A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Jam

ECLIPSc70

2ziufbl.png

UPDATE: A lot of things have changed concept-wise but it is still the same game at its core. I unfortunately am not versed in programming or music but I definitely tried my best in those fields. There are many place holders as is apparent. I almost finished the art for the rest of the fans and EJ but my biggest concern is programming. I have a sufficient amount of proof and effort put into this game so if anyone would like to help who is familiar with GML, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Story: Once upon a time in a universe known as Illuminosity, there was a king and a DJ. The DJ's music was played widely around all of Illuminosity but the jealous king did not like this very much. The king did research and found a way to get HIS music to be played widely around Illuminosity instead. One night, the DJ was performing when his eyes connected to a beautiful girl; the king was also interested in this same girl for his own reasons. So the king decided to kill 2 birds with one stone by capturing the girl and taking out the DJ in one fell swoop. Will the kings plans go the way he thinks they will? Will the DJ get this girl to fall for him? Who is this chick anyway? Welcome to the love story known as JAM!

Game Details: Just close your eyes for a second and imagine this: When you toss on your headphones, you usually do it to zone people out and enter your own world right? A place where YOU control your enviornment, YOU ARE THE DJ! Depending on the type of genre of music your listening to, the level art and pathways change. You like rock? throw some rock on and watch as skulls and crazy spikey stuff comes out the ground. Like Funk? Well throw some on and the world of Illuminosity will bend for you! This is a music game...Buuut not just any music game; This is a music-based platformer!

Features:
-Welcome To YOUR World: Change the music on the playlist to change the enviornment around you to find hidden paths and secrets.
-Reek Havoc: Throw sound waves to have fun with the enviornment. Hit blocks to have them go flying or hit a pot with a wave to have it shatter.
-Explore Illuminosity: Take E.J. The DJ for a love trip like no other. Go through the story and find out what happens to the DJ, the girl and the king.
-Any Weapon?...Really!?: Well not really but explore what is known as the Armory Pool...

Characters:
-E.J. The DJ

2samopf.jpg
The hero of the story. He is new on the music scene but is widely loved all around Illuminosity. He instantly falls in love with a mysterious girl.

-MC K.I.N.G.( pronounced: em-see-kay-eye-enn-gee...it rhymes)
jqgaz6.jpg
The radio master that no one has listened too since E.J. blew up. He attemps to gain his position back as head musician of Illuminosity by taking out E.J. by any means.

Tracks: (plan on making 7 "Tracks")

01. Strobelight Night

Concept of Strobelight Night...
2d5jr8.jpg

Screenshots:

2lku3rp.png

1626wdl.png

2q9b6ef.png

n7rzn.png

Engine Test 1:

Engine Test 2:

**UPDATED VIDEO**

Engine Test 3

Hystory:
I started designing this game in my 8th grade year in middle school. Its name bounced from "Moon Light Nights" to "Genesis" to "Arms Race" then to "JAM". E.J. was once named "Emerald" when the game was still named "Moon Light Nights" and he wasn't black(E.J. is now black;p) The main character was originally going to be a girl named "sakura" because I was going through my otaku phase at the time. In my junior year of high school, I met this girl that I had a feeling would change my life(...dont ask-__-) so I dedicated this game to her ^__^( sounds cheesy, I know but what can I say, I'm that kind of guy) And since then, I've been working diligently on this game...concept-wise(I legit have EVERYTHING planned out). I recently found a programmer so this game will see the light of day soon...Infact, I plan to get a engine test video out before Thanksgiving to show you guys how it will play

Currently making this in Game Maker and all the in-game level and character art will be original and hand drawn.
Expect to see more soon

Streetba...eh...Eclipsc70:ssmile:

Edited by ECLIPSc70

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone! I updated slightly with an engine test video:

Please excuse the bad collision detection and animation...I wrote the engine myself and I still need to program slopes ;P. If anyone has suggestions to helping me make the engine smoother, please let me know.

• 2 months later...

UPDATE:

Shows off alot of whats in the game. Biggest problem is the collision detection which i'm having quite a bit of trouble with(if anyone wants to help me out in GM8 let me know^_^.)

The current level art is just a place holder.

Constructive feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys.

• 1 year later...