A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

CryEngine 3 SDK

A while back, the CryEngine 3 SDK was released to the public for noncommercial use. However, it really hasn't garnered much interest so far in the Sonic fangaming community, especially since there's nothing like the Sonic GDK for UDK that people can work with. However, the SDK seems to have a rather straightforward and informative manual, and, as of more recent versions of the SDK, it includes a demonstration level, a forest on a coast.

It's even better-looking when you actually play it.

Sure, it's not Unreal Tournament, but that's not what that fan-game makers are wanting to work with, and the map isn't brown and desaturated as fuck.

The Sandbox editor seems quite neat, and it includes a visual scripting system. Or, if flow-graph scripting isn't your thing and you're not afraid to try out actual scripting, the SDK uses what is arguably the best scripting language in the industry, Lua, which I hear is quite easy to learn and use.

Any thoughts?

:OMGWTF:My eyes see...such...beauty. Those graphics look 50 times better than any of those other graphics engines that i've seen. Doubt my comp would handle it without blowing up.

If anything, fan games using this engine would make the game that Sega and Sonic Team were attempting to create back in 2006.

Stereotyping unreal engine as being brown and desaturated is a bit unfair; that's a stylistic choice on the part of the developers, not a core engine feature. Unreal Engine 3 can do

just as well as anything else.

We're long past the days of Doom 1 and Quake 1 where developers had 64 or 256 very specific colors to choose from and therefore the majority of those games color palettes was brown and gray.

Game engines nowadays can do anything, it's what the developers choose to use the engine for that's the problem.

Stereotyping unreal engine as being brown and desaturated is a bit unfair; that's a stylistic choice on the part of the developers, not a core engine feature. Unreal Engine 3 can do
just as well as anything else.

We're long past the days of Doom 1 and Quake 1 where developers had 64 or 256 very specific colors to choose from and therefore the majority of those games color palettes was brown and gray.

Game engines nowadays can do anything, it's what the developers choose to use the engine for that's the problem.

Couldn't agree more.

Not trying to brag or something, but all I got to do on this one was edit some color values and the only thing that really seemed desaturated and brown was the height fog because screwed up on that. :V

But basically, if you're just using the UDK's assets or the default post-processing chain, you will get desaturated and brown maps because the assets and the default post process chain WERE designed to be brown and desaturated. That's how EPIC's games are. :V

Just saying. Candescence, you should make some researches before saying stuff like that. :3

But this is a CryEngine 3 thread, let's keep that way. :3

Guys, I think you misinterpreted my point completely. I didn't mean at all to say that UDK does brown and desaturated games best. I was saying that pretty much nearly all the example maps included in UDK are desaturated and brown, while the CE3 forest example is vibrant - I just like that one map better for that reason.

Of course it's all down to artistic choice, thinking otherwise is, well, kinda stupid. :tbored: Granted, brown and desaturated is generally a stupid artistic choice, but whatever.

Yeah, I know, if done right, they CAN work well.

And then sometimes they just make things hard to actually see shit when everything's varying shades of brown.

I just personally find environments that are heavily desaturated and/or mostly brown to be incredibly boring most of the time.