A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Anyone here have an account on Sonic Retro?

Strife

The reason I ask is because I've been having a lot of trouble trying to register on their forums, and they don't make it very clear about who I should contact if I want in. I created my account, but I never received a validation e-mail, and their help document tells me to go to my user settings, but I'm blocked out of user settings because my account isn't activated.

I've noticed that a few of you guys have accounts on the Retro forums and have even posted your game threads there, so I would be quite thankful for any help you can lend me. ^_^;

I'll try to write a post without flaming at how Retro accept users.

First you must write a presentation post, saying who are you, what are your skills and why you want be part of Retro.

If you wrote nicely enough, then admins will give you a 20-post test. If you prove you are the people admins like, you're in.

The thing is WTF the admins want the users to be...

10 months? Wow, Retro seems like a Federal agency when you put it like that. xD

It's been a week since I created my account, and apparantly they delete accounts that haven't been activated within that time, so maybe I can try a new e-mail address and see if the validation mail comes through.

EDIT: Okay, I'm in, and a new board is now visible to me where I can "plead my case." Wow, this does feel Federal. xD

A few days have passed since my validation request, and they say in their guidelines that if my request hasn't been approved within 8-12 hours, I shouldn't expect to be allowed in. I'm wondering if the reason I've been denied is because I used an emoticon in my request post.

How long do you think I should wait until I try again? Or did I only have one chance to make an impression?

Tweaker's MSN is nibesto at gmail. He's a good one to contact. Yes they are very strict on who they let in. I was very fortunate that they let me in rather quickly back in 2009. But yeah your best bet is to ask Tweaker. He's online all the time but sometimes doesn't respond so you may have to try him a few times. Once you get a hold of him though I'm sure he'll see you're a cool guy and let you in. Possibly skipping the whole trial member mess. That's what happened to me anyway.

Well, I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch. xD; Afterall, I don't want to give the impression that I'm begging or something.

It's a good idea, though. I'll wait a few more days so I don't come off as impatient, and then contact him if I'm still not in.

Be careful. It's a cool place and all but it took about a year for me to get approved. I became a trial member in a matter of hours, but it's about how you distribute your posts, and don't be a douchebag.

Just a warning, though- When your trial is up, don't go to the "Submit application" forum. It gives you a 404 error. What you should do is go onto #retro irc channel, and generally just be a cool chatter, don't be a douchebag etc. If you see an admin on, enroach the subject of the "submit application" forum not working properly. If you're talking to Tweaker or Scarred Sun, I think they are typically kind enough to allow you to present your case there.

Damn, it is really federal, isn't it?

I don't know how it is now, but back when I applied, I was told that making one liners ("Cool!" "That was awesome!") wasn't accepted there. Also, you'll need proper typing keeps. Not like a English teacher, just decent enough. No shortcut-ted words. Basically, proper sentence structure. In short, quality posts. The admins are alright, but I'd say Scared Sun is a bit hi-strung, but overall she seems to care for community, which is nice.

Personally, I like this, because it keeps out the kids who think it's cool to type "leik dis".

• 1 month later...

Been about 5 days in Pending Approval, all of my posts followed the rules and I was posting legitimate screenshots of my game in the specific thread.

After 10 months of waiting for my account to be accepted and now waiting this long to be accepted I can't help wonder, is there much fucking point?

I was in trial status for a year, but I ended up getting approved pretty quickly. If you're not approved after a few days, I think you can contact an admin.

To me it's better after you break the ice and get in. Considering the condition of Retro too, I think it's a pretty good system.

Definitely a legitimate question, especially in my case. xD; I mean, my project kinda blurs the line between a Sonic fangame and an original game with Sonic mechanics, so I'm not even sure if I'd be permitted to post about it there.

In any case, it never hurts to leave my application on the shelf, so to speak, until I have a strong reason to gain posting rights on their forum.

Definitely a legitimate question, especially in my case. xD; I mean, my project kinda blurs the line between a Sonic fangame and an original game with Sonic mechanics, so I'm not even sure if I'd be permitted to post about it there.

In any case, it never hurts to leave my application on the shelf, so to speak, until I have a strong reason to gain posting rights on their forum.

You might get some backlash over the fan character, but that's the only thing I can think of people pointing out negatively. Even then I doubt the majority will have a problem with that.