A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Blitz Help

Emerald

Okay, Its time for my first help request.

This I imagine, will be fairly simple as i think anyone familiar in this particualr pastime will know whats up.

act2dafuq.png

What the hell are all those random numbers ive highlighted. What purpose do they serve, is it safe to remove them and if so how do i remove them?

Also if I have another issue i need help with will i need to make another thread or can i just update this one?

Thanks guys

Those are debug counters. The top-right one in particular tracks the framerate. You can make them invisible or flat-out delete them. In Delta 1.3 I set it up so you can easily turn them on and off based on what you need to test, but I'm not sure what version of Worlds you are using.

Okay, so ive sorted the debug counters but ive got a even bigger bug that needs squashing now. I had the hub world implemented just fine, but today i discovered when ever i finish a stage and am taken back to the hub world, as soon as the frame starts i have no controll and sonic zooms to the right out of the cameras reach and killing himself. Thats pretty messed up. The act ring sample plays implying he collided with one of them but hes nowhere near them.

Does anyone have any idea whats up?

thanks for the suggestion TailsSena but unfortunatley no joy. Before i noticed this issue i had been working on another level to ultimatley replace the one i have linked to the act 2 ring but that frame is a standalone at the miniute and is inaccessable outside of MMF. Do could that have anything to do with it?

EDIT: Ive just realized this maybe connected to the end of level sign. Sonic acts just as he would when passing the goal post and the sample that plays is the same sound effect. Once the game over text appears so does the end of level hud. Is there any idea what would cause this?

In MMF, any objects with the global property on them will keep values after changing or restarting the frame, as TailsSena pointed out.

You should use this property for objects whose values are important after a frame change (e.g. lives value, or checkpoint state value).

However, objects that don't need to keep their values can be toggled as not global.

Keep in mind, though: Global object edition will reflect on every frame - Remember this if you have a set of levels and want to change things:

If you have 8 level frames with object X, and you suddenly wanted to edit said object's sprite or values, make it global before doing so. This way the eight objects from the frames will be edited as well, saving you from repeating the process seven times. You can switch off the global property afterwards if you need.

If I'm not mistaken, you're using Worlds 0.5, right? I might be wrong, but I think I know what's the problem.

glitchfix.png

(The image was taken from Lake's Sonic Worlds Guide.)

If you've not changed the end of level sign events, they cause a bug when the next frame starts. The reason is that some values are not reseted (such as the Checkpoint one), and that makes Sonic die right at the start of the level. Using the code on that image should fix that.

Thanks for the help guys, i fixed the problem. I recently changed my new sign post to a global object and it was conflicting with the default worlds one. I removed all traces of the orginal and its back to normal.

However I have yet another issue now. I wanted to zoom out the camera since sonic is bigger and faster to give the player a better veiw of whats coming up. I did this by increasing the games window size (not sure if this was the best way of doing it). Now when sonic falls into a bottomless pit the dieing event will play over and over again with sonic constantly bouncing of the bottom of the frame. The frame wont restart, the lives counter is unaffected and the death sound will loop. When killed by an enemy the event works as intended.

Im sorry for needing so much help with this game, Im such an noob at this. I think all my problems are due to lack of preperation.

When he falls into a pit, set a value or flag so that he no longer collides with the bottom of the frame, and base the restart on a frame timer.

So.

Before dying in a pit

Value "PitDie" = 1

Value "PitDie" = 1

Sonic falls out of the frame

--> Bounce Sonic up like normal, and set PitDie to 0.

Value "PitDie" = 0

--> Add 1 to value "PD_Timer"

Value "PD_Timer" = 40

-->Restart the frame as you would when he dies any other way. And don't forget to set PD_Timer back to 0 at this point.

Note, the 40 can be changed to anything. Change it to the length in time (in seconds.) that you wish his pitfall animation to play divided by the game's framerate.