A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

A couple of things for mah game

GiriX

Well a couple things for the Sdash engine I guess :ssmile: I listed 'em in a list of importance, and which I'd actually be doing first, if doable.

So will it be possible to add a melee attack for the characters, I mean besides spindash and jump. Like adding a punch or kick. and to be able to chain attacks.

A health bar in exchange for the ring counter? I want the characters to have health bars, the main attraction for my game would be boss battles, and a beat-em-up style mixed with the platforming.

Oh, and uh, cutscenes. What would be the best and easiest way to make them, are they makable in Gamemaker? I'd probably have it like Sonic Battle, or maybe a comic book that lights up panel by panel, kinda like Secret Rings.

I was just wondering.

There's a tutorial on how to handle combat. It's ProShadowBlaze's SSK Tutorial 1. Perhaps it will be of use.

I have no clue how the hell to do a healthbar. Maybe you could ask PSB how he handles his.

Tutorials are more-or-less extremely difficult to do. While doing a comic-book-esque cutscene rap is a good idea and reminds me of Rush and Colors DS, you'll have to take number of things into consideration if you want to make a real-action cutscene. I,E,: use the physics of the engine, movement psyches, etc. I honestly feel that you won't be able to do that for a long time. You'll need to have quite a bit of coding experience to pull it off.

Cool, I'll look into it right away! Does he get on every now and then?

Well I if I went more comic-book ish, I'd do something like the story book series. But if real-action is that advanced, I'll wait to use that on another project.

Oh! What about putting little info boxes, like for example, a Omochao that you can bump into that pulls up a few wise words like what each button does.

Cutscenes are things I personally don't mess with. Or, at least, rarely. But the best way to make them is probably using your own engine and configuring an AI... or, as LakeFeperd did, make them all in Flash. But this last one would be one heck of a hard job.

Don't use MMF2's predefined movements (unless the pinball movement for debris of rocks, etc). It normally ends up ugly.