A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

"Piano Thing"

hRook

Actually it's just me messing with sequences, modulations, and arpeggiations at 10PM. I just recorded it into a MIDI. I may develop the idea more.

And yeah, it's a little repetitive.

Reminds me at times of "At Zanarkand" by Nobuo Uematsu (FFX soundtrack).

If I get really bored I'll analyze it and explain it.

And I'd like it if you actually replied to my thread. Just because I don't make bad 3D models doesn't mean I shouldn't get credit. :(

I see what you mean with the similarity. At 1:26 I was actually expecting to hear the melody of the opening come in (you may actually want to put something there, it seemed like it was building up to something).

I'm not really good enough as a musician to give any suggestions, so I'll just say good job and looking forward to the finished piece.

What annoyed me was at 00:23+, when you added the extra piano notes and you didn't follow through. If the piano is pulling down, the repetitive section should pull down there as well. Feels too forced, otherwise. Also, no silence at 01:09; pull that section together. And the silence at 01:25 should be after the sequence of notes that follow.

"Just because I don't make bad 3D models doesn't mean I shouldn't get credit."

Ow. That hurt. What've I ever done to you? ;-; At any rate, I think there are two many pauses it feels like you were playing a song, decided you should play a different one, and then went back to playing the original song. But.. I'm no musician.. maybe what Aero suggested would help. He seems to know what he's talking about.

As an area track for a video game or something similar, it serves its purpose very well. But as already mentioned, it does feel as though it was leading up to more. Personally, I like the pause at 1:09, though combined with the one at 1:25 really felt as though it should be leading up to a little more.

Other than that, it just felt like it repeated the the unaltered main melody a tiny bit too much in places. Of course, you already acknowledged it's a little repetitive. Anyway, I probably don't have the best ear for music, but for the greater part of this piece, it is very pleasant-sounding and fluid.

[/i'm no musician, but you this probably isn't the place to look for a musician's opinion]

Guest Shadix
Actually it's just me messing with sequences, modulations, and arpeggiations at 10PM. I just recorded it into a MIDI. I may develop the idea more.

And yeah, it's a little repetitive.

Reminds me at times of "At Zanarkand" by Nobuo Uematsu (FFX soundtrack).

If I get really bored I'll analyze it and explain it.

And I'd like it if you actually replied to my thread. Just because I don't make bad 3D models doesn't mean I shouldn't get credit. :(

I understand completely where you are coming from... I've had 2 music topics on here that went completely ignored. :(

I currently am unable to listen to the song, but I will comment as soon as I can. (My midi is skrewing up right now, I need to reboot)