A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Score Card Help!

I'm using Game Maker 6.1 and do you guys know when at the end of a level in moden Sonic games, how it shows: Rings, Time, Score, Final Score something like that and for each ring the player gets 100 points and the same thing for Time, and Score and decreases to the players final score. I hope I'm not confusing you guys but I hope you get what I mean how would I implement something like that in my game using Game Maker?:confused:

Well, I don't use GameMaker, but I think I can give you an idea (I'm assuming that you know a good deal about Game Maker).

Alright, you have three variables (Time, Rings, Score) and one global variable (Total/Final Score). Make another variable (I'll call it "Flag" for now); It'll be useful later. Converting Score is easy; Just make this kind of statement...

1. Every .05 seconds, if Score is greater than 0, then...

-Subtract 100 from Score

-Add 100 to Total Score

Next, you want to work on Rings. Again, simple, but you only want it to start after the Score is finished, so...

2. Every .05 seconds, if Score is equal to 0 AND Rings are greater than 0, then..

-Subtract 1 from Rings

-Add 100 to Total Score

Finally, we have Time. You want to set that up in a ranking system, so make several of these...

3.If Score is equal to 0 AND Rings are equal to 0 AND Time is equal to (Insert number here), then...

-Add (Insert number here) to Total Score

-Set Flag equal to 1

...changing the numbers in the (Insert Number Here) to make you get higher points as you finish the level faster. Now, if you want to make the Time run down to 0 like Score and Rings did, you'll need to make a statement using Flag, like so...

4. Every .05 seconds, if Flag is equal to 1 AND Time is greater than 0, then...

-Subtract 1 from Time

--------------------------------

That should do it. Hope that helps.

I think he'd prefer to know how so he can try it out himself instead of copying a script. It could be used as a reference though. The only problem with USC's method is GM doesn't due time stuff so you can't say every 0.05 of a second, you have to use a different method, but I guess it does give the basic idea. Personally, I don't understand how people have trouble with this though...

I think he'd prefer to know how so he can try it out himself instead of copying a script. It could be used as a reference though. The only problem with USC's method is GM doesn't due time stuff so you can't say every 0.05 of a second, you have to use a different method, but I guess it does give the basic idea. Personally, I don't understand how people have trouble with this though...

For the time, you could have a alarm that resets every 5 steps.