A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Before The Sequel - New Video: Lost Levels Zone

LakeFeperd

It's close enough. The controls and physics feel right, the art direction is simply lovely, and there are enough loops, curves, and rolling paths well synthesized with platforms other foreground objects to make me feel like I'm playing a really good Sonic game, because I am. It does some different things, like have steep cliffs for Sonic to roll down and watch the background change from stormy to sunny and whatnot, and I consider things like that a good sign of creativity. I don't feel like I'm specifically playing one of the Genesis games, and I don't feel like I'm playing a Rush game. I feel like I'm playing a Sonic game in it's own right that takes after the look and feel of the Genesis games. Kinda like a sequel, only with the more limited scope of a fangame. That's all.

I thought you did a good job with graphics, presentation etc(I mean come on people he's not getting paid for this). My only problem is that the level design was kind of bland. By that, I mean there were no enemies and aside from moving platforms not much that differentiated the levels from every other sonic game ._.

ahh yeah and rain caused slowdown. I would either implement a different way(if you're using objects for example, then use 1 big object. Would consume less CPU/ram but maybe be slightly harder on video ram depending on the gfx card). Or if thats not an option please put in an option to disable it ._.

Or if thats not an option please put in an option to disable it ._.

Lucky you

im currently designing the options screen.

SS25.png

After testing the game in another computer, the game crashes when the game plays the animations, so i did the option to skip them.

Maybe i could add an graphics option.

and about the blank levels, you may notice that the only level that isn't like that is the third act of hilltop heights, the only new level in this demo.

that means that most of levels will be like that, i mean, not to blank.

@MegaDash

thanks, im glad that it didn't feel like a rush game.

Completely agree with MegaDash.Game is really great!

Its 'classic'(thats what i like more then other) but it looks fresh!With great additions, ideas and design!

I think if Sega made some kind "new classic console" it had games like this =)

EDIT: GREAT Tails art!Where did you get it?!

Completely agree with MegaDash.Game is really great!

Its 'classic'(thats what i like more then other) but it looks fresh!With great additions, ideas and design!

I think if Sega made some kind "new classic console" it had games like this =)

EDIT: GREAT Tails art!Where did you get it?!

thanks.

oh, and the artwork, it's a secret image from sonic CD

fotos_secretas_6.gif

Lucky you

im currently designing the options screen.

[qimg]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_lOh0dBqnnr4/TTYQ8QwXnII/AAAAAAAAAOc/KSKYxdOWmsw/SS25.png[/qimg]

After testing the game in another computer, the game crashes when the game plays the animations, so i did the option to skip them.

Maybe i could add an graphics option.

and about the blank levels, you may notice that the only level that isn't like that is the third act of hilltop heights, the only new level in this demo.

that means that most of levels will be like that, i mean, not to blank.

@MegaDash

thanks, im glad that it didn't feel like a rush game.

sexy

I'll corroborate one thing from CrypticSailor: lack of unique enemies. It wasn't a huge problem for me, and I do remember that turret-guy-thing in one of the later acts, but it looks like it could use some design work. Oh, and that spider design needs to go. It looks a tad cheap.

As for not having elements that differentiate it from any other Sonic game: that's hardly true for any other Sonic fan game. Sometimes borrowing or scavenging familiar set pieces from the old games, cutting them up, and giving them a new paint job and new bells-and-whistles is enough to liven up the overall impression of the stage--if done well. I would like to see some genuine creativity from the game, naturally; but all in good time. So far it looks neat, and I do rather enjoy that extra speedy ghost-image running animation. Also the distinct lack of abuse of speed boosters. I think there were like, a few, and if there were more I didn't notice them.

@MegaDash

For the enemies, im planing to add a different type of motobug after each zone and, if you notice, Hilltop Heights act 1 and 2 dont have enemies, its an intro level, much like isolated island that, as far as i know, dont have enemies.

And, yes, the spider is static, i dont do anything.

it is an upper view of the grabber, a badnik from sonic 2

@topic

Here is a new build with the options screen

http://www.4shared.com/file/r8teHCsb/Sonic_BTS_2.html

i didn't tested it yet but the graphics option only have affect in hilltop heights act 1 and 2

SS26.png

• 1 month later...
you mean, in Dust hill the 3º act, right?

yeah, it switches like in the video, my computer isn't able to record the sound so i wasn't able to show the gameplay with the real in game sound.

I gathered that.

Which is why I asked if the real in-game sound would do something like that. I doubt it'd be easy, but if it does (or can), that'd be a neat trick!