A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

15 Years Ago... WinAMP was born

Epon

Here's an amazing story on the history of WinAMP. To you youngin's who don't remember a time before iTunes or the gruesome process of downloading an MP3 over dialup for hours on end, WinAMP was the de facto media player for nerds. The amount of customization and skinning you could do to it still serves as a basis of product development today. Sadly, I remember when they released v5 and I was so turned off by the product and it's footprint that I just gave up on it altogether.

I last used WinAMP a few years ago at a club for its visualization features. There was a pretty gnarly plugin that allowed your LINE IN to be pumped through the AVS system. I had a shitty laptop hooked up to about 30 LCD screens throughout the club bumping around to the beats. Ah, New Jersey fist pumping.

Anyway, share your memories here.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/06/winamp-how-greatest-mp3-player-undid-itself/

Winamp used to be my MP3 player of choice, I loved hoarding skins for it and adding all sorts of daft features.

Then I just fell out of love with it. It just lost its charm after v5; dunno how, dunno why but it just did.

I'm actually loving the Zune player at the moment; it's got a super sweet and sleek design (plus I love my windows phone).

Used WinAMP back in the day, don't have an audio program of choice now as I rarely listen to music on my PC, if I can get the speakers working at all. I remember making a Time Attacked WinAMP skin and putting it up for download. I remember Rlan posting a screenshot of something and could see he was using the Time Attacked WinAMP skin. To this day I still wonder how many other people actually used it, or even managed to get the skin working.

Here's an amazing story on the history of WinAMP. To you youngin's who don't remember a time before iTunes or the gruesome process of downloading an MP3 over dialup for hours on end, WinAMP was the de facto media player for nerds. The amount of customization and skinning you could do to it still serves as a basis of product development today. Sadly, I remember when they released v5 and I was so turned off by the product and it's footprint that I just gave up on it altogether.

I last used WinAMP a few years ago at a club for its visualization features. There was a pretty gnarly plugin that allowed your LINE IN to be pumped through the AVS system. I had a shitty laptop hooked up to about 30 LCD screens throughout the club bumping around to the beats. Ah, New Jersey fist pumping.

Anyway, share your memories here.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/06/winamp-how-greatest-mp3-player-undid-itself/

reminds me of 56k and anime themesongs.

ahhhh those were the days

I saw this article early this morning, quiet a good read. I used WinAMP for a long time...don't quite remember when I stopped using it. Aside from playing music, I used to use it for SAGE casting, good times :).

Oh man of course, how can I forget the multicasting features it had?!

• 2 weeks later...