A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Origins-Project

Guest CoconutMan

Guest CoconutMan

Sonic Origins is a project me and a few friends are working on. It's an ambitious project. The gameplay will be taking Sonic back to his origins, and will have custom graphics and music, and an online function where you can play coop with any two characters. We're working on mastering the physics at the moment, and would like to send a beta to some professionals here for advice on how to make it better. A tech demo might be ready for SAGE if we're lucky.

8780647.bmp

(Graphics are for test until the real ones are ready)

I'm curious, what's the definition of origin here?

That term means quite a large amount of different things for different people. Elemental shields and peel out, for example, suggest something not exactly 'origin' origin, if you get what I mean.

Guest CoconutMan

It will be taking Sonic back to his original gameplay (His origins). Not the Sonic 1 title, but the titles of that era (1991-1994).

Guest CoconutMan

I have a physics beta ready. If anyone is interested in trying it to help improve the game, PM me. Me and my team are trying to get the physics as close to the pinball mechanics of the classics as possible.

ho boy did i laugh at the word "professional"

There are various guides on sonic's physics hanging around here and in other places, so google+^search^ away. Since you're worried about it, i assume you aren't using Sonic Worlds, which is about as close to perfect as it gets. Actually, no; Worlds' physics engine is superior to the one used on the genesis titles..

There are even guides on the trigonometry method for which Sonic Worlds is based lying around in the depths of a the fangame assistance forum (or maybe it's in R&D?) as well as various stripped versions of the curve detection method used in Sonic Worlds, all the way down to just the basic events void of any physics to learn the method. Those can actually be downloaded from the main site.

If you wish to bless me with it, i'd be happy to test your engine for you.

• 2 months later...
Guest CoconutMan

Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been busy.

Thanks to everyone who tried out the BETA. A few more people have asked for it, and I will send it now.

The sprites are almost ready to be shown.

ho boy did i laugh at the word "professional"

... but I'm a professional :(

Not a professional game developer, but a professional software developer at least.

What I'm getting at is... a lot of us are getting kind of old, so it wouldn't surprise me if there actually are people around doing professional work that might be related to things that are at least orbiting game development, such as graphics production and programming.

... but I'm a professional

Not a professional game developer, but a professional software developer at least.

What I'm getting at is... a lot of us are getting kind of old, so it wouldn't surprise me if there actually are people around doing professional work that might be related to things that are at least orbiting game development, such as graphics production and programming.

It's just the context of the word i guess; the idea of a "classic sonic physics professional" made me giggle...That's not to make anyone who he'd consult any less knowledgeable or anything though.

I'd say the collaborative work done with the Worlds engine is pretty professional, infact. I think that Worlds has gotten as far as it has because of the other people like you who around here, with actual programming knowledge applicable to something other than fangames.