A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Concept Storm

Crosspost from Sonic Retro.

A game with the classic Megaman style of level progression (that is, a level select and obtaining power-ups/alt characters through boss fights) would be a decent way to make use of the multiple characters. The first big problem would be designing each level so that they're fun to play as with Sonic, but also branch off into alternate paths and use hazards that make use of other characters. The second would be to make the friends tolerable and even enjoyable to play as. So, brainstorming time?

Sonic [default]: run, jump, spindash, jump-into-run on ceilings/walls

Tails: flies, can control machinery/Badniks

Knuckles: glides, climbs, punches, burrows (Drill mode from Sonic Colors)

Blaze: effectively a fire shield (mid-air dash, fire immunity, nullifies ice, useless underwater)

Shadow: time pause/unpause

Vector: effectively a bubble shield (bounce, swim/infinite air underwater, useless near fire)

Espio: orange shadow clone (Ninja Gaiden 2)

Silver: telekinesis

Cream: Super Guide

Espio's shadow clone would be blue, purple, black, or possibly green... Orange does not suit him at all.

...And Cream can legitimately fly, too. Usually longer than Tails. Plus we mustn't forget Cheese.

Naming the technique "orange shadow clone" gets the idea across better if you've played NG2. I should have emphasised that Espio probably wouldn't use such a warm colour in-game. As for Cream she's basically Tails with a homing attack, which is pretty much the closest you get to Cathartic/Easy Mode - hence the possibility of letting the player use her if they've died on the same stage multiple times.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Any sort of futuristic city should have something anti-gravity related. Maybe have giant industrial machines that hover Sonic up, and the player moves left or right to select a certain path. Try to expand on what's in the city, like in Grand Metropolis and Power Plant.

I'd say it's just the combination of fangames already being experimental projects by nature and something like that requiring a rather copious amount of effort. It's perfectly doable, it's just that making one that actually goes anywhere is going to be rare since making a game in general that goes anywhere is rare too.

This. The one and only fangame i actually even claim to "work on" anymore is essentially a sort of metroidvania style game, although it really doesn't play like any real sonic title, and is more just a concept of a game i think would be fun to play using sonic characters adapted to beat-em-up mechanics. I've gone from "metroidvania" to "puzzle action-platformer" to "action-platformer with RPG mechanics", and now to "action-platformer with lite RPG mechanics" since i've decided to ditch the typical experience -> "Level Up!" idea. Truth is, the shit just takes too much time. I want a fun metroidvania experience, but the effort and planning it'll take to make it how i'd want it to be just is not worth my time for a Sonic Fangame.

Designing fun and engaging bosses, gimmicks, drawing new special effects for special skills and enemies, it's all very fun and all...but i can't do it anymore without feeling like in the grand scheme of things, im wasting my time.

I think Sonic Fangames are a wonderful, wonderful way to experiment and teach yourself about what makes a level, or what makes a game fun to play; about game design in general really, since i believe Sonic was a game designed with a wonderful use of an innovative mechanic. But when it comes down to it, you only get out what you put in. Not too many people around here are actually motivated enough to create their own level graphics, gimmicks, badnicks and bosses or whatnot. The shit is time consuming, and if you're mind is set on some really high-grade product then alot of trial-and-error is going to be included in your development time to tweak things to get them looking exceptional. This is why i personally encourage people not to nitpick over their level graphics so much.

It seems like I see a trend, where people who have "amature" looking graphics ironically design much better fangames than those who obsess over professionalism. But maybe it's just me.

Edit: oops. Wrong button brb.

• 6 months later...
Sorry for bumping it out of nowhere, but I remember someone once made a concept of a badnik for rainy levels that catch water and throw it on the Player and whatever.

Is there a reason all the original Concept Storm ideas have been hidden away, again? Why can't they just be left in a read-only archive for everyone to view? The whole stated purpose of the Concept Storm was that anyone could use the ideas. But since it is likely that the posts were concealed, not deleted, it means a choice was made to let only some people still view them.

As in, they were considered valuable enough to not delete, but without any acknowledgement that some members might think that too.

All that's left are barely viable memories such as that quote of LH the Hedgehog, when the whole thing could simply still be viewable to everyone.

*Pops out of nowhere again*

I'm pleased to know that I'm not the only one interested on those concepts.

Anyways, although the place was pretty much deserted, it is actually a valuable piece of the community. A place to start brainstorming, even by only reading what the others say.

Also it could be a nice tool for a new rep system

Well Ila, it actually started off fairly well. It wasn't until about 4 storms in that the ennui of the forums set in, so there is stuff that is kinda sorta worth reading if you are just looking for some ideas or to be refreshed on some stuff you've looked at before. I've actually been wanting to reopen it for a while now, but I've been hesitant to do so since I know I don't have a whole lot of time to run it.

Being refreshed is exactly what I'm missing. Ideas are my favourite "currency" of the whole fangaming concept; I'm kicking myself for not copying the whole CS when I had the chance. I do believe there was more content there than one could call too little to be worth knowing. I see one idea as an inspiration and that place was at least a few handfuls of them. Heck, I'll picture someone throwing a wheelbarrow in my mind and ask "Ok what can I get from that?" Anything that can inspire, I value.

So I'd love to see it come back, if only just to have those archived refreshers available again. Further functionality would be a bonus but would probably take a bit of proactive promotion.

Being refreshed is exactly what I'm missing. Ideas are my favourite "currency" of the whole fangaming concept; I'm kicking myself for not copying the whole CS when I had the chance. I do believe there was more content there than one could call too little to be worth knowing. I see one idea as an inspiration and that place was at least a few handfuls of them. Heck, I'll picture someone throwing a wheelbarrow in my mind and ask "Ok what can I get from that?" Anything that can inspire, I value.

So I'd love to see it come back, if only just to have those archived refreshers available again. Further functionality would be a bonus but would probably take a bit of proactive promotion.

Run for it Charlie! Run straight home Charlie, and don't stop 'til you get there!

Check the index. It should be visible again and should have been when you made this post