A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Adventure Remix Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi peoples long time no see not really much happening is there, well not to worry because I have some news. Since Sonic Adventure Remix needs some help with some ideas, I have annouced Sonic Rush Advanced all on one thread, and I currently have a little team, I couldnt possibly fit it on a forums so... I made a site after rebuilding the Sonic Colors 2D Fansite I had. Now it has its own direction part of the STi revival project. Well here it is

http://srtsite.moonfruit.com

Be sure to check out the latest projects and if you would like to help or join please do so. Thank You

-Sonic Remix Team

Woow that's a pretty good looking website nice job, and when u say u want sonic to do this (picture above this reply). Do u want him to 90 degree angle launch to the next spring or is there some kind of curve you're aiming for?

well im not sure how gamerguy did it... he probably created a specific spring to make sonic point at another springs or just set an angle. Im just trying which ever is easier though it would be nice to make sonic go like about 45 degree angle.

A 45 degree angle.... hmmmm...... maybe u can try to make sonic go to a specific point by making him aim at the coordinate of the spring you're going for. Like for example his homing attack sonic goes toward the enemies but he will keep trying to hit the target instead of destroying them if the code is not set for him to do so, but i'm pretty sure if sonic collides with that spring he will go the the selected action which is bouncing in the direction of the xspeed, and yspeed set. In the end when sonic hits the spring you will have to make a step of the event where he will stop the action of him going towards the spring to him bouncing of the desired object. Too much? I can try to make it easier if it is.

Actually, he did a simple timer and some angle adjustments.

For example:

Mask Collides with "Spring_obj_UP-LEFT"
Set Action to 20 (20 = Spring Animation UPLEFT)

Action = 20
Set Angle to 340 of "Skin_Sonic".
Add1 to SpringTimer

Action = 20
SpringTimer >=50
SetAction = 0 (0= Falling when in the air)
Set SpringTimer to 0[/CODE]

Somewhere in the engine there should also be code to make Sonic himself rotate so when you set action to 0 it should go from 320 to 0 smoothly but even that is simple enough to make.

Now, what I just may not be in GML. But it is a general baseline for how it can be or is done.

In gamemaker functions u will have to make an angle variable for his animations in order to make sonic face a certain way just like how he put in his code but change the angle of the animation when in that specific action. I think the full engine shows something like that.

If you really are going to do this though. You really should ask Gamerguy for the source. Or,even better. Continue the project as it was and possibly ask Gamerguy if anything else was done to it before it was canned such as future graphics for the other stages and what not. You never know untill you ask.

well those are all good idea. but there are some flaws with both of them. First of if you add sort of a homing thing on to go towards a spring how will he land on the ground if the spring was facing down. Same thing with timer idea youll ahev to make whatever its doing turn off or make the variable=0. BTH way i did ask him yet he hasnt replied. im going to try both and see what works best and i am going to investigate further if he used time or home in.

well i think i figured it it looks like he did do a home-in, probably towards an invisible object. Here is what i compared.

comparison.png

usually people use a 45 degree angle on the sprites since the spring it hits on is about 45 degree direction but it looks as if since it homes in because it the player points towards the 2nd spring. Also notice that the spring that makes you point at an angle is red while the rest is yellow(something i noticed not a big deal)

and maybe he used a timer and a homing together idk.

now im ready to make these springs

Just noticed this, and I might be able to help you out.

First, when a player collided with the homing spring he was snapped to the spring's position

x = other.x; y = other.y;

Next the player would check what instance to home into. What I did was set up the homing spring with a Creation Code in the room editor and make the code something like:

id_next = 'id of the next object in the spring sequence';

Back to the player collision event with the homing spring, we can now check if the spring has such an id:

if (!variable_local_exists('other.id_next')) 'return to normal then exit';
if (other.id_next == 0) 'return to normal then exit';
else {
    'go into homing spring mode';
    id_homing = other.id_next;
}

You would use a code like this in the step event to home in on the next object (an invisible object with a homing spring as it's parent can be used to end a homing spring sequence).

if ('in homing spring mode')  mp_linear_step_object(id_homing.x, id_homing.y, 6, self);

Oh, and for animation. You would have the sprites straight (not at a 45 degree angle) and have it's image_angle set to the direction variable.

That's the very basics of it. I'm sure you can work out the specifics for your engine.

Funnily enough, the method behind this helps me too. Looks like you are on your way to doing this now Wolfbane. I actually completely forgot that some of the members here actually programmed some or most of Firestorm and Adventure-Remix's engine.

To set to the direction variable. Couldn't you minipulate the Player.Angle value and turn it into something a long the lines of :

Set Player.Angle.
   Atan2(Xspeed("PlayerObj", Yspeed("PlayerObj"). 

Is this not possible in Gamemaker? Where you use the X and Y values to convert into a solid AirAngle?

thx pro shadowblaze but im confused on some parts. For example the id_next is supposed the next spring right? Well what if i wanted it to end with out another spring(just going at an angle through the air,would i put a timer or somethin). And if i want my y and x to be equal to the spring wouldnt it make sonic stay at the same spring. And yes i do know not to make it at 45 degrees,it was just what i compared to what my friend used and what is supposed to be used. Basically im just not getting the id_next part it somewhat confuses me,i mean what if i wanted 3 springs would i put id_next= 2nd spring and in the second spring id_next=3rd spring,then what about the third spring if i wanted him to head townwards at an angle then land? Oh and btw i never knew mp_linear... was a code thx i learned something new. Unlimited Chaos im not sure what you mean by air angle. Anyways i will try to fit the coding into the game and sit what happens

ugh i just cant get i tried your way pro shadowblaze but when i put it in to the game it just makes sonic go blah and he just goes at the invisible object's x. plz tell me what im doing wrong

1.i made a spring and its id_next= spring_point(the invisble object,which several pixels away from the spring with the parent of this spring and its id_next=0

2.then i put in the objPlayer collision with the spring x_speed=0 and y_speed=0. I also put if id_next=0 i set the angle back to 0 and his action to normal hominspring=0.And i put id_homin=id_next

3.then i put if hominspring=1(if its in spring mode) dir=point_direction(x,y,id_homing.x,id_homin.y) , its angle=dir, and that last piece of coding you gave me

I put all this and nothing worked right not even the angle was right

ugh i just cant get i tried your way pro shadowblaze but when i put it in to the game it just makes sonic go blah and he just goes at the invisible object's x. plz tell me what im doing wrong

1.i made a spring and its id_next= spring_point(the invisble object,which several pixels away from the spring with the parent of this spring and its id_next=0

2.then i put in the objPlayer collision with the spring x_speed=0 and y_speed=0. I also put if id_next=0 i set the angle back to 0 and his action to normal hominspring=0.And i put id_homin=id_next

3.then i put if hominspring=1(if its in spring mode) dir=point_direction(x,y,id_homing.x,id_homin.y) , its angle=dir, and that last piece of coding you gave me

I put all this and nothing worked right not even the angle was right

This was going to be a tricky thing to explain by text. Obviously, I wouldn't know the exact nature of the problem unless I saw it, and I don't think I can fix it without seeing the source code. I don't even know what engine you're using to make this. That would be really helpful to know.

So my theory with sonic moving towards a specific object was right except the part with him landing on the spring? I guess since game maker has a different type of collision then MMF2 he couldn't just hit the spring after the moving towards object choice. He had to make a different type of object for the collision to actually work and not let sonic phase through...... Sorry for me not telling u about that error its my mistake.

Ok Pro Shadowblaze let me clarify this for you, im using the b3 engine

and the code i used was was this...

in the create event of the spring, i put this...

id_next=spring_point[/CODE]

and in the objPlayer(parent of sonic and the others) collision of the spring i put

[CODE]x_speed=0 y_speed=0
if (other.id_next == 0)
{
action=action_normal
angle=0
hominspring=0
}
else {
hominspring=1;
id_homing = other.id_next;
}[/CODE]

Then in Sonic's step event

[CODE]
if hominspring=1
{
dir=point_direction(x,y,id_homing.x, id_homing.y)
angle=dir
mp_linear_step_object(id_homing.x, id_homing.y, 6, self)
}
[/CODE]

and in the invisible object(the object that sonic is moving towards) create event i put

[CODE]id_next=0[/CODE]

and thats it.

Well from your post at the very top it says he only goes towards the invisible objects x position why not calculate when sonic is going to hit the spring and adjust the yspeed till it hits the spring ure aiming for, or you can just set the value to make sonic's y position go upward to the springs.

Example: I hope u know what i mean by this haven't used gamemaker since version 8.... yspeed= player.y + spring.y

although it may be different in gamemaker......

heres something off topic but what kind of remix softwares do people on this site use or which do most sonic remixers use? I was just wondering and pro shadowblaze i noticed that your game,ssk, run very smoothly when the view moves. How did you do that? Do you up the room speed and slowed down the characters?

Well i think the springs are working...a bit...Anyways i just thought that i still need more stuff. First i need help of making this....

sar_screenshot1.jpg

the parallax of the water i've got the parts with the going under and everything but what i need is that effects that makes parts of the ocean move at different speeds...so how do i do the? Do i make like 10 diffents parts or what?Im quite confused.:ahuh:

Second, I need help with a pause screen

Finally,I need to make that view scrolling effect. When sonic moves faster the view moves forward.Though i have an idea of it, it would be helpful if someone could tell me how they did it