A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

New Game Maker Studio Sonic Engine

I really liked the engine Aero, but right now I don't think I have the money to purchase GM Studio at the moment, and plus I'm really far into using the DASH engine. Hopefully if I ever start a new project, I'll most likely upgrade to GM Studio and experiment with this engine.

Apparently I can't access the source file with the free version, so Aero, is this engine any similar to DASH or would you say it's easier to use?

I wouldn't want you to switch over right away - Edge of Darkness needs to be finished sometime, right?

It's more complex than DASH, but has some of the same features.

Guest Mr Lange

Got Game Maker Studio, installed the latest beta channel update.

The file doesn't import properly. Most assets are missing and I get compile errors.

Is this really because it's just the free version? Very few people are going to be able to use this engine, this is really sad because it's probably the best GM engine to date by a longshot. Pretty much defeats the purpose of sharing it.

Aero do you have Skype, I'd like to discuss this engine a bit with you directly, since I had some unique plans for it.

I wouldn't want you to switch over right away - Edge of Darkness needs to be finished sometime, right?

It's more complex than DASH, but has some of the same features.

Well yes I will complete Edge of Darkness before doing any switching of some sort. ^^ But does it still use the same structure in some form?

I will meet you on Skype, Lange. (tameraeron)

Some of the structure is the same, some of it is different. An example is that animation is not external files, but are instead setup with timelines.

Set up with timelines?? You've got me really interested now, I've never seen a Sonic engine use timelines for handling animations. Does the engine still run off state machines?

What kind of edition GMS you use?

As I know, Free Edition can have only a certain amount of resources (sprites, room and etc.),

and this engine don't fit for Free GMS.

UPD: Also, SuperBliz, it's you who made Sonic Advance 4 (http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/104610-sonic-advance-4-demo-30)?

Oh, I know this game and it really nice!

Yes aha I made that a long time ago. xD

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to add the zoom tubes from Sonic 1 and I'm having a bit of trouble with the terrain. I'm not fully understanding the "angled" and "curved" variables for anything with the parent of objSolid. I can't seem to get the player to react to the floor correctly. So I guess my question is, how do you get the player to react normally to an oddly shaped floor?

Currently, there is no implementation for calculating the angle of non-standard terrain automatically. You will either have to construct the tube out of standard masks, or wait until I've implemented a method in a new build.

(If you choose the former, you have options. You can create a child of NonSolid with a reaction_script that puts the player into player_state_rolling by force, and place it at either end of the tube. You will then need to prevent the player from jumping out of the state somehow or uncurling from moving too slowly. Alternatively, you can make your tube object a child of objPath with a custom reaction_script that sets the player to a path matching your zoom tube; you'd also set the player to a new state based on player_state_path, where you'd handle acceleration and going backwards, and in the End of Path event, you'd put the player into player_state_rolling at a speed relative to the path_xspeed and path_yspeed.)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are you attempting to open it as an editable, or are you importing it?

A .gmz file has to be imported as it is compressed for the purpose of easier distribution. Once imported, it will decompress all of its contents to a folder where you can edit the project files like any other you'd make in Game Maker : Studio.

lol, whoops! xD

some questions here!

ok, so.this engine include the sprites (Sonic, Tails, or Knucles maybe) and no level test avaible (yeah, simple level testing)?

i'm so curious to GMS dat i can't found the sprites

ofcourse, i can't do any mistake or the engine blew up like my last experiment (so i download the engine again, + my tileset got virus error (random parts got inverted colors))

• 7 months later...

Hey AeroGP, ever since I updated GM Studio, the Sonic Studio engine has been outputting a single color rather than any kind of graphics. Overbound told me that the engine is specifically built for GM Studio 1.2. Is there any kind if fix for this? Is there some way I can revert back to 1.2? Nice engine by the way, especially since Dash is a pain to get running on Studio.

Bad news: the build that is up for public download uses a rendering system that is incompatible with the updates to the graphics pipeline in Game Maker Studio 1.3 and beyond.

Good news: You can open up your build notes and click on the name of a previous version to download a copy of it and roll back; or you can wait until I am ready to release version 1.1 of this build. (Suggestion: don't wait. I'm not even sure when I'm going to release the next build yet)

EDIT:

Currently, there is no implementation for calculating the angle of non-standard terrain automatically. You will either have to construct the tube out of standard masks, or wait until I've implemented a method in a new build.

This has already been implemented and is ready for use in version 1.1. More details on release.

Edited by VectorSatyr

@SuperBliz

He said that if he releases another version, it'll support 1.3. But for right now, 1.1 or 1.2 should be used with his engine.

Oh, and Edge of Darkness is awesome, keep up the good work.

Well I'm not gonna tackle anything with this engine for a while, since I'm just starting to figure out how the structure works for this.

And thanks man!

• Like 1