A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The "Sonic: Edge of Darkness" Thread

Looks good but it's like third fangame I know to use Ristar's snow level graphics with little to no modifications. Not that it's a bad thing per se but it certainly reduces it's originality.

The graphics are changed, it is not exactly the planet freon's one.

Planet freon has a cyan or turquoise tone, and Antarctic Amethyst is very bright blue.

The snow of this zone also looks original.

The graphics are changed, it is not exactly the planet freon's one.

Planet freon has a cyan or turquoise tone, and Antarctic Amethyst is very bright blue.

The snow of this zone also looks original.

peakpanic20062.gifpolarpeakact1earlyscree.png

Well it is edited indeed but for some reason it looks least interesting of the three. Sorry if I sound harsh and nonconstructive but you should probably consider make it standout more. I hope it's just an early version.

• Like 2

Actually XG is still going and ET was canned, but it used to be the otherway around so at one point you were right Briraka.

Posting suggestion lists is fine, but let's not critique other's posts, or critique others critiques of posts. It reeks of back seat moderation and adds nothing to the conversation. If an actual Moderator sees an issue they'll take care of it without Lange and Highwire's help. No need to make another mess like the Overture thread. Moving on....

• Like 1

Actually XG is still going and ET was canned, but it used to be the otherway around so at one point you were right Briraka.

Posting suggestion lists is fine, but let's not critique other's posts, or critique others critiques of posts. It reeks of back seat moderation and adds nothing to the conversation. If an actual Moderator sees an issue they'll take care of it without Lange and Highwire's help. No need to make another mess like the Overture thread. Moving on....

I remember a while ago in the old Edge of Darkness thread things got pretty messy between Delta, Blazefire, and maybe someone else. Can't remember.

No I don't own any copy of any good image editor actually haha. Graphics have never really been a good skill of mine, I usually just let Delta do all the visual stuff.

I added in ground tiles in case you needed them:

2KOmCVd.png

If you could make some slopes that'd be great :D

Here you go. If you need any specific ones draw a line out and  I will attempt to match.

SnowSlopes.png

Holy moly how did you do that? Well thank you anyways haha I should probably make some general collision masks with these sprites too for use in later levels if they have slopes like this.

Just used the warp tool in photoshop. Pretty simple actually provided you know how to do it. It's nice to see fan games with slopes that are not from BID. Because slopes from BID tend to be very short. Granted it has potential to make longer slopes but BID's method for sloping things is best on grass and no one makes custom masks for BID.

• Like 1

Just used the warp tool in photoshop. Pretty simple actually provided you know how to do it. It's nice to see fan games with slopes that are not from BID. Because slopes from BID tend to be very short. Granted it has potential to make longer slopes but BID's method for sloping things is best on grass and no one makes custom masks for BID.

Isn't Photoshop expensive or something? If it costs a good amount of money there's probably a good reason why I don't have it lol.

I noticed these kinds of slopes were in games like Sonic ATS, reminds me of Horizon Heights and its speedy pathways.

If you don't mind me asking, what is BID exactly? :b

Are there any tutorials on the net to show me how to use this? ._. I've never used this thing before.

It's really easy, just use those black and white slope pictures in a folder

IPfQpz0.png

And then select a grass/snow/ground tile as your source file

wT4QAgK.png

You'll get something like this in the folder you choose as the output folder

G5LoC8e.png

-In a nutshell-

iSwUJ72.png

Fairly easy if I do say so myself.

Edited by Jassbec
  • Like 5

It's really easy, just use those black and white slope pictures in a folder

IPfQpz0.png

And then select a grass/snow/ground tile as your source file

wT4QAgK.png

You'll get something like this in the folder you choose as the output folder

G5LoC8e.png

-In a nutshell-

iSwUJ72.png

Fairly easy if I do say so myself.

So I just tried that and it made all these slopes with the snow. Holy crap this is awesome. Thank you very much Jassbec ^_^

Jassbec and SuperBliz, I made a program that makes slopes of bloks.

You just need the ground texture and the floor (and the ceiling).

Black solids included.

It will be much easier to make custom sonic zones.

I'd like to see this sometime in the future!

I will publish my slopes maker.

It will support batch exporting chunk.

It supports also slope maker documents.

Instead of slopes folder, It will use slope presets. (like presets of photoshop).

You can add also interior texture, and make slopes manually.

I may make more sonic zone utilities!!

I will publish my slopes maker.

It will support batch exporting chunk.

It supports also slope maker documents.

Instead of slopes folder, It will use slope presets. (like presets of photoshop).

You can add also interior texture, and make slopes manually.

I may make more sonic zone utilities!!

Can't wait to see it dude! I hope it shows up in your thread soon haha

Alright so this BID thing is actually really awesome (warning somewhat big image):

Npc8FJP.png

*ahem* You do if you work on Overture...

That's good I didn't mean to say BID was bad, just not used to it's full potential sometimes. BID is a very useful tool. I use both ways myself photoshop and BID. Heck sometimes I use both of them and with some editing by hand. It depends on the graphic and the kind of curve or slope I want to make. 

A beta of this Sonic Slope Maker is available: (Media Fire, I hope the link is not broken)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/v77vneqn4twv6ji/Sonic+Slope+Maker.zip

You need .NET Framework 4.0 in your computer.

A green hill-style zone is included.

Report for Bugs please

Note 1: This is reply #222 for Sonic Edge of Darkness Thread.

Note 2: I have started a topic for this program (in Sonic Discussion forum).

Edited by Stardust Gear

A beta of this Sonic Slope Maker is available: (Media Fire, I hope the link is not broken)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/v77vneqn4twv6ji/Sonic+Slope+Maker.zip

A green hill-style zone is included.

Report for Bugs please

Note 1: This is reply #222 for Sonic Edge of Darkness Thread.

Note 2: I have started a topic for this program (in Sonic Discussion forum).

It does not work :)