A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic R (20XX)

Pulse0

Sonic R (20XX)  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Intrested in the project?

• YES! I'd like to be a member of the team as well.
    • Yea, but id like to see mockups and concept(s) before I sign.
    • Yea Im intrested, but Im sorry I cant help.
    • Eh, we'll see
    • Nope, not enough to grab me. show concept(s) at least.
    • Nope, Tired idea/Not Intresting enough
    • NO WAY! The idea is lame! Don't bother trying to run with it.

GoodAfternoon.

I am Pulse0 and this is my proposal for a project called Sonic R (2014) or what ever year it gets done.

Ive always been at ends with wich fan-game I should make Starfox or Sonic. I am a very abitious person so even now if i could i'd like to find a way to actually force this game in to the official zone but for now its just at fan game Pre-Production, since i dont have a team but that enough of intros.

-------------------------------

ArtSonicR_zpsef9fe261.png

(2014)

Is a racing project fan game aimed at redoing (not remaking) the original game and making footracing game for the sonic franchise.

Sonic has always had moments of competing on foot, in a vs mode but I want to translate that into a full game.

This game intends to use low poly models, and non proscessor heavy effects like bloom. dispite the memory this game should be runable on an N64 or PSP if need be. Reason being is to...

• To bring back the lost art of old games.
  • Allow older less powerfull computers to play.
  • Faster Model out put
  • More things can be tossed In.

This game intends to be fully 3d, simialr to Sonic3d blast (saturn) Special stage, Sonic Jam over world, Sonic R (original), Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heros, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). Hence No 2d

The game will have various modes including those belonging to both the lost age of racing genre and modern racing such as...

• Lap Elimination
  • Check Point Race
  • Tournament Knockout
  • Team Race
  • Boost race

Sonic R (2014) is intended to power-ups and keep things fun, like Mario-kart. A Ring system, for extras, A very simple story and local split screen. As well as branching paths and secrets and and Granprix mode, in tribute to the original.

--------------------------

As those are all great to think about I need help to put it into action. For a director without staff sucks. Im not here as a helpless patron asking for people to do all the work for me while I just give directions. I will also be the Lead Artist, trying to cook up assets for the game. but I still need team members. All though out my planing this game is intended to be made in Unity. An engine made from the ground up to suit the needs of this game. I feel it more accessible and easier for me to work with to import assets. Ive seen the Blitz and the FreeRunner engine and I'm not pleased at all. I don't want this made in the UDK, this is a Unity project.

With that said I need...

• CODERS: my biggest problem is not knowing how to code at all, so with out coders this game wont happen. Ideally at minimum I would LIKE 3 coders but I NEED at least 1!

• Modelers/Riggers/Animators/Texture Artist: If your a rigger fine, if you can animate fine, but if you can MODEL 3d objects GREAT!! Much of the content depends on simply having the model. For the time being with no staff I will be doing all that myself but, being in the production of Super Smash Flash 2 i KNOW i need additional people to help with this. 2 extra hands would be more than I could wish for, the more the merrier.
    ( Maya, 3D Max, or Blender Modelers please! Maya would be best since I use Maya2011)

• Concept Artist : I will be doing this too but again the more the merrier!

-----

Ive been dreaming about a game like this since the release of Sonic Adventure 2. I have tons of ideas, and things i'd love to see happen but i need a team or at least a coder.

. . . . As for Images. . . . I will add some concepts and mock up of the direction im pulling for in a few days so look back here if your interested. I posted this now to know if I have a possible do or a dud  on my plate after years of obsessing over the idea.

Edited by Pulse0

Sorry I took so long, but here are a few of my level designs,

2uptouh.png

rus4yt.png

2jchjb9.png

I use google sketchup in order to make my 3d models. You can see screenshots for these maps in my fangame's thread. I would be happy to help out! Keep in mind these are not race maps though.

Edited by a cat

I like the concept and stuff!

The maps looks like SRB2's one however. (They look like they're made in Doom Builder)

Fresh Face is giving an example of his level designing skills, it is from doom builder which i was afraid of, but i have yet to hear back from him on the issue of modeling actual modeling.

Guest Mr Lange

Oh man I'd like to help with this because I've always wanted a Sonic R 2, but I'm too busy right now. Judging by the pics here it looks like you're using the modern designs, so there's already tons of character models ready to go. The only ones left would be the eggmobile, Amy's car, Tails Doll and Metal Knuckles. One thing I'd love to see in this is a remake of any or all of the stages from Sonic R.

I loved Sonic R but years after the fact i cant decide whether it was good or bad.

As for the game...this being 3D really cuts your chances, especially if you aren't a programmer but plan on doing this from the ground up. There's the Sonic GDK engine and that other one (with the really bad handling) that you may be able to use. Just putting that out there, since 3D fangames apparently have a much worse half life.

Edited by Serephim

Oh man I'd like to help with this because I've always wanted a Sonic R 2, but I'm too busy right now. Judging by the pics here it looks like you're using the modern designs, so there's already tons of character models ready to go. The only ones left would be the eggmobile, Amy's car, Tails Doll and Metal Knuckles. One thing I'd love to see in this is a remake of any or all of the stages from Sonic R.

Ok, Um id dont like to start out like this but here goes....

1. no such thing as Modern and Classic sonic, just one sonic, his design has changed so what, so has every character ever made. Its a stupid argument that is perpetuated throughout the sonic fan base and it needs to end. ( i could waist time giving an essay as to why, but this not the place for it)

2. I will not be using pre-made models, Sonic Adventure Up has too high a poly-count from what i stated, and the Sonic Hand held models are done in Tri's not quads like I'd like them to be in, and hand held models are seriously difficult to come by.

3. Amy's car will not be used b/c Amy can run just as fast as sonic (as seen in games), Tails doll and Metal Knuckles might be removed from the game for 2 reasons - the first being they take lower priority in relation to the other characters I wish to use. the second being that there uses might pose a problem (tails doll) 

4. Yea actually plan on it, but with a few tweaks to the stages so they're aren't broken like in the original.

I loved Sonic R but years after the fact i cant decide whether it was good or bad.

As for the game...this being 3D really cuts your chances, especially if you aren't a programmer but plan on doing this from the ground up. There's the Sonic GDK engine and that other one (with the really bad handling) that you may be able to use. Just putting that out there, since 3D fangames apparently have a much worse half life.

Thanks for the concern, i kinda know my chances are slim to get a coder for a 3d game but there just has to be one person out there willing to help. The sonic GDK is not what im looking for nor the Blitz, and there both unreal engins and I never liked the unreal engine anyway. There is only one fan game other than this (is trying to do) and that is FanGame remix which went on to be 90's racer. I need this game in Unity 3d, this is my best chance to get it right and I'm sticking with it. 

@MrLang and Serephim

Thanks for your comments and you both make me glad to know I'm not the only one who looks at this topic.

Or is even considers this budding project.  Thanks again, its really helpful

I don't think he was explicitly pointing out the difference in the designs as much as calling them by their names. They're defined as "classic" and "modern" Sonic in Generations and I'm pretty sure he was trying to say that with the "modern" style models found in Generations and whatever that most of the work is already there for you.. but going by what you're saying, you think they're a bit much? :v

Do what you must. Blitz isn't a good direction so good on you for not taking it, but I'd beg to differ with GDK since it can do so much for designing a game. You'll have to work from a base otherwise. Whatever you do, I trust you can do fairly well; especially if you're planning on using Unity3D. Good luck!

Guest Mr Lange

Ok, Um id dont like to start out like this but here goes....

1. no such thing as Modern and Classic sonic, just one sonic, his design has changed so what, so has every character ever made. Its a stupid argument that is perpetuated throughout the sonic fan base and it needs to end. ( i could waist time giving an essay as to why, but this not the place for it)

2. I will not be using pre-made models, Sonic Adventure Up has too high a poly-count from what i stated, and the Sonic Hand held models are done in Tri's not quads like I'd like them to be in, and hand held models are seriously difficult to come by.

3. Amy's car will not be used b/c Amy can run just as fast as sonic (as seen in games), Tails doll and Metal Knuckles might be removed from the game for 2 reasons - the first being they take lower priority in relation to the other characters I wish to use. the second being that there uses might pose a problem (tails doll) 

4. Yea actually plan on it, but with a few tweaks to the stages so they're aren't broken like in the original.

I consider a very definitive line to exist between the original Sonic and the modern reboot that began in 1998. The series took on a completely different style after that. Doesn't matter, when I say classic or modern Sonic, I'm referring to the designs, and if I say modern, it includes anything added/modified in the series since Sonic Adventure.

Sonic Adventure has too HIGH a poly count? So you know, it's about N64 level. Sonic's model in Sonic Shuffle has been used to replace Link in an Ocarina of Time hack no problem. But anyway, if you're shooting for that low poly, it'll be easier for modelers if you want everything done from scratch. It's still a tall order though. Also, all models are converted to tris in the end, it is unavoidable for games. Quads are only a convenience for the modeler. Generally, game models are made in quads before conversion, and there's tools in modeling programs like Blender that find polygons that are obvious quad to tri conversions and filters them back into quads.

3Z7nDBH.png

Oh, sorry... (kinda went a bit too forward)

---------------

@Azookara

yea I think its too much, considering how want this game done. High poly's chug slow computers, for example my Desktop PC cant play much at all form after GameCube PC ports, my MacBook Pro is pretty much Next Gen ready. Personally I want a old style of thinking, back then you had to have creativity to push a what a system lacked, I figure low poly's will force us to work smart, and allow more to be packed in.

@Mr. Lang

as for Sonic Adventure, the sonic adventure model is higher than the sonic shuffle model. even so, I'm not too strict on models i just don't want them going over 2000 tri's. I use Auto-desk Maya 2011 so it doesn't have a tri to quad function (as far as i know) Plus its not just characters that need modeling its stages too, and assets for the stages. I wont have those "Z-brush" Environments I'm used to seeing, and if I have no modelers I'll do it myself, I already have A sonic model done, I just need to do is texture and rig Ive just been lazy.

@OverBounD

Thanks for the Heads up, but with this type of project I dont think he'd be able to steal any thing really, Plus i have specifications marked down for what's what and how to pipeline this. I just need a Unity 3D coder to get this in motion... (sob*)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, your idea is very interesting indeed. A friend of mine ripped the sonic R levels to UDK to test in sgdk for fun in HD. So I fing this idea really interesting.

This game intends to use low poly models, and non proscessor heavy effects like bloom. dispite the memory this game should be runable on an N64 or PSP if need be. Reason being is to...

• Allow older less powerfull computers to play.

But why think in redoing, or make a closer one to run in slower pcs? Isnt the original good for it? Also the Psp and N64 specs and development are quite different. What is the platform range you thinking in aiming, like, a Pentium 4 generation, Dual core/Athlonx2? Is a little difficult people have pc older than these, and these would be a good spec for most (almost all) fan games.

If you plan to keep going, is best to start from a already made engine than make one, than do the necessary modifications in the character controls. Unless you have a very good team of coders determined to make from scratch. Also, ther is SGDK, that is made in UDK, that have the scaleform support, using flash to make screens and Hud, like the one you did, works very well without need to code.

Despite the obvious chalenges, I would like to help any project like that if proved to be able to sustain itself. But only if aim at  more modern computers range, from core 2 duo to foward.

Best of luck!

Hey, your idea is very interesting indeed. A friend of mine ripped the sonic R levels to UDK to test in sgdk for fun in HD. So I fing this idea really interesting.

But why think in redoing, or make a closer one to run in slower pcs? Isnt the original good for it? Also the Psp and N64 specs and development are quite different. What is the platform range you thinking in aiming, like, a Pentium 4 generation, Dual core/Athlonx2? Is a little difficult people have pc older than these, and these would be a good spec for most (almost all) fan games.

If you plan to keep going, is best to start from a already made engine than make one, than do the necessary modifications in the character controls. Unless you have a very good team of coders determined to make from scratch. Also, ther is SGDK, that is made in UDK, that have the scaleform support, using flash to make screens and Hud, like the one you did, works very well without need to code.

Despite the obvious chalenges, I would like to help any project like that if proved to be able to sustain itself. But only if aim at  more modern computers range, from core 2 duo to foward.

Best of luck!

I wouldn't the original game is good for give the inherent flaws with the game but I get your point. When I say older or slower computer im actually aiming to have the game runnable on high settings on a

Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core. 5600+ 2.80GHz with 3GB of Ram

That's my target, unfortunately the Current GDK can not run on such a system, all the chromatic aberration, Sub Surface Scattering, Reflective, Glow, and Blur affects all press on the processor even at low settings, not to mention the amount of polygons on screen.  A good art direction can get rid off all of this, and people tend to rely heavily on graphic processing power that they forget fundamentals like art direction, and things end up looking run of the mill and nothing stands out. There are limits to this but come on.

As for ready made engines, I know Unity3D is the easiest engine to code for and the most common to get a speedy 3D game up and running, and its lighting and effects arn't processor heavy and is the most versatile of engines. I actually know how want things to work, and if i knew how to go about it myself, I wouldn't hesitate to get cracking on some code. HOWEVER, looking into this, and from all the feed back I've gotten, and this point in still looking for a coder, id take any one versed in UDK, granted they can do things like

• automated running for certain loops - along with cinematic camera like in Sonic adventure 2
  • Turn off all those unnecessary visual effects
  • Split screen
  • Reworking character abilities
  • Readjusting physics to that of a car with weight differentiation, turning, acceleration etc. 
  • New power ups
  • Setting up Unlockable Handlers
  • Waking Vs Running
  • And so on...

I really plan for this to feel like legitimate game not a tech demo.

As for sustenance, as long as the game has a dedicated coder (as at-least one coder that knows what he/she is doing)

The game development will be sustained.

but i do ask why core duo forward?

I wouldn't the original game is good for give the inherent flaws with the game but I get your point. When I say older or slower computer im actually aiming to have the game runnable on high settings on a

Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core. 5600+ 2.80GHz with 3GB of Ram

That's my target, unfortunately the Current GDK can not run on such a system, all the chromatic aberration, Sub Surface Scattering, Reflective, Glow, and Blur affects all press on the processor even at low settings, not to mention the amount of polygons on screen.  A good art direction can get rid off all of this, and people tend to rely heavily on graphic processing power that they forget fundamentals like art direction, and things end up looking run of the mill and nothing stands out. There are limits to this but come on.

As for ready made engines, I know Unity3D is the easiest engine to code for and the most common to get a speedy 3D game up and running, and its lighting and effects arn't processor heavy and is the most versatile of engines. I actually know how want things to work, and if i knew how to go about it myself, I wouldn't hesitate to get cracking on some code. HOWEVER, looking into this, and from all the feed back I've gotten, and this point in still looking for a coder, id take any one versed in UDK, granted they can do things like

• automated running for certain loops - along with cinematic camera like in Sonic adventure 2
  • Turn off all those unnecessary visual effects
  • Split screen
  • Reworking character abilities
  • Readjusting physics to that of a car with weight differentiation, turning, acceleration etc. 
  • New power ups
  • Setting up Unlockable Handlers
  • Waking Vs Running
  • And so on...

I really plan for this to feel like legitimate game not a tech demo.

As for sustenance, as long as the game has a dedicated coder (as at-least one coder that knows what he/she is doing)

The game development will be sustained.

but i do ask why core duo forward?

Well, for example, most people will buy ready made computers, so we can say that a good graphic detail range would be suported by computers from that and on, of course some supositions are made, like, is expected the computer have at least 2gb of ram and if is a computer a little better will have at least a low end graphics card. For me I prefer to do stuff from this and onward because limitations would not be acceptable, depending on the project. Since Sonic R tracks are small, probably most will do fine..

What is bad is the comunity dont have a big number of people making 3d games, opposed to 2d. Would I like to know the reasons, maybe just a preference for the 2d really. All that feeling and interesting art...

If you think in going in sgdk, you can pm me to talk, I been using it for some 2 years now, I may know one thing or other, but primary UDK, modelling, and sgdk resources. I think is possible to see stuff I posted in my posts if you want.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mr Lange

That looks like a higher poly count (with slightly more complicated geometry) than the Sonic Adventure model, but ok then. It's pretty well done anyway.