A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Proper metronome system

So Sage has come and gone and from the reviews of my game, Ive gathered that people where most displeased with the lack of the metronome in my game being synced with the BGM. Ive been trying to get this to work but Im not exactly sure how to get this down. Ive looked some places but the most i can find is a metronome tutorial. I need to make it so that it is possible for me to match the BGMs bpm with the HUDs metronome in JAM. Any help will be much appreciated, thank you.

NOTE: FPS is 60 and i messed around with the alarm object that the metronome was under by making the alarm go off at around 12 steps if that information helps.

NOTE: My apologies, I completely forgot to mention this is for Game Maker 8.

Edited by ECLIPSc70

What you are describing is very complicated and generally requires more fine grained control than what you will ever have in MMF or GM. You can get close, but there is no magic trick for getting it to be exact and the guess work involved is massive.  I can't even guarantee that if you go to the pain of tweaking everything to have the right timings yourself that you'll even be able to sync it up across every box due to variance in loading times for sounds, slight delays between sound processing and hitting the speakers, and also the video delay.

This might be a good opportunity to learn a little C++.  Stepmania is open source and has handled all of these problems.

https://github.com/stepmania/stepmania/tree/master/src

If you really must stick to MMF/GM/whatever for this though, you might consider looking into making your music play procedurally from wav files in engine.  It's a lot of work, but it might even lead to better results in the long run.

Thank you very much. JAM isnt the only game that I'd like to use this mechanic in so Ill do some research on this. By chance I dont really understand what you meant by "making the music play from wave files in engine," if its not too much trouble would you care to explain a bit so I can understand what Ill be looking for when I go to do research?

Edited by ECLIPSc70

Basically, think like MIDI files... you don't have a single audio file with all of the audio done as a single track that lasts for 3 minutes.  Instead, you have a bunch of audio files each of which is one note for a single instrument that can be played and you have some kind of plain text file or something indicate what gets played and on which frames. It's a little complicated... but you could use how many frames have passed in order to play the sound effects and that would form the basis of your music.

MIDI is actually a little bit more complicated than just that btw.