A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Seeking artist(s)/animator(s)/other for Digimon: Heroic Battle Spirit

Candescence

So, as detailed on the SAGE page for Digimon: Heroic Battle Spirit, I'm looking for someone who can help me with art and animation for the game:

Well, what happens in the future is going to be a bit interesting. Right now, with this demo, I’m pretty much limited entirely to existing game assets (and not just from Digimon games) and open-source assets, which are both neat, but they have their limitations, and they can easily result in clashing/inconsistent art. Long story short, if I want to really complete this game as I envision it, I’ll need help. Aside from presenting a demo, I’m using SAGE as a platform to advertise for artists and other people who are interested in making this whole thing work.

Primarily, I’m looking for an artist(s), an optional plural, because I intend to redo as many assets from scratch as possible, from level art to character animations. The existing assets are great, but I don’t really want to be restricted to what there is right now, if I want to expand the gameplay, for example (the existing sprites were designed for a rather simple fighting game, let’s be honest), not to mention I want a consistent art style across the board, which is important. And I’d like to be able to have higher-quality art assets, which would be neat. Oh, and let’s not forget additional characters – Masaru Daimon/Marcus Damon was supposed to be the single-player main character, not Agumon!

What I’m mainly looking at for animation work is the program Spriter, by Brashmonkey. It’s tech that is similar to what is used in games like Rayman Origins/Legends, and anything Vannilaware’s done (Odin Sphere, Muramasa, Dragon’s Crown, etc), and when the tool is used properly, the results can look superb. As well, animations can be created and tweaked much more easily than traditional animation, scaled better, enables character customization, heavily reduces RAM usage, includes support for stuff like collision rectangles, and already has native Construct 2 support. I like traditional animation as much as anyone, but I’d like to save my time and my artist’s time when it comes to creating assets, animations, and iterating on them. If nothing else, Spriter is great for easily prototyping animations.

I'm not sure if any of you fellas would be remotely interested in working on a non-Sonic title, but it's worth a shot. With only existing game assets and open-source stuff to work with, and with me not being very good at art stuff, this is pretty much my only avenue for being able to have the game's art in a unified and consistent form. Plus, it would enable me to modify the gameplay and characters, and make new ones.

Right now, I'm looking at Spriter for doing character animations, mainly for practical reasons, including easy iteration of animations and less RAM usage, and a whole bunch of other cool features (hitboxes, character customization/skinning, animation blending, among others), and it has a native Construct 2 plugin (which is due for an update to bring it up to date with Spriter overall). Traditional animation is nice, but I do want to make it easier on myself and whoever's doing the animation work. Spriter also works well for effects and, say, menu animations, depending on how you use it. Oh, and it's cheap as hell right now.

Also, I would like someone to help out with music and sound effects, since I'd like some more original tunes and some Digimon remixes.

But, yeah. If anyone's interested in helping out, just drop me a line via PM or something.

Edited by Candescence

• 4 months later...

Well, SAGE is coming up, so I'm renewing the call for help, I mainly need sprites for the miniboss and main boss for the new level I'm making for the new demo (and maybe some other stuff if there's time). It would really be great if I could get some help with that.