A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Metal Gear Solid V : The Phantom Pain

Serephim

Normally if it were any other company making this game, I'd be fucking pissed, 4 tied up just about every loose end possible and the series was pretty much DONE.

But this is motherfucking Hideo Kojima, and he shits gold, he has yet to fail me.

I can only hope these 2 games don't go to ps4, I would like to play it on ps3 asap.

Normally if it were any other company making this game, I'd be fucking pissed, 4 tied up just about every loose end possible and the series was pretty much DONE.

But this is motherfucking Hideo Kojima, and he shits gold, he has yet to fail me.

I can only hope these 2 games don't go to ps4, I would like to play it on ps3 asap.

I believe it said 360 / PS3 at the end of the trailer, if that means anything.

And MGS5: The Phantom Pain is the name of the game, Ground Zeroes / Phantom Pain are both the same thing. Hideo was just trolling, as usual.

No Dave Hayter though. Can't say I'm happy.

Yeah...I think it's the same voice actor of Big Boss from MGS4 though.

I wonder if Kojima is planning to reintroduce a young Solid Snake in a future instalment. It would make sense to get us used to "Old Big Boss" if that's the case.

The only loophole is David Hayter played Old Snake, and because Solid Snake is a near perfect copy of Big Boss then shouldn't he sound exactly the saAAAARRGHH my head hurts.

Oh, c'mon guys.

Hideo has a history of making stuff up to hype the game, it's his thing. He even said in one of his interviews that he enjoyed tricking people before a game was released.

His reason was something like "to make the game seem different/new/whatever". Hideo isn't that stupid.

When Hideo Kojima says "David Hayter won't be voicing Snake", it is pretty much confirmed that David Hayter will be voicing Snake.

Oh, c'mon guys.

Hideo has a history of making stuff up to hype the game, it's his thing. He even said in one of his interviews that he enjoyed tricking people before a game was released.

His reason was something like "to make the game seem different/new/whatever". Hideo isn't that stupid.

When Hideo Kojima says "David Hayter won't be voicing Snake", it is pretty much confirmed that David Hayter will be voicing Snake.

David Hayter confirmed he won't be voicing Snake :(

I am a fan of certain voice actors just as much as anybody else, but being around this fandom way too long has made me sour to the discussions of certain voice actors being booted from such and such projects. Before we know it, there will be CLASSIC SNAKE VS MODERN SNAKE discussions and rants about his eyes.

Hayter was Snake and it sucks that he isn't Snake here because honestly I think his voice is really campy and its awesome- but that doesn't really diminish all the hard work being put into what is presumably going to be an amazing game does it? I just find people being so turned off from the game because of a reason like that to be kinda strange. Calls into question if people are actually fans of the series or just a fan of Hayter more than anything else haha. Then again my outlook may be different as I finally have started playing this series only recently after playing Rising, which is more of my flavour anyway. All the same I am looking forward to MGS5.

I am a fan of certain voice actors just as much as anybody else, but being around this fandom way too long has made me sour to the discussions of certain voice actors being booted from such and such projects. Before we know it, there will be CLASSIC SNAKE VS MODERN SNAKE discussions and rants about his eyes.

Hayter was Snake and it sucks that he isn't Snake here because honestly I think his voice is really campy and its awesome- but that doesn't really diminish all the hard work being put into what is presumably going to be an amazing game does it? I just find people being so turned off from the game because of a reason like that to be kinda strange. Calls into question if people are actually fans of the series or just a fan of Hayter more than anything else haha. Then again my outlook may be different as I finally have started playing this series only recently after playing Rising, which is more of my flavour anyway. All the same I am looking forward to MGS5.

In a way i agree, and in a way i also sympathize with the fanbase. When you have a voice actor protraying a character (especially in such a dialogue heavy medium like Metal Gear) for such a long time , changing the voice actor should not be such a matter-of-fact decision. Certainly not for something like "Western appeal" or "changing the direction". If Mario, or Goofy or Mickey Mouse suddenly had a voicelift, you aren't only changing their voice, you're changing something alot deeper.

I've always loved MGS for being a great series. But my massive respect for the franchise (and Hideo), especially in MGS4, comes from its deep and serious narrative without trying to run away from ultimately just being videogame. And personally for me, David Hayter's portrayal of Snake is just a perfect execution of this. He's campy and funny, and delivers Snake in a way that keeps you immersed in the story, but dislodged enough to let Metal Gear's quirky humor and crazy plot twists not feel completely out of place.

I don't think the voice actor change is anything more than a minor annoyance though. If they want to try and distance Big Boss from Antagonist Big Boss then i can understand that.