A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Cube Redone: Shine

Shine: This Wisp power allows Sonic to send off shock waves of light energy, destroying metal blocks and Enemies in it's wake. Unlike Cube, the shock waves spread light to invisible blocks that Sonic can walk on for top secret paths. Tread carefully, as the blocks disappear when Sonic turns to normal.

Alright, this is off to a good start, but how is making invisible blocks visible any different gameplay wise from just converting a ring to a block? The effect is the same, as when Sonic reverts, blocks and rings go back into their original state, typically back into rings. What else can you add to this to make it different from its original power?

Actually on that note, if Sonic were to activate his "Shine" power again, would the blocks he lit up stay lit, or would they disappear? This could be an interesting puzzle solving element if its the former.

Well, As I thought about it, On reference, it refers to the "Bulb Fruit" On Mario Galaxy 2. How that one works is that it illuminates dark rooms and invisible paths in a wide radius. But as time passes, the light's radius gets smaller and smaller.

This is how I envisioned the Shine wisp but in relation to the cube wisp. It's shining shock wave creates a radius for invisible blocks to appear and in very dark levels, it brightens up the entire level. The blocks also appear and become solid if Sonic happens to touch one.

After a wile, the blocks Sonic isn't standing on slowly fades as well as the illuminated level, so it forces you to use the shock wave again and deplete more wisp energy. Time doesn't consume the wisp energy, but using Shine will take a chunk of it away so you can only use it so many times.

May I suggest somethin'?

I'm not sure if it already exists in any Mario game, but transparent blocks are fine. Spread them on the level's environment as they could be easily accessed with or without the "Shine Wisp". I mean, you can walk over it without the power, but you'll never know where are the pits.

And then, when you activate the power, they either reflect or refract the light so the player can see them.

EDIT: When you activate this power, the player should see the blocks and say "how the heck didn't I notice that?"