A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Dear MMF2 users.

BlazefireLP

This is directed people who use either TF2/MMF2. You know how you have to use Directshow or some other extension to play mp3's? Well, my and my friend zodemon have found a file type that MMF2 recognizes that'll enable this possible in normal MMF2 after looking into MMF2's core and seeing that it shows signs of information on a LameConMP3 conversion.

Simply download this file

Place it in "DriveLetter:\LocationFolder\Multimedia Fusion 2\Filters\Sounds"

Once that, restart MMF2 if open already and simply do a regular:

Start Of Frame > Play Sample File (Select mp3) or the regular way

(Haven't tried it yet to know if it works the regular load wav way.)

You can do the same thing in this as you can do with .wav .ogg or .it files such as:

Appdrive$+Appdir$+"\SongName.mp3"

Or in sub folders

Appdrive$+Appdir$+"\Data\Music\SongName.mp3"

Just make sure the music file is in the correct folder or in the same folder as the mfa/exe you save.

That's about it, just thought i'd let you guys know because this has troubled me ever since I first opened up MMF2.

Peace!

Obviously you can do that, but for people who just to straight up want to use MP3's, this is a good solution for them now. Not everyone knows or has the time/patience to covert all there music files to .ogg. I know a lot of people who still use mp3's in there games.

Besides, it's better to know this feature can now exist.

It's not so much oggs are smaller than MP3s since filesize for both formats is essentially <length> * <bitrate>. Ogg vorbis simply outperforms MP3 at lower bitrates, or even the ex-ubiquitous 128kbps. 96kbps ogg is plenty for fangames, especially fangames emulating a retro look. People don't start up fangames solely to listen to music on some bombastic home theater system; it's there to provide a backing to action.

That being said, there are other considerations as well, such as the inherent gap at the start of mp3 files dictated by the format specification which makes it nigh impossible to loop cleanly.

• 1 month later...