A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Barack Obama has amnesia.

Eminence

In case you haven't heard, Barack Obama has a proposed a plan that requires the United States to spend $500 million dollars on a new Gun Control policy.

Riddle me this, is one Autistic kid really worth $500,000,000? Furthermore, didn't Barack Obama spend his first 4 years as President battling a recession?

What sense does it not make to splurge that kind of money so recklessly over an isolated incident? Do you want to make a difference? Stop all these 'Walks for Autism'.

I plan on protesting said events.

SOURCE: http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Obama-Gun-Control-cost/2013/01/16/id/471786

Without getting into political opinions on government spending, lets do some quick math.

(500,000,000 / 2,469,000,000,000) = 0.02025%

That's 2/100 of a percent of the federal income in 2012. Yes, there was a 1 trillion dollar defecit, but that's still less than half a point. It's chump change

I'm not saying there's better things to be doing with that money, but really, shit the fuck up.

In case you haven't heard, Barack Obama has a proposed a plan that requires the United States to spend $500 million dollars on a new Gun Control policy.

Riddle me this, is one Autistic kid really worth $500,000,000? Furthermore, didn't Barack Obama spend his first 4 years as President battling a recession?

What sense does it not make to splurge that kind of money so recklessly over an isolated incident? Do you want to make a difference? Stop all these 'Walks for Autism'.

I plan on protesting said events.

SOURCE: http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Obama-Gun-Control-cost/2013/01/16/id/471786

Eh, I'll humor you.

Half a billion is a drop in the bucket when it comes to the scale of our debt. Actually it's not even that much money on the scale of a medium-sized city. It's roughly enough to have 400 moderately decently payed (say 60k total expense per year per person) people for 20 years. I know it sounds astronomical, but it really isn't.

I don't find anything wrong with the stuff he has proposed, and I'm generally fairly conservative when it comes to gun rights. We can do better with guns than we've been doing while still allowing responsible people to have guns for sporting and defense purposes.

I will say that all this fuss over assault rifles is silly since a semi-automatic rifle isn't really all that much more effective than a semi-automatic handgun with a stock for doing a massacre like this. They aren't machine guns like people seem to be perceiving them lately. I mean, they can be... but not the ones you can buy.

Supposedly 1% of weapons dealers are responsible for something like 60% of the illegally distributed weapons recovered from use in crimes. That kind of shit probably needs to be looked into, and ATF is pretty much kept impotent to do so thanks to excessive lobbying and riders... or at least that's what I heard tonight on the Daily Show :P

What sense does it not make to splurge that kind of money so recklessly over an isolated incident?

Last I checked the United States of America is one of the countries with highest total gun related deaths. Isolated indeed.

Do you want to make a difference? Stop all these 'Walks for Autism'.

I'm going to take offence to that.

Jobs

$500,000,000 could create funding for 20,000 jobs paying $25,000 a year. Now, use your resources to create more profit. Open factories across the nation, use the profit to help pay off our debt.

It's jobs either way, and as I explained (well, glossed over really, but the numbers were there) above, this 500,000,000 isn't budgeted yearly, it's the budget for the duration of the program (unless someone were to increase that fund later). The government doesn't do manufacturing of any kind anyway, so what you are saying is a moot point. I mean... unless what you are really saying is the government should give that money to private industries to create manufacturing jobs, and if so, fuck giving more private corporations more free tax money, seriously.

Also you didn't account for any of the expenses of those 20,000 beyond just 25,000 per person in pay. You'd be lucky if all of the other costs (social security, health benefits, benefits given to typical government workers beyond that) didn't end up making those 25k salary positions into 45k of costs.

Stopping walks for autism would just end up causing this to happen more. a large number of autistics are basically shunned and thrown in a corner because their family refuses to get them any sort of treatment. it is very possible to get an autistic person to function just as well as anyone else with the right help, and if not that far then atleast get them to a state where they can communicate well enough to tell how they are feeling.

are you REALLY sure you want to propose such a fucking offensive concept as removing the means for making it aware that THESE ARE PEOPLE WHO NEED ACTUAL HELP?

Jobs

$500,000,000 could create funding for 20,000 jobs paying $25,000 a year. Now, use your resources to create more profit. Open factories across the nation, use the profit to help pay off our debt.

http://www.newsmax.com/StreetTalk/Laffer-Obama-Budget-republican/2012/04/06/id/435035

The very same shit-bucket neoconservative shill of a website you used as a source your your faux-rage says government spending not only can't create jobs, but actually destroys them.

Not to mention every time someone suggests cutting spending, particularly military spending, they whine about how many jobs might be lost... never too clear how cutting government spending can result in a loss of jobs yet increasing spending will never be able to create jobs. Maybe it would make more sense if I could wedge my head as far up my own as as you guys can...

So in conclusion...

Shut the fuck up

...and go away.

=Smidge=

Factories don't create jobs. Not over in the UK anyway. Ever since the recession there have been nothing but news reports about factories either closing or laying off thousands of workers.

It's more profitable to lay off a bunch of employees and have one machine do all their work for them, no lunch breaks required, just regular maintenance which comes pretty cheap.

Reliable source: many many old people that don't need to be asked to tell you all about this.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EMINECENSES.

Oh wait...that's not right.

Shut the fuck up.

P.S. you're probably dick riding the Romney train because of your parents political stances, you should probably get off your high horse and really read into this stuff yourself and stop taking cues from them and your peers. Get informed for yourself.