A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Augmented Reality, and the 3DS.

Nemox

I've never really been interested in this "Augmented Reality" thing until now.

I don't know if you all have seen the Target Shooting game that's built into the 3DS. I haven't heard any word on it until I saw this one video. Basically, you take a card that comes with the 3DS, play the game, and while you use the camera on the card, it makes little targets show up on your screen. Even makes it look as though you're looking down a hole on the surface the card's on.

Here's it:

It really amazes me to see what can be done with the 3DS, and now I'm amazed about the idea of augmented reality games. Imagine something like a platformer game based on this idea; make a little character run around on the tables in a restaurant, or on top of your bookshelf.

Or an every-day reality enhancement that functions like an office tool or something. With subtle images that make people think they're seeing ghosts in it.

What kinds of Augmented Reality things would you like to see for 3DS or other systems?

On that note, I hear Konami is making a Yugioh game for 3DS. Could that mean....

On that note, I hear Konami is making a Yugioh game for 3DS. Could that mean....

Yes.

IT'S TIME TO DUE-DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-EL!

...in America.

(etc. etc.)

This Nintendo 3DS thing looks actually pretty cool. But I probably won't get one for years. I mean, I just bought a DS Lite a few months ago. Had to get Soul Silver. :smidge:

Only America?

Screw the rules, I have green hair!

Yeah, I dunno if I'll end up getting one right away since I have so much crap to deal with before that. But I definitely want one.

If only I were able to make homebrew...

I'm getting back into the card game I was designing, just in case I might have a chance at developing an Augmented Reality adaptation for it.

I want a 3ds (have I mentioned that?)

I am a little skeptical of this game. I need to play it myself to believe something like this is possible. But if it is, this could be nintendo (yet again) revolutionizing the way we play games.

If Elite Beat Agents 2 gets announced for the 3ds, I will slowly start to die until I get one.

I want a 3ds (have I mentioned that?)

I am a little skeptical of this game. I need to play it myself to believe something like this is possible. But if it is, this could be nintendo (yet again) revolutionizing the way we play games.

If Elite Beat Agents 2 gets announced for the 3ds, I will slowly start to die until I get one.

They probably jazz it up in the commercial, but I've seen others do similar techniques in 3DS Max and Maya. As long as the object (card in this case) stays in the camera's view, it can keep track of it, and create those visual effects based on where the card is.

What I'm amazed at is the creativity shown in the graphics; creating a hole in the table. I wouldn't have even thought of something like that!

EDIT: Looks like a Yugioh-esque game was made in 2006 for PS3, The Eye of Judgment, which uses a camera to see your cards, then relays the card onto the screen with the actual creature on top of it. The big flaw in it was the whole basis around the gimmick, so fewer people actually cared about the game.

I've given a lot of thought to games like this, and if I actually try to make something similar, I'm definitely focusing on card game first, then video game adaptation.