A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Mega Upload shuts down

Sparks

You know, there are people out there with chainsaws and illegally downloading Sega Genesis games and Lil' Wayne albums is the governments main concern?

Christ already.

I think that black son of a bitch needs to get a real fucking job.

He needs to have his people in office worry about the job market.

Maybe clearing out neighborhoods like East Cleveland and South Central for people like the homeless and the less fortunate, giving them a place to live and be secure.

But no.

Though I see Megaupload had quite a history, what about the people who used it for non profit use?

Non profit video games and people with filming and/or music talents.

EDIT: You people weren't kidding.

Megavideo is gone.

Bummer.

I gotta start using Gorillavid.

I think that black son of a bitch needs to get a real fucking job.

He needs to have his people in office worry about the job market.

Maybe clearing out neighborhoods like East Cleveland and South Central for people like the homeless and the less fortunate, giving them a place to live and be secure.

But no.

Obama was against the bill. He flat out told congress not to sign off on it. In response, Hollywood threatened to withdraw funding for his re election campaign. His response to that was "hurr come at me."

Obama gets a lot of blame for shit he ain't do. >.>

The most shocking one of all isn't Filesonic becoming a Skydrive-style cloud host. Nor uploadbox saying they will baleet everything Jan 30th.

Nope... the most shocking is uploaded.to - US IPs are now banned, they instead get a "Not available in your country" message.

Other ones followed suit - Filejungle and Uploadstation block them too.

People's been calling this the "Reverse Firewall of America"... instead of blocking people from sites, sites are blocking people.

Needless to say, the filesharing industry got hit REALLY hard. The amount of people fucked up over legitimate files, legitimately obtained rewards, and currently running subscriptions increased tenfold now.

People's been calling this the "Reverse Firewall of America"... instead of blocking people from sites, sites are blocking people.

That's pretty much a huge irony... Megaupload was the martyr and the scapegoat of the whole crap. Let's hope it give them a lesson to at least reconsider the SOPA and PIPA projects.

True - the MU owners had a long history, and as I've said, the most important (and heavier) charges were a lot worse than just "facilitating piracy lololol".

Still, the chilling effect this has caused made a shitton of other hosters to shit themselves and screw all of their honest, legal customers.

I don't think all of these other hosters are owned by people with expensive cars with "MAFIA" or "GOD" in their license plates, and safe harbor provisions work for them since they actually delete stuff that was reported.

MU apparently just made the link non-working, and then reuploaded the offending content.

So yeah, 2 years of investigation. Still, the timeframe of execution is particular - considering the publicity and spread of MU related news recently, I guess they decided to finally cut them down. Remember the Mega Song and MU's fight with Universal (which wasn't exactly playing nice)? Remember Megabox, which would have probably caused an impact of considerable size in the music front?

They were going to expand things, and they had a lot of attention particularly coming from the Mega Song fiasco, so it was necessary to cut them off ASAP. Yet the impact it caused is just astronomical, as the protests ended up as leverage to instill fear over other hoster services.