A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Metal Sonic Hyperdrive - Thanksgiving Release 2013

Metal Sonic

WadderMain.png
Metal_Sonic_Hyperdrive_cover.png

Metal Sonic Hyperdrive is a heavy modification of Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) by Darkon360/GothicReaper/LoneDevil for the Sega Genesis.
with brand new Zones, Sonic CD style gameplay, Music, Playable Characters, and Modes. Starting Metal Sonic, taking Sonic's role as the main protagonist to stop Dr'Robotnik's greatest inventions yet. Also starting special guests such as Kirby, and Somari.
(who're meant to be Unlockables due to technical difficulties, also there for the lulz.)

Story:
One Day, after the defeat of Dr'Robotnik by the hands of Sonic. Robotnik decided to rebuild Eggrobo to travel Mobius to search for the Chaos Emeralds. Eggrobo kidnapped Tails in the Mystic Ruins, by sending him into Metallic Madness, but luckily, Tails escaped. he decided to sneak into Robotnik's lab and grab the parts of his robots and pieces. Tails later go to his home in the Mystic Ruins and created a new robot, based off Metal Sonic's classic model, Codename: METAL. with the ability to feel and behave almost exactly like Sonic. Tails was able to track Eggrobo to where hes heading by using his Radar, so Tails sent Metal Sonic to Resort Isle, where Eggrobo was heading to. in hopes to find the Chaos Emeralds and destroy Dr'Eggman's plans once and for all.

Controls:
METAL SONIC
Jump + A/B/C - Jumpdash
Jump + Up + A - Super Transformation
Up + A/B/C - Super Peel Out
Down + A/B/C - Spindash (Sonic CD style)

LONE DEVIL
Jump + A/B/C - Mid Air Dash
Jump + Up + A/B/C - Vertical Hell Scythe
Jump + Down + A/B/C - Free Fall

KIRBY
Jump + A/B/C - Float/Fly
Down + A/B/C - Inhale
Up + A/B/C - Run

SOMARI THE ADVENTURER
Down + A/B/C - Spindash (Sonic 2 style)
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG
Down + A/B/C - Spindash (Sonic CD style)

Credits:
Metal Sonic Sprites - Yuski and CS
Somari Sprites - Marioguru64
Smash Bros Melee Kirby Sprites - Drshnaps
Music Ports - KCEXE
Music - Nineko
Sonic 2 Level Select & Options port - Esrael
Sonic 2 Clone Driver - Tweaker
Main Menu, Magnetize Rings, and Splash Screen code - HckTrox
Peel Out, and Extended Camera - Selbi
Sonic 1 Custom Title Screen Font - Dr-Luxcario

More Info in Metal Sonic Hyperdrive Homepage

Download Rom

Boxart Covers
USA/NTSC-U
Europe/PAL
Japan/NTSC-J

Cart Stickers
USA/NTSC-U
Europe/PAL
Japan/NTSC-J Edited by Darkon
  • Like 2

I played through that hack to Eggopolis where I game overed because I was trying to run through it too fast. I have to say that's one of the best hacks I've ever played. The level design was very CD like and the levels were fair but not without plenty of hazards. The boss remixes were well thought out and difficulty was spot on. I am quite impressed, this game flows really well. The only thing that could have made it better is if I could have run through it with Sonic and a regular spindash and insta shield. Then I'd have been in heaven.

I'll be sure to check this out since this clearly isn't your average run of the mill hack. I usually don't look to much into hacks for various reasons but from what I've seen of the game in the video I'm quite impressed. I may feature it on my channel if I get the time.

I was going to post but I forgot, lol. Anyway, this seriously one of the greatest hacks I've ever played, although I have no idea how collecting chaos emeralds work in this hack, I've played through it 5 times, once with each character but could never figure that out.

Man I cannot believe no one here cares about this release. It's really great! So great in fact I posted it to the front page of Sonic United.

Awesome, I appreciate it man.

I was going to post but I forgot, lol. Anyway, this seriously one of the greatest hacks I've ever played, although I have no idea how collecting chaos emeralds work in this hack, I've played through it 5 times, once with each character but could never figure that out.

I forgot to point that out that breaking a Emerald monitor enables the giant ring once, to get a Chaos Emerald, without Special stages. (max emerald count is still 6)

I knew I should've broke that box. Now I can't find it. Anyways, this was a great game. If felt more like a completely new game experience all together. I did find myself quite happy while playing and its level design was superb. But.. my only complaint, Sonic while understandably weaker (because hes a secondary character) is kinda off-putting. If he'd had just a normal spindash he would've been perfect. But seeing as I complete'd my first playthrough with em it became less noticeable quickly. Very good title and I wouldn't even dare consider this as anything less than a full game! Hope more people see this.

Made a couple of bugfixes regarding wallzipping Botanic Lake acts. (can easily be done by using Kirby and getting pushed into a wall while inhaling) and a rare Resort Isle act 1 graphic bug removed, along with slight odd object placement fixed. i've also updated MD covers due to the overlooked "Lock-On" logo. the updated rom is at the same download urls.

HyperdriveJAPcover_zps6f104337.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

aw darn I only got to wallzip once and it's already been patched :/

EDIT: well I wallzipped A LOT, but only managed to accomplish horizontal underflow once. 

EDIT2: There are other ways to get stuck in walls, and I intend to find them!

Any plans of a hyperdrive 2? 

Actually,  with all your Metal Sonic/Kirby in Sonic 1/2 you could make a super hack! Sonic 1 and 2 w/ hyperdrive characters and controls, yeah. 

I like that the OC isn't a sonic-character but more bleach-ish. It's a nice design and he plays well. Good for EXTREME runs.

Edited by lone8643
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...