole thing. Which is surprising, because I'm the kind of person who would really flip out at this. I have faith in the dev team, and I also agree with pedro. Yay pedro!

EDIT: Guys, shut up about sonic's redesign, it could be worse:

I1b4LGv.png

You're welcome.

Also: http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19ew47zmluf1opng/original.png

Edited by Mr. Potatobadger
  • Like 4

Knuckles is already a tough character, so making him buff isn't really that big of an issue with me. Also, keep in mind that Sonic Boom is not part of the main series, so the character designs probably won't be this way permanently.

Sonic CD = Before After the Sequel

I for one think it's interesting to see designs that divert from what we are used to this dramatically (even if some of them are a tad ridiculous) and I like the fact that the stages don't just look like a bunch of shit suspended in the sky. And seeing a game by someone other than Sonic Team is a pretty big plus to me regardless of their background.

This about sums it up for me. The most appealing aspect of this game is the fact it isn't being made by Sonic Team. Could care less about the drastic design changes. I'm starting to feel like removing nostalgia from Sonic is the only way it can move forward anymore.

Knuckles, Amy and even Tails have become so rooted in uselessness in the last 2 generations, this was just about the only way of making them playable without the writing demanding them to be aggravatingly worthless. I'll take Ragin' roid Knuckles and bad girl Amy over homing missile announcements anyday.

Edited by Serephim
  • Like 3

Well, at least Sega hasn't pulled a full DmC on the sonic franchise. A more than competent developer is developing it and they said from the start that it isn't replacing the original franchise(At least not yet) so that's good enough for me now.

IMO Design wise, Tails and Amy look the best with Sonic and Knuckles being the weakest, the tv show looks like it will be hit for it's intended audience and gameplay wise, I'll wait a bit as there wasn't enough footage to base my impression on.

Oh and Wub Wub trailer music...ffs

Actually this is Sonic's DmC. A franchise that was once made by japanese developers given to western game developers in the hopes of spicing things up a little and change a few things to appeal more to the west. Everything on this screams western culture. We have the brave hero, the bulk friend and the femme fatale. Exception being only Tails, I suppose. Who haven't changed much.

Knuckles is already a tough character, so making him buff isn't really that big of an issue with me. Also, keep in mind that Sonic Boom is not part of the main series, so the character designs probably won't be this way permanently.

Sonic CD = Before After the Sequel

I don't think the problem isn't with making Knuckles buff but actually how badly buffed they did him. In Sonic Adventure we had 'buffed' Echidnas and they didn't looked this odd.

This about sums it up for me. The most appealing aspect of this game is the fact it isn't being made by Sonic Team. Could care less about the drastic design changes. I'm starting to feel like removing nostalgia from Sonic is the only way it can move forward anymore.

Knuckles, Amy and even Tails have become so rooted in uselessness in the last 2 generations, this was just about the only way of making them playable without the writing demanding them to be aggravatingly worthless. I'll take Ragin' roid Knuckles and bad girl Amy over homing missile announcements anyday.

I second that.

So any theories> or wants for this, guys? I guess everything that can be said has been said but I gotta say I'm really liking this! Knuckles if shorter probably (arm proportioned correctly of course) would look great also! From the trailer I saw Sonic's battle Axe Kick and Homing attack and Spindash (hopefully that's what that was) so I'm pretty excited. 

Anyone think they can sketch up a Shadow "Boom" Mock up. Like his character design, I'd really like to see where they go with that, especially with the blank slate, and no-human looking world, so probably no Maria, who knows. While I'd like good ol' Sonic to continue I hope to see a couple more Boom games, they seem like they could do some good with this!

Actually this is Sonic's DmC. A franchise that was once made by japanese developers given to western game developers in the hopes of spicing things up a little and change a few things to appeal more to the west. Everything on this screams western culture. We have the brave hero, the bulk friend and the femme fatale. Exception being only Tails, I suppose. Who haven't changed much.

That is true, both are being developed by western devs in hope of appealing to the western audience and both are reboots. When I say "haven't pulled a full DmC" though, I refer to the fact that the characters are still recognisable in their updated looks and aren't that alienating compared to other reboot character designs, the reaction from the fan base is a lot more mixed than negative (from what I've seen at least which is much better than the DMC fan bases reaction), SEGA has made a reassuring statement to calm fans that fear replacement of the old canon(could change later down the line though) and the developers working on the game are ex naughty dog staff + Chris Senn. Edited by Chaos-Fusion
  • Like 1

I don't think the problem isn't with making Knuckles buff but actually how badly buffed they did him. In Sonic Adventure we had 'buffed' Echidnas and they didn't looked this odd.

This very much.  It's like making Tails the size of Charmy just because he's a flying character.  I think a buff Knuckles would actually look pretty cool for this series, but it needs to be consistent.

• Like 1

The thing is they just slapped Knuckles' head onto a body that is really poorly designed. It's like they just scaled up his body and left his head small - his arms are strange looking tube appendages - which works for the other characters' designs but not with how buff Knuckles is. It doesn't look right to me. It also doesn't help 'cause like...they all have no necks so its really apparent on Knuckles' new beefed up design as it looks like his head is just coming straight off his shoulders. Again it works for the other characters because the width of their bodies is smaller than the width of their head so it doesn't look as odd - plus unlike with Knuckles their heads appear to be sitting on top of their bodies too haha.

It's an awful design and I dunno how anyone thought it looked good over there. I can get past the other designs even though I don't particularly care for the overall style, but that Knuckles is abysmal.

• Like 1