A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

And now, a lesson in physics...

Swift

Ok. I was thinking drinking some pepsi today, and i thought 'I know! I'll make it ice cold!'

So i put another sealed can in the freezer. 10 minutes ago (it had been in there all day!), i go to the freezer, I open it and i find this:

picture003hy0.jpg

Main part of freezer...

picture002np6.jpg

Freezer door.

So after that i had to boil and hack away the ice to clean it up before my parents saw it! :o

[edit]: Here's a close-up of the can.

picture001ur6.jpg

Guest Shadix

I've definetely heard of this happening before, but I've never been victim to it and kinda dismissed it as an urban myth (guess not :P)... Of course I only result to freezing pepsis in emergency situations. I've forgotten about them a few times too... :\

My boss put a can of soda in the freezer part of the fridge in our office. It's one of those half-height ones, so the "freezer" is just a metal box in one big insulated cavity.

Because of the size, he laid the can on its side.

This was a friday.

Over the weekend, the top of the can had burst off, and the can hit the door hard enough to open it. Quite a mess to discover on a Monday...

Fun fact: When the soda actually freezes, it drives the carbonation out of solution. This, plus the slight expansion of the water, causes the pressure in the can to build up. The slightest defect in the can will cause a rupture. Plastic bottles fair better because the plastic stretches easier.

=Smidge=

Well kinda, Pressure * Volume = moles of gas * universal gas constant * temperature. Ideal gas law. liquids occupy a set volume and don't increase in pressure untill they change states. Gas (liquids and gasses are fluids) compresses as it gets cooler. When frozen, the crystaline structure forces the water to take up more volume than it would normally and there is no room to expand so there is a pressure increase causing it to explode a sealed container.

Wow. I froze water in a ballon and it didn't pop. I filled it up until it was ready to pop. When I open it up. It looked like an egg. So, I used a foam cup and put water in it along with my "ice sculpture" and froze. Cameout looking like a penis lol.

Anyways, this samething happend to me, expect, it was with a sprite.

Also, I remembered that metal contracts when it's cold, doesnt it.

So aswell as everything else that people have said, the metal contracting may have had something to do with it too.

And did i mention that the part that the ring pushes down was curved upwards?

I'm glad i wasnt there when it happened...

Fluids expand when frozen, as does the pressure, if I'm not mistaken.

This is incorrect for two reasons. First, "fluids" include both liquids and gasses.

Second, there are very few materials that decrease in density when transitioning from a liquid to a solid. Water is by far the most famous, but only materials that have a defined crystal structure which is lss dense than the liquid state will expand. This includes silicon, for example.

=Smidge=

Pressure traditionally goes up when energy/heat/whatever is added.

P * V = m * R * T

Since R is a constant, when you adjust "T", the temperature of the system, it directly influences the equivilence on the other side. So if the volume and mass are static, then the only way for this system to stay in equilibrium is for the pressure to increase, thus why ____ explodes (read: I did not say combust)