A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Scraps of a lost project

AldenT

I'm glad to have gotten such a nice welcome to the forums, but something that stood out was a mention of some past works of mine. Someone was curious enough to ask and fortunately, I had some files on hand. I uploaded them to my DeviantArt gallery tonight, if anybody else was curious.

http://macroller.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=scraps I don't remember exactly when I came up with this material, let alone all the details, but I think I can answer some questions. It's pretty amateur stuff anyway, some old shame in a way. At least, it's something to look back on.

From what I interpreted(I hope what I managed to put together is correct. A coop platformer with a competitive race mode & combat system to deal with enemies on the path.), the concept seems ideal for a small original project and it doesn't seem too hard to create with Gamemaker or MMF with a bit of experimenting. If you're still interested in this, try out those programs and see if you can recreate it.

Yeah, I might start with this. I'm still getting the hang of the main tools (Multimedia Flash and Sonic Worlds) but maybe after that, I can do something with these old sketches. I can't promise much of anything until I'm ready, but someday I'll stand out. Thanks again for checking them out, too. :D

Thanks, I'm glad you think so! I definitely used beat-em-ups and fighting games as an inspiration for this, while the competitive feel would make it a decent multiplayer experience.

I'm in way over my head right now when it comes to coding this in, but I know I can do it. It's just a matter of understanding how the tools work. If anything, I know now to provide a tech demo to go with my sketches. Why tell when I can show, right?

For the moment I'm using Multimedia Fusion 2 with the Sonic Worlds 0.5 engine, but it's just fumbling around at the moment. As I explore it, I might have to switch to a different engine or make my own.

I do know I'd like to lay down several concepts right now, though. If I can code them in Sonic Worlds, I'm sure I'll be able to code them in whatever engine I stick with.

let me save you from yourself

get Construct or Construct 2. Construct1 is free but is still multiple times superior to MMF2 in every way but the dreaded sprite editor.

the amount of trouble and workaround for some things due to MMF2's object selection and whatnot is just crazy.

Does Construct2 work with Sonic Worlds, or would I need an all-new engine? I was experimenting with MMF2 and you're right, it threw me off a lot (I'm way more used to coding via C++ and Java).

Sprites shouldn't be a big concern if there are open-source sheets or something, and if I can just figure out how to add them to the game, that will do. I could edit them in some other program before adding them, if it's not too much trouble.

Well, it's not loading in Construct2, says I need an updated version and I'm pretty sure that's a purchase. I'd rather not pirate something, so I'll just go with Construct1.

Still, these tools definitely seem more effective. I don't think I'll find the other MMF engine I was working with, but that's fine. At least I got something easier to work with from this. Thanks again!