A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

This is separate from the project I am working on (yes YI inspired), its less to do with it but something to show off. I was working on a splash screen for SFGHQ and this is what I came up with. I know its a bit pompous to change the branding of the site, but the current branding is not in my opinion the best, and needs a bit of tweaking before it looks professional - as professional as it could be, if you understand all that.

[qimg]http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/550/splashox.png[/qimg]

I haven't animated anything yet, but the idea I had was for several pieces of fan gaming sprites for rings, springs, bumpers ect. to fall into the text behind the white outline. Or something like that, to distinguish it from the Sonic Retro splash but to keep it in line with it, since it was another splash screen I was using.

Looks cool, man. :3

I actually thought on doing an video-splashscreen for public use but since videos are usually more expensive and harder to use for newcommers, I gave up on that... Also the fact that people nowadays have games in so variated resolutions that I would have to render it out a few times. Who knows, maybe in the near future.

Thank you. Need to actually animate it. Thought it may be cool if it contained sprites from different fan games or well known sprites from the site. So there are a few that can be randomised much like the Retro ones.

That's pretty damn neat.

Just a little thing: See how the SFG part has a white outline, and a dark blue shadow. The "HQ parallelogram" has the white outline, but no shadow. I think it'd look more uniform if you add that in.

Nice to see a refreshing renewal of the site's identity. If the people are okay with it, put up a big version so I can replace the logo in the default theme. :]

That's pretty damn neat.

Just a little thing: See how the SFG part has a white outline, and a dark blue shadow. The "HQ parallelogram" has the white outline, but no shadow. I think it'd look more uniform if you add that in.

Nice to see a refreshing renewal of the site's identity. If the people are okay with it, put up a big version so I can replace the logo in the default theme. :]

I think it looks fine without a shadow on the parallelogram.

And I'm all for replacing the old thingamabob on the banner.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1572&d=1338814517

Creating a new HUD and I could use some feedback on this mockup. To point a few things out, green bar is meant to be a health bar, Tails, Knuckles and Amy icons are your party members and I think the rings counter should be move elsewhere. So, Should I continue with this design or start again from scratch?

post-6418-138639765302_thumb.jpg

I think that looks better, yeah. ^_^ Now, everything that's in the player's "inventory" is huddled together on the console (party members, lives and rings), and since Time is something independent from the player's possessions, it makes sense to detach it. Plus this way, if you ever have a hub world or some other location that isn't timed, you can easily make the timer invisible without it leaving a gaping hole in the HUD.

You can also do it advance style and just have the timer in the upper center area of the screen.

Aside from that, I think the health bar needs to be a little more noticeable. Try increasing its width a little bit, move the lives counter to the right of the rings, see what you can get there.

And one more thing: Increase the ring counter font size - it should be a bit more prominent.

shot.png

Includes full common collision, a level mapping loader, a screen manager allowing me to make menus and camera with rotation and zoom.

It's nothing big, but I'm very proud of my baby boy.

YOU WANT A SPOILER? Remember that engine I made that gave Knuckles parkour-like movements? Well, I've been gathering concepts from it.

@Strife: That's a good point. Originally, I never thought about having the Hud on the overworld maps but that idea in mind, would save people having to switch back to the menu to see the important stats.

@TailsSena: I'll try that out as well. Afterall, I'm still playing around with the layout and what the Hud will show. gsoft mentioned a good idea for the time counter so I'll still play around with it.

@gsoft: That's probably the best option at the moment as I don't want to crowd one part of the screen with all the details. Afterall, the Hud itself is providing heaps of info by itself and cramming more counters into the corner wouldn't look that good. As for the Ring font that was used, it's really there as a place holder as I'm using the standard SAdv font for numbers.

@LH: That parkour engine was interesting. Good to hear that it still exists in concept.

@Cleberson: Man, that engine of yours at the moment looks like one of the most complete engines I've seen due to all the gimmicks and elements you've included. Looking forward for a demo.