A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

3D Special Stage Engine

Special Stage Engine

I take back what I said earlier about not needing a topic as I probably will release this for others to use once its fully completed.

Basically, I spent the week learning and working with Gamemakers 3D graphics to recreate the Special Stages that Sonic CD had.

Current Features:

• 2 types of movement: Free movement and CD movement(always moving forwards like Sonic CD)
  • Basic UFO's and Enemies to destroy
  • Dash Pads
  • Springs and fans
  • 3D platforms
  • Spike traps
  • Quickstep, Bounce and Spin Dash
  • 2 pre-programmed Special Stage goals
  • Zero robot from Sonic Advance 2's Special Stage
  • Ring Loss

Possible Upcoming:

• Editable GMK
  • Homing attack
  • More platform types
  • Particle effects
  • Parallax
  • Various pre-programmed Special Stage goals

Screenshots

ljm.th.pngwkkd.th.png8kmh.th.pngx87g.th.pngl1rm.th.png

Link:

http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/219041-sonic-3d-special-stages

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6w71q8bf17cg5sg/Update.rar

Feel free to make suggestions on what I should include as this engine is quite bare as it is.

Guest Mr Lange
You know what this would be awesome for? A racing game, Sonic Kart without the kart. Also you need to make the level bigger, Sonic feels way too big.

In that case it would only be interesting if there were vertical and 3d obstacles (platforms, walls, slopes) otherwise it would get pointless quickly. Such features would be beyond the scope of this project unless he's willing.

On the other hand it would be perfect for karts, given the mode 7 style of gameplay.

@ Infinity_Alex: Certain Virus Scanners really hate Gamemaker for some retarded reason so you may have to either lower the security for a few second to play it or watch videos of it. Also If it was a virus, Yoyo Games wouldn't have allowed me to upload it. Norton is the biggest offender

@Mr Lange: A kart race or race in general could work as another Special Stage type but as you said, I would have to add a bit more details like slopes and 3D obstacles which may be be difficult due to how I have programmed the engine so far.

@ TheJeli: As I mentioned above regarding a kart racer, programming in some of the other 3D objects may be impossible unless I change how I programmed the engine but I'll still give it a try as I am looking for suggestions on how to improve the engine.

Guest Mr Lange
@ Infinity_Alex: Certain Virus Scanners really hate Gamemaker for some retarded reason so you may have to either lower the security for a few second to play it or watch videos of it. Also If it was a virus, Yoyo Games wouldn't have allowed me to upload it. Norton is the biggest offender

@Mr Lange: A kart race or race in general could work as another Special Stage type but as you said, I would have to add a bit more details like slopes and 3D obstacles which may be be difficult due to how I have programmed the engine so far.

@ TheJeli: As I mentioned above regarding a kart racer, programming in some of the other 3D objects may be impossible unless I change how I programmed the engine but I'll still give it a try as I am looking for suggestions on how to improve the engine.

As long as you can ensure the new features are additive. That is, the engine works the same either way, but you can opt to not use the new features without sacrificing anything. If so, this could turn into something really cool. I wouldn't mind making a Sonic Drift 2 remake.

@ Andrew75: Nope but I do want to learn Unreal Script as the Unreal engine is amazing. Since this was built with Gamemaker, I can assume that they won't be that similar anyway.

@ TheJeli: I'll release this open source once I fixed the numerous bugs and add more features. I have somewhat fixed the Platform bug meaning that this could be used for platform games as well to some degree.

Edit: Also since Kart racer and Sonic R have being brought up, heres a little something I did a few minutes ago.

Now with even tighter controls

14ozMAC.png

I can actually. Depends though on which method I use though. Paths which mean the opponents will follow path around the track everytime which would be easier or an Ai that moves around the track by itself.

Edit: Forgot to say though that Racer Ai's will be made later on. I still have to finish building the core mechanics before I make side additions

Haven't played ATS yet so I have no idea which level(Edit: Derp, the first level. My bad) that is and also, I don't have the graphics nor Lakes permission to use his graphics. When I release the engine though, feel free to try it out as I'm only using this for the Special Stages for my other project.

Guest Mr Lange
Will this be open source, so then anyone can implement the tracks?

• Editable GMK

Does that answer your question Alex?

Hoping this gets far enough that I can take it apart for a Sonic Drift 2 remake, I really do want to do that.

Guest Mr Lange
Oh...

Would you be remaking the tracks then? That sound pretty damn sweet.

Indeed. New graphics, new sound, new music. I'd want it to look and sound better than the first Mario Kart.