A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Vroom Vroom!! Do you drive, mate?!

Ristar

So, in about a month and a bit's time I will be a graduate (not THE graduade, however) and I'm wondering whether it's worth learning to drive.

Now, I have a couple of problems:

• I don't have the money to pay £3000 a year on insurance.
  • I don't trust anyone else on the road.
  • I suffer from panic attacks (last time I had one was on a quadbike, I thought I was blasting through a dirt track, absolutely shitting myself but apparently I was only going at about 5mph).

Now is it worth getting over these things and at least getting a license or is it better just to be a pedestrian?

Have you had anything similar to this and have you faced your driving demons?

Well im getting my first car soon,

You might wanna consider getting a Vauxhall corsa or an original Mini for cheaper insurance around 1500 :)

Also having a cars like freedom man, Just get in, Relax to music and just drive to wherever it takes you...

You will learn to trust other people on the road in time :)

After you've took your lessons and feel comfortable you shouldn't panic as much :)

I trust no one on the road, and I feel like that's saved my ass from several accidents already. In florida, everyone drives like a fucking idiot, so I expect it and drive accordingly.

Having a car is incredible, it's really not that hard to learn to drive, especially if you're a twitch gamer, it helps with the coordination.

Just follow the speed limits set for you and keep a healthy distance between you and the other people on the road, and you'll be good.

I trust no one on the road, and I feel like that's saved my ass from several accidents already. In florida, everyone drives like a fucking idiot, so I expect it and drive accordingly.

Okay so my mom was driving, teaching me fundementals of the road or whatever. We were at a red light, and she was explaining right turns and whatnot. Before the light turned red, she was explaining how she doesn't trust rushing after the light turns green because some people run the red lights, so she waits a short second before taking off just to be safe.

After the light turned green, a second later, an 18-wheeler ran the fucking light.

True story.

Although you may feel it's unfair that you have to do this, when driving you have to drive for others. I have definitely saved myself from at least a dozen careless/crazy drivers, and I know there will be more close encounters. If you are going to be working soon, you have to bite the bullet and get a car. But if you plan on staying home for a while and working in your town, walking/public trans/getting rides isn't a bad option. With gas prices, more young drivers and responsibility for car maintenance, it is too much of an investment for some people. I recommend getting the car, but it's really up to you and your lifestyle.

Edit: I misread the OP. You should absolutely get a lisence. Afterward, you don't have to drive and you can just ignore that you have it if you want, but absolutely get one whether you plan to be a pedestrian or not.

[*]I don't have the money to pay £3000 a year on insurance.

WHAT?!

I pay like the equivalent of £260 a year....what the hell kind of car are you wanting to drive?

Have you had anything similar to this and have you faced your driving demons?

You just have to get experience driving. That's the only way to get comfortable.

And I don't know where you live in England exactly, but driving in a urban environment is much more stressful than suburban or rural. I learned how to drive in Indiana, where the population is more sparsely dispersed than the East Coast, and there are a lot of corn fields and lots of free-flowing interstates (similar to motorways). Then, I moved to college, and started learning how to drive in DC. That was extremely frustrating.

So you need to either learn how to drive in the country and work your way to the city driving, or just take the plunge and learn how to drive in the city.

thanks a lot for the help.

i'm hoping to get a shitty job in a supermarket once I'm back home, just to pay off my credit card and bank overdraft so I'm in the black once I move out. so I'll probably take the plunge and at least go for a license.

fortunately my hometown is just a little market town, though my student place is in a big city (Leeds, which has a fucked up one-way system). I'm probably not gonna return to Leeds though, at least not in a car, far easier to get a train and walk there.