A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Speed (Trailer Released)

Redsonic

If your here wondering 'Where is Sonic Ultima' it'll be up by SAGE, No worries.

Anyway, the 'speed' aspect of Sonic is the one thing I wanted to capture when making this game.

So, before we get to the trailer, might as well explain what your gonna see, eh?

-

The level you see in-game isnt actually a level, it's just an engine level as you may have guessed. So far things seem to work well, I used the Static Engine for this, and thanks to some help from Sereph, Rael, and my mIRC Friends, I was able to meet everyone's needs. :).

During the trailer, you should see two new gauges. One is represented by 7 Bars, each colored, this is the 'Speed Gauge'. The higher that is, the faster you go. You reach top speed when all the bars are colored light blue.

The Second Gauge, is the 'Spirit Gauge'. Something i'm not gonna explain until further along (Sage anyone?) Story-linewise anyway. Once you fill up the gauge, a little light flickers on under the gauge. There are three of these 'slots' that light up. These 'lighted slots' are called Spirits, and can be used to execute attacks, such as Spindash, Air Dash, Speed Boost, and Sonic Boom. (you can see me execute two spindashes in the trailer, Top Speed + Spindash = Fast )

You fill up the 'Spirit Gauge' by doing one of the following.

-Running/Walking

-Defeating Enemies

-Collecting Orbs (only one orb per level, Hidden in it, it automatically gives you one spirit)

Upon filling up all three 'spirits', if you fill up the gauge again, you will enter a state known as 'Rage Mode'. In this mode, whenever you are hit, you will no longer lose all rings upon getting hurt, but only about 8 or so rings per hit. RAGE Moves allows you to execute a Characters 'Special Skill' , like Sonic's Sonic Boom. Using other skills will not cost any spirit, but upon using them, you will lose Rage Mode. Rage Mode lasts until the spirit gauge depletes.

This will be using the ranking system (Which isnt seen in the trailer because im still working on some of the aspects of it), Bassicaly, the ranks are E,D,C,B,A and 'S'. Getting S Ranks can be used to unlock stuff, such as extra Levels.

As I said, this game focuses on Speed, so no doubt you can blaze through levels at top speeds.

-----Onward with the Trailer----

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4boxls

Ive heard that song in almost every freaking Shadow fangame released since Shadow the Hedgehog was announced.

And ive been meaning to ask this, Why did shadow get his own 3D game before knuckles or Tails? A 3D tails game based on the Game Gear version would have been awsome, and an Action Knuckles game would have been awsome too.

But instead we get Shadow the Hedgehog, a half-assed attempt to bring profanity and mature'ness to the sonic genere. (was pretty damn fun first time around though.)

"But instead we get Shadow the Hedgehog, a half-assed attempt to bring profanity and mature'ness to the sonic genere. (was pretty damn fun first time around though.)"

Half-assed? -It worked. Half assed things dont rake in the money. As well, this thread has nothing to do with what music you dislike hearing in a trailor, it also is not the place for you "to ask this, Why did shadow get his own 3D game before knuckles or Tails?"

Your supposed to be replying to his trailer, not trying to debate something.. theres already a forum for that.

Anywho, the trailer seemed.. plain. Guess thats just because its testing though. The engine seems to have kinks, where as when sonic is on the ground, his always further in, or out of the ground than the last time he hit ground. Could use some effects in lightdash too. =P

You might also want to fiddle with sonics animations, eg; lightspeed dash animations, etc.

Seems pretty fair. Should be more visually pleasing as you go along. =P