A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Infinite

Floofy

Well, I've taken my first test on this and I have something to say.

First, I'm glad this is not another Sonic Advanced graphic-based game with some crappy physics, it works pretty much fine. But you should put the jump button out of the Shift key, you know. Some options on Windows are accessed by pressing Shift five times, it makes some anticlimax when you're on some big section.

The 2D recreation of Emerald Coast Act 1 is pretty good, too. And Sonic rushes like a bullet, meaning that his speed is quite good, too. But take this as a note: you need to tweak the Jumpdash/Homing Attack a bit. You know, the Jumpdash is still a little weak. About homing Attack, I thought I have seen only one part where I had to really use it, near the end of the act.

Well, for an engine test, you did quite good for a first strike. Keep going, pal!

Thanks! about the shift key, you should really turn off your sticky keys, it even says that when you first start the game.

Also while the homing attack is a nice feature to have, I won't be adding huge chains in place of level segments. That section near the end is just to demonstrate that it works.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a while.

Anyways, I've worked some bugs out, added positional audio to the enemies, changed up the spindash, added a stomp and a wall jump, and finally got a decent menu system worked out.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46636748/SI%20TD8.exe

I can't wait to attack whatever bugs you find.

Nice graphics!, and really awesome use of perspective on sky

P.S: i liked the new gameplay style :3

Not so much a bug, but I would advise not having any buttons assigned to Shift. After so many times, the Sticky Keys window keeps popping up.

Good test engine so far otherwise, feels like a mix of Advance and Unleashed gameplay!

I should just put instructions on the menu that tells people how to turn off sticky keys... :\

Soon I'm going to allow you to switch control schemes, but until then, you should probably turn off sticky keys.

In other news, I've made some animated springs and launchpads.

What did you think of the menus? I spent a bit of time designing those.

Is there anything you would add to them?

Awww i was looking forward to seeing the logo on the first page of this forum in the game..... But nice additions man. I like it except the HUD, and the reason why.... It's too flashy I think i noticed the HUD more than the game itself.

I'm bad at designing HUDs... However, now that I have a menu, I could try and make one to fit with the menu.

• 6 months later...

Well, it's been QUITE some time since I updated this topic.

I just want to let you all know that I'm not dead, and I'm rebuilding BlazefireLP's engine. It's not that it's a bad engine, but my additions in the Infinityengine4 weren't agreeing with it.

So to remedy this, I stripped everything down, kept the homing and the grinding (after some modifications to both of them), and rebuilt it.

Infinity Engine 5 is running super smooth.

The framerate in my last engine tanked. A lot. That's because I had so much glut in the events, that it chugged, and struggled to run smoothly.

V5 is not only more optimized, but it looks a bit nicer too. I have separate animations for most of the actions, so Sonic looks a bit more fluid, and the resolution is a tad bit higher than last time too.

I'll do a video update once I have a test level ready, but until then, you can look at these GIFs I posted on my Tumblr.

tumblr_mant4uOOKD1r73no6o1_250.gif

As you can see, the walljumping looks a bit better than it did in the last engine, as it has more animations and effects put into it.

tumblr_manqrqPezT1r73no6o1_250.gif

AND, I've added a bonus score system for performing action chains. Right now it's only for homing attacks, but I hope to implement it for rail chains, and other bonuses, ala SA2.

You can follow my Tumblr here: http://196blog.tumblr.com/

I used to use it for silly things, or anything I found amusing really. But I'll try to be posting at least one update on the game every day.

So that's about it, I'm looking forward to working with everyone again, and I hope I can make something you'll all enjoy.

Edit- ALSO, I made a lot of changes to the sound effects, so personally, I think it sounds a lot nicer.