A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

What if Sega Gave Sonic 4 Another Shot?

If I am honest, I really like the Death Egg MKII so maybe include it in. I like the idea eggman finally abandoned his first one to start from scratch. And also the idea of having a buildup, like metropolis -> wing fortress -> Death egg. All three could have been a suitable final zone

1. WIDESCREEN, BIATCH! Also, no reference to the Sonic CD 2011 remake? :(

2. Yes, but add regular autosaving to allow the player to take a break at anytime.

3. The more the merrie---*shot*

4. Brand new with a distinct style. Make it a sprite, but not limited by palette limitations.

5. Hm, compromise!

6. More in-depth versions of S3, have a small cutscene showing Sonic going to the next act.

7. So much yes. However, I'd suggest not forcing both players to stick to the same spot and to allow them to explore without being limited by the camera.

8. I don't know how you mean, but it'd be nice to be able to have Tails airlift you on demand.

9. Hm, that'd be nice, but you'd need to make sure Knuckles can't reach them either!

10. I'd say that depends on who he faces in his story, if Eggman, then no.

11. Green Hill Clone but with interesting tropes and gimmicks along with a bitching, catchy theme

In case you couldn't guess, I plan on "re-doing" sonic 4. 

Eeeegh...well okay. Other than me thinking there's at least 3 completed fangames called Sonic 4, I think it was a more interesting concept before Sega unfortunately made a game and called it that.

Yup. So the biggest thing is decided if this new character should be included to keep with the "tradition," or if to add a character like amy, or to keep it with the classic trio. I'm afraid to do new character/amy because of people getting all wound up or whatever. Classic trio is the safest. I personally don't mind what the outcome is, I believe it's up to the people.

This is why. The whole "conservation of tradition" idea is pretty useless to creativity IMO. Sonic 2 and 3 had no qualms at all about adding new characters. Sonic Advance is the closest thing to Sonic 4, and it very successfully added Amy to the roster. She had all the same stages yet played nothing like the other 3, executed in a way I haven't even seen a fangame successfully pull off yet.

If you really plan on doing a true-to-form Sonic 4, limiting the game to the "classic trio" is a weak starting point, you're already moving backwards. Unless you plan on drastically changing one or all of them, you seem to be using the same mentality that resulted in Sega's lackluster sequel. 

You aren't getting paid for this, you have complete creative freedom, do something new. I mean, i'm actually starting to miss fan characters. At least I had something unfamiliar to look forward to when i played the game.

• Like 1

@Serephim

Good points all around.

I don't think I have the mentality that produced the original sonic 4...

At least the original 3 will actually be in the game playable at any time, the physics are correct, and the levels aren't ripoffs of sonic 1/2 levels.

I also wouldn't call it moving backward, i would call it not advancing, because to move backwards would be removing characters i suppose.

Edit: I need to clarify. While I most likely won't call this game Sonic 4, it want this game to be "right" enough where it very well could  be. There are many "Sonic 4" fangames out there, like Time Twisted, but if you left it as "Sonic 4" it just wouldn't... Work... I don't know the word to choose, but I think you get the idea. Yes, it takes place after sonic 3 and follows up, but it's not Sonic 4.

@Serephim

Good points all around.

I don't think I have the mentality that produced the original sonic 4...

At least the original 3 will actually be in the game playable at any time, the physics are correct, and the levels aren't ripoffs of sonic 1/2 levels.

I also wouldn't call it moving backward, i would call it not advancing, because to move backwards would be removing characters i suppose.

Edit: I need to clarify. While I most likely won't call this game Sonic 4, it want this game to be "right" enough where it very well could  be. There are many "Sonic 4" fangames out there, like Time Twisted, but if you left it as "Sonic 4" it just wouldn't... Work... I don't know the word to choose, but I think you get the idea. Yes, it takes place after sonic 3 and follows up, but it's not Sonic 4.

I think making a sonic sequel "right" isn't so much about getting the physics right, not ripping off levels, classic character selection, whatever. All that stuff is basic basic basic, it should be expected anyway and Sonic Worlds literally does 2/3s of that for you off the jump. It should be about playing something exciting.

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, genesis physics and original levels are not exciting to me. It's been done, in fact nearly every fangame in development these days is more a showcase of level graphics than anything else, but they're all populated with the same thing. I've seen new shields and new badnick designs, sonic edits and bosses, but you know what I haven't seen in a fangame lately? A new playable character, or even an ability for an old one.

The one thing more exciting than the actual sequel of the genesis titles back in the day was the new character and abilities they had on the case. It's just my opinions though, as usual.

I think making a sonic sequel "right" isn't so much about getting the physics right, not ripping off levels, classic character selection, whatever. All that stuff is basic basic basic, it should be expected anyway and Sonic Worlds literally does 2/3s of that for you off the jump. It should be about playing something exciting.

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, genesis physics and original levels are not exciting to me. It's been done, in fact nearly every fangame in development these days is more a showcase of level graphics than anything else, but they're all populated with the same thing. I've seen new shields and new badnick designs, sonic edits and bosses, but you know what I haven't seen in a fangame lately? A new playable character, or even an ability for an old one.

The one thing more exciting than the actual sequel of the genesis titles back in the day was the new character and abilities they had on the case. It's just my opinions though, as usual.

1. I beg to differ. I believe to make a sequel right, the gameplay is the core. It's obviously not the most important, but it's the foundation. Without a strong foundation, the final product will fall short to what preceded it.

I'm going for authenticity. I want this game to feel so freaking legit you could actually convince some one sega made this a long time ago. I'm talking down to the wire, like obscure cheat codes for level select, a full fledged secret debug mode, and everything.

Looking at how accurate worlds is compared to the christian whitehead engine, or even the originals. Worlds actually isn't that accurate. I'm working on that. Spoilers, I know, but sonic worlds at sage is all about acuracy. (thats not all there is to it though, wink wink) Worlds is currently on par with the whitehead engine. By time I'm done with it, it will be more accurate.

Anyways

The game is obviously, in the end, about the levels, the level designs, etc. I know that. But in my opinion, the core of the game needs to be as good as it can, especially for what I'm undertaking. Something like overture or edge of darkness where they're doing lots of things different is OK. It doesn't have to be perfect, it's a fangame, they're non canonical, and they're going for their own thing. However, I'm going for 100% authenticity, and that requires no one be able to make any sort of claim saying it goes against the originals. Some examples of things I wouldn't mind changing if this wasn't supposed to be hyper authentic:

Changed HUD

Ring Art

Music

Sounds

Monitors

Springs

However, I need to keep those like the original, for the sake of authenticity. Overture demonstrates what I mean well; Fantastic new HUD, Shiny new rings, and more. In a game like this, where I could theoretically call the game sonic 4 and no one would get mad, I need to keep things like the way they were consistently throughout the original 4 games.

1. I beg to differ. I believe to make a sequel right, the gameplay is the core. It's obviously not the most important, but it's the foundation. Without a strong foundation, the final product will fall short to what preceded it.

I'm going for authenticity. I want this game to feel so freaking legit you could actually convince some one sega made this a long time ago. I'm talking down to the wire, like obscure cheat codes for level select, a full fledged secret debug mode, and everything.

Looking at how accurate worlds is compared to the christian whitehead engine, or even the originals. Worlds actually isn't that accurate. I'm working on that. Spoilers, I know, but sonic worlds at sage is all about acuracy. (thats not all there is to it though, wink wink) Worlds is currently on par with the whitehead engine. By time I'm done with it, it will be more accurate.

Anyways

The game is obviously, in the end, about the levels, the level designs, etc. I know that. But in my opinion, the core of the game needs to be as good as it can, especially for what I'm undertaking. Something like overture or edge of darkness where they're doing lots of things different is OK. It doesn't have to be perfect, it's a fangame, they're non canonical, and they're going for their own thing. However, I'm going for 100% authenticity, and that requires no one be able to make any sort of claim saying it goes against the originals. Some examples of things I wouldn't mind changing if this wasn't supposed to be hyper authentic:

Changed HUD

Ring Art

Music

Sounds

Monitors

Springs

However, I need to keep those like the original, for the sake of authenticity. Overture demonstrates what I mean well; Fantastic new HUD, Shiny new rings, and more. In a game like this, where I could theoretically call the game sonic 4 and no one would get mad, I need to keep things like the way they were consistently throughout the original 4 games.

I didn't say don't make the game play right, I said the most basic of features are already completed in Worlds, so you putting so much emphasis on conserving classic tradition is misplaced effort. With the exception of looping Y-axis levels, Sonic Worlds surpasses the capabilities of any given genesis title in just about every way. Sonic 2 is my favorite genesis title and it is rife with easy to find glitches, most of which kill you. As for keeping art assets "faithful"...Im sure sega was more concerned with how to make things move faster and look cooler while making deadlines.

Hell you could put boost into the game and the only way anyone could argue it was non-authentic is if it didn't work. How is that any different from Sonic 2 adding Spindash? Or Sonic 3 adding air dashes, double jumps and invincible shielding? Or Advance adding secondary actions, burst mode, or tag actions?

I know we're speculating a fangame idea here. But you say you want to make a legit-feeling Sonic 4, but you're snuffing the better portion of its potential out when being "classic faithful" is your main goal. "Classic faithful" isn't graphical style or ring sprites, its "new and exciting to play". 

That's a personal peeve of mine when it comes to this place. But hey its your game, it being good is all that counts.

Edited by Serephim
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

1: widescreen

2: 4 more zones

3: classic trio

4: kept similar to S3&K

5: sonic 3

6: sonic 3 act transitions

7: i think it should only have local and online multiplayer if the game has split screen for local and 2 screens for online

8: keep it like sonic 3

9: only if its like a puzzle that you have to do should tails have a separate path

10: no separate bosses

11: new pls

just thought id say i love sonic 3 and like sonic 2 so you know why i chose mainly sonic 3 options

yah they need to put more time and effert into sonic games thats probably why sonic 06 was sucha bad game they didnt really take the time and THINK before they puplished this game! (some things did ok in my book though)

sonic generations was a great game

sonic colors is a good game

sonic lost world was ok

sonic 06....(do i even need to say it?)

sonic adventure was cool

sonic adventure 2 was awsome

sonic boom (we'll see)