A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

PC help, it finally happened

shadowgoten

Well my 3 year old mobo finally bit the dust, I've been meaning to upgrade but never really had a reason to until now.

So I'm checking out processors and I'm in a rut, I love AMD, but I'm also looking at some of these pentiums and really digging them. I want to go with the latest technology like Dual core and hyper threading (not really sure if 64 bit is really worth it at this time) but I dont want to go past $300~350 for a CPU. After I figure out what I want for a processor I can easily pick out a mobo to go along with it.

So help me out...which is winning the war right now, pentium or AMD?

Intel's latest Duo offering seem to blow AMD procs away on every benchmark I've seen. This has also driven the cost of AMD products down.

Right now, the best bang for the buck still seems to be something in an Athlon 64 X2, but only because the motherboards for the newer Intel lines are still more expensive. I've heard stories about some existing motherboards being compantaable with the new Intel stuff though.

=Smidge=

Then you are out of luck Azu. All gamers are going to be on Intel's dick for at least a year.

The Conroe is the hottest ____ out right now. AMD cannot beat, and the next showstopper AMD has lined up STILL won't beat it. Like, they don't even have something in production that will come close to the conroe.

You want either an E6600 or an E6400. Prefferably the E6600. If you shop around, you can and will find the E6600 for 350.