A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

First time

AldenT

Hey, everyone. It's nice to join the forum, though I'm not much of a coder yet. I'm more of a designer, looking for a chance to support other projects. Name's Alden, by the way.

I might not post too often just yet, so I'll try to make each one count (and not in a "wall of text" way, if I can avoid it). Here's hoping I can stand out someday. :)

Ah-hohohoho!

Well, if standing out is your goal, you're half way there already! Few people bother making a thread like this, so props to you, bro.

Anyway, as far as your talents go, it's nice to have a fresh designer here. Compounded with the lush variety of skilled programmers and artists here, you should fit right in with most members and their projects.

And, if nothing else, designers make great Beta Testers, as they can often provide valuable insight.

Best wishes; Sena.

Really? Thanks for the nice welcome!

Yeah, you're right. I got my eye on a project or two but I'm open to a lot more. My experience is mainly devoted to system mechanics and character design, especially geared around combat. I know Sonic fangames usually focus on speed but I hope I get lucky with something more flexible, like an adventure.

Beta testing would be a great way to start, I'm not too bad with criticism and I'm personally looking forward to learning about stage design, scripting, even something like voice acting would help to expand my options. I'm okay with helping out where I can. :)

I got most of my experience from fighting games (especially Street Fighter 4 and Smash Bros Brawl, though I also have experience with MUGEN) and beat-em-ups (mainly Streets of Rage and Sengoku Basara, but I've also tried Devil May Cry), but like I was saying in my opening post, I'm not much of a coder.

Maybe neither of those things sound like Sonic games but I've been studying fighting game concepts for years. Also, I'm pretty sure I once tried my own project that had a blend of combat and speed. I may dig it up once I can remember where it went.

Point is, I can adapt to quite a few things and I'm sure that a Sonic-style game is no exception. I missed out on Sonic The Fighters, but I've tried Sonic Battle, if that is anything more relevant.

Thanks for all the welcomes! Sorry about the thread name, I wasn't sure of how to make that impression, if it's too much trouble like that then I just could make other topics. Still, it's good to know people noticed. :D;

If you find stuff from that project of yours, post some images or something.

Also, Streets of Rage rocks. Have you tried the remake?

Oh, it's a very old thing I was working on, definitely dated concepts, but it'd be a start. Also, yeah, I tried that remake for a bit. I didn't get it again before it was taken down, but what I saw was amazing. One of the most flexible games if I ever saw one.

Welcome! It's pretty chilled here + the community are really nice. Unlike many other forums I've been too.

That's too right, I've been to a few other places and didn't like the tight rules. I even got in trouble with a mod or two over silly things, it just gave me a bad impression of forums in general. I hope that doesn't happen here.

You can rest easy - there are no elitist rules that would scare you away.

Also, the remake spread like wildfire, especially after the takedown. You don't have to search far in order to get a DL.

Judging from you avatar, do you draw? Check out the art subforum in case you plan to show some stuff.

Really? Great to know, I'd hate to get kicked out for something dumb. It's not like I'm trying to hurt anybody here anyway.

Wow, you were right. It didn't take me long to find... and it works as well as ever. That was easier than I thought. . _ .

Oh, yes, I draw. Not much of an artist, but I'll check it out. It'd be a good place to start.

So that was it, huh? Personally, I get quite a bit of flack for treating people like, well, people. But I'm expected to "know my place", "not speak out of line", that sort of thing. I never saw much of a point to dancing around issues, why not just face them head on?

Turns out rules exist for a reason, and though some people may not follow them, the rest do. Respecting them is a way to show respect to those people. And, as part of a community, it was the least I could do. Give and take, as they say. I wouldn't want to get banned before my time.