A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Infinite

Floofy

dk6n

I'm sorta new here, so I'm really sure if it's my place to be posting builds yet, especially because I've had a development thread on another forum for quite some time. I just wanted an opinion or two, maybe some bug reports or nitpicks.

efP1

efPg

efR8

This level was made to test my engine modifications to BlazefireLP's 2006 engine, so it's not the most original or creative in terms of level design.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46636748/SI%20TD7.exe

I'm aware that some of the tiles don't blend seamlessly. Again, this is an engine test.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're screenshots are epic nice mixing with the tiles and editing. Change the bottom left part of the hud to something else or get rid of it. But ima try it now.

Doing that now. I forgot about that, and the modifications I made to BF's engine render it pointless.

I wouldn't say pointless.... I mean I tried the engine test and you made me say this is madness....... Because of how detailed it is and how it isn't a just spindash or hold right all the way level. Plus I can tell you put time in it. I will definitely be looking forward to seeing more.

I wouldn't say pointless.... I mean I tried the engine test and you made me say this is madness....... Because of how detailed it is and how it isn't a just spindash or hold right all the way level. Plus I can tell you put time in it. I will definitely be looking forward to seeing more.

Thankyou ^_^

Personally I thought it was a tad under-detailed, And I was planning on adding a whole bunch more in other levels. But I'm glad someone seems to think otherwise.

Yes, another person using Blaze's engine, I'm playing as I type.

Logo, nice, Title Screen, nice.

I love how you mixed the sprites here, how they all seem to fit with each other, same with the music.

I see you added stuff in the foreground, I love it.

Overall, this could go very far ^^.

i dont usually do this but, well, it looks pretty nice and i think i should give you some tips

• Dont use arrows to point your way to the level, instead, use the own level design to make the player go were you want it to go.
    Or make the arrows part of the tiles.
  • waning signs arent very helpfull as you should have thought, i've learned my lesson on Lost Levels Zone in Sonic BTS
    make sure to only put badniks were the player can easily see them.
  • there is PITs... a lot of then... sorry to say this but... avoid pits at all costs
    pits are frustrating to the player and makes him want stop playing

hope it helps =P

• there is PITs... a lot of then... sorry to say this but... avoid pits at all costs
    pits are frustrating to the player and makes him want stop playing

[*] Pits should be limited. The only time you should see more then three pits is in a sky level. Those under water parts could had been filled with some cool content like Coral reef.

I understand your trying to make it like emerald coast but making it 100% isn't always a good thing. *Points at Sonic The Hedgehog 2D*

Also nice modifications to Blaze's engine,

For what its worth.

I loved this little level.

The game-play really reminded me of sonic unleashed and the engine was just perfect for that style. Some better warning for enemies and such would have been nice. and that pit at the end was a nightmare during the first play-through.

As I said before, loving it + unleashed style...

...So....

I tore apart this level in 43 seconds.

Thiswasprettydamnfun.png

Come at me bro.

Obviously I'd like to see some sort of time attack statistics in a more complete build.

I'm serious though. You. With this engine. Made something I really enjoy, and I'm looking forward to more from this.

This is getting much better reception than I thought it would :P

Well duh, it's because it's good.

The engine's modifications are really well done and the level design was pretty good(Emerald Coast ^o^) despite the huge amount of pits.

One thing I wish you can add is Fullscreen support. just my suggestion

Edit: I noticed a small easter egg as well.

Oh shit son, P3DR0 is in here...

Alright, first I want to take something out of my mind since the first time that I'd seen the screenshots. The sea isn't that much reflectible during the day. :C

Ok, said that let's move on:

The edits are surprisingly good, it all fits alright together, and looks pretty. The stuff in the foreground was a nice touch, and I must admit I'm actually a little impressed, nice work.

The engine is well edited, but I felt Sonic's too heavy, imo. Also I don't know if you're going for a Sonic Adventure Remake but that spin-dash isn't good, It makes things too easy. Like you have to just touch the CTRL and you have already a fullspeed spindash, and you can press it in the middle of the rolling or running.

I don't know I've played almost the whole level that way, seemed conventional. What I would suggest is, if the player is running and press ctrl Sonic would roll, like if you'd pressed down in a Sonic game. And if you're in a middle of a rolling and press ctrl, well... Nothing happens.

Also if you're going to make the spindash that much overpowered like you just need to touch the ctrl key to get fullspeed, at least charge it (and charge it good, like a half or even a full bar) on the "boost gauge" like you did with the homming attack (pretty cool idea, btw).

The level design is what's bugging me on this level. It isn't bad, but has a lot of flaws. I felt like (people already said that) you could fill those gaps with some suff, and actually encourage people to explore the level that way.

Another thing that bugged me a lot is the springs in this game. In my opinion, if you have to hold the arrows key in a spring otherwise you wont get to the destination, it's a bad placed spring. Try for yourself, go on a spring and don't touch the arrow keys. It's very likely that you'll fall in a pit and die. The air control in a spring on a Sonic game should be used to reach some alternative path like you did in your level once... But unfortunelly was a bad place to do it:

uWYBD.png

The enemy placement in the game is bad as well, sometimes a spring will throw you right in front of an enemy or you will have enemies right in front of you that you barely can't react to. It's something that need to be worked on.

Other critcisms that I would have would be relative to the level design it self, it lacks of alternatives paths sometimes. The basics of a Sonic level design is doing 3 alternative paths, one in the top of the level, which is the fastest but also the hardest. The middle, which would be the normal one, not much hard neither much fast. And the lower one, that would be a pain in the ass of how slow and full of shit to slow you down. Try that.

The game needs some serious adjusts, but overall it's looking great and you're doing it right more than failling. Also, I loved the song of the stage, very pretty. Nice job.

I'll give this a try when I get home from college. From the responses I've seen it looks like you've put this ol' engine to good use, which pleases me by itself. That Sonic got through text and font was nostalgic for me because I did something extreamly similar to that about 3 years ago in a very old engine I released. xD

Thanks everyone!

Lake, I'll definitely take those pointers into consideration, however I'm quite fond of the arrows, I thought they had a nice effect.

Tails, I'm actually not sure who made them, and I haven't seen them used anywhere else. But you're welcome to use them. I'll PM them to you.

FGR, the video really helps, I haven't had time to make one myself, and my channel is empty and unknown. So you putting that out there should attract a few people.

P3DRO, I've actually gotten some complaints about the spindash on another forum, so if you want to use the classic dash, just crouch and tap shift. other than that, I will make it so the adventure spindash takes some charge time. and the level design, as I said before, is only there to test the engine.

Chaos Fusion, you're the first person to mention the easter egg. And I thought about fullscreen, but I HATE when pixels get stretched.

BlazeFire, I'm glad I could put it to good use.

I'll continue to work on the engine and try to address the issues, I'm glad you all seem to enjoy it.

For everyone commenting on the music, it says the name of the song down in the bottom right corner when you first start the level. The song I used for this level is an instrumental version of 'Renritu'

About fullscreen.... Check "keep aspect ratio" in the application display options. Set the screen ratio tole no higher than 8 (Which is the default anyway.).

It won't work because a 420x240 resolution won't be supported by monitors, even when scaled up.

Okay, I'm gonna type as I play this.

First thing, the water surface sprite is resized. It lucks kinda eww, try and simply repeat it or something.

The rings look a bit odd without the proper global frame animation.

Try doing this:

Always - Force animation frame to (timer/70) mod 4
[/CODE]

This should make it look nicer. If you feel it is going too slow, mess with the "70" untill it looks nice to your eyes.

I think these next things are actually my fault for giving this away half assed.

In the spindash action, make it so you cannot turn around. In the direction code just add Action<numberhere> before it does any setting of directions. Disable skidding while rolling too.

I really like the foreground parallax you've done, it was a nice addition to the beginning of the stage.

Give springs an animation action. Jumping or falling into a spring looks odd when being spring in a jumping animation or something. You could keep it how it is with the falling animation if you set the Action to 0 when any spring is touched.

When you have the green shield, the damage system code isn't functioning properly. You may want to add the damage timer to the line of code that makes Sonic get damaged. When you have the shield and an enemy collides with you, you get hurt instantly when you've lost it and go back into the normal state.

The killing of Sonic at the bottom of the frame should instantly kill sonic. It makes his rings spread out and kill him at the same time. Try and think of a cleaner way to kill him. Perhaps re order the code so his Rings are set to 0 before he is hurt to stop it checking for the ring count.

I don't know why but when I collide with a spring, it seems to sent me soaring through the air when I haven't even touched it yet, I have a feeling you may have "Collision with box" ticked.

Some of the collisions for the floors are on the wrong layer as I feel through to my death on some of them.

Okay, having played it entirely. I must say, I really love where this is going. The level has a nice yet familiar look. Some of the details like animated plants where nice along with the foreground parallax. The music was fitting and I liked it too. I can't wait to see more of this. I'm so happy I have something to keep my eye on now. Well done!

Edit: @TailsSena: You use the window object and code a system that does it. I'm in the process of making a better one for my current project. If it turns out good I might release it for use if people wanted.

I just downloaded and played this and I enjoyed it quite a bit dude, Liking the level design, Its fresh and its a step in the right direction in terms of enjoyability.

You dont just hold right and win like some of the games. This actually reminds me of Sonic Advance 1. Some of the levels like ice mountain and egg rocket had some really good platforming elemts to them which made it more enjoyable than just constant speed.

The music in the level feels a little unfinished. The piano sounds cheap and too fake sounding .. The composition side of things is good, the instruments just need tuning up a little. Using some more proffessional plugins would probably fix the problems.

Is Renritu composing all the soundtrack for the game may I ask?

If not I'd be more than happy to compose you some music for the game.

You can check my work out here: http://www.youtube.com/StereoPixelMusic

Keep up the good work! (Y)