A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Before The Sequel - New Video: Lost Levels Zone

LakeFeperd

I thought there were quite a few places in the game where Sonic just runs, runs, runs and nothing really interesting like gimmicks or enemies appears.

On the other hand, i really like the background for the Rock Lake zone, as well as that Motobug enemy that shows up after that warning sign. I really wish i had thought of that while working in the city stage of my game! =)

I thought there were quite a few places in the game where Sonic just runs, runs, runs and nothing really interesting like gimmicks or enemies appears.

On the other hand, i really like the background for the Rock Lake zone, as well as that Motobug enemy that shows up after that warning sign. I really wish i had thought of that while working in the city stage of my game! =)

I tried to make gimmicks for hilltop hights, but all end up in fail.

It's a level that focus more in visual presentation than in challange itself.

That's the reason i think it's too easy.

I was thinking in a 3º act for that level, what you think?

---

@topic

Oh and there is a unused enemy in the star shores zone

i just forgot to remove it.

Lake, I LOVE THAT. Played it two times in a row. I once started designing new kinds of loops when I was 12, and now you gave me a new idea on how classic level design could have been.

The issues:

I understand that you are using Worlds 0.5, but that thing is buggy. I wonder why you're not using Delta 1.2b. Sonic also barely jumps over the spikes and, sometimes, when you touch them, you get hurt, but you still remain over it and get one ring.

The debriefing in the end of the levels is f*cked up (sorry for the rude word, but I had to use it). I've made a Score Count How-to that has been adapted to Delta (Hehe, you guys thought I wouldn't notice, right? yeah, that shit is mine). You may find it here.

EDIT: Hey, wouldn't that water jumping issue be related to the spikes? You should take a look.

Besides all of that, I also love your backgrounds. But sometimes I can't see where I'm going when I'm running :P Well guess that's not a problem... I feel like you don't intend to put "surprises" on the way, right? lol

May I suggest a Team Work of the trio for a Big Boss?

Lake, I LOVE THAT. Played it two times in a row. I once started designing new kinds of loops when I was 12, and now you gave me a new idea on how classic level design could have been.

Thanks!

The issues:

I understand that you are using Worlds 0.5, but that thing is buggy. I wonder why you're not using Delta 1.2b. Sonic also barely jumps over the spikes and, sometimes, when you touch them, you get hurt, but you still remain over it and get one ring.

The debriefing in the end of the levels is f*cked up (sorry for the rude word, but I had to use it). I've made a Score Count How-to that has been adapted to Delta (Hehe, you guys thought I wouldn't notice, right? yeah, that shit is mine). You may find it here.

Im not using the delta build because i really didn't like the camera and it give a lot of slowdown in my PC when testing the frame.

And, yes, it is "f*cked up" i had lot of problems in the frame switch (you should have seen that I asked for help here)

And that's the only problem that remained there

EDIT: Hey, wouldn't that water jumping issue be related to the spikes? You should take a look.

if that is true, if i fix one, the two will be fixed. right?

May I suggest a Team Work of the trio for a Big Boss?

well, i have lots of ideas for a boss battle(only 2 for now) but i dont even know how to start

and... who is this trio that you are talking about?(sorry, i don't know much about you guys here)

I would love if someone helps me with something in the game anyway.

@LakeFeperd

Yes, maybe if you fix that spikes thing you may also fix the watr jump.

By trio I mean Sonic, Tails and Knuckles.

did you know were should i look in the delta biuld's code?(like you said in the topic that i asked for help)

Sorry, i was thinking that was a trio of real people

well, thats impossible anyway, it's right after sonic 1 so it's only sonic and tails.

• 4 weeks later...

I've gotta say, the cutscenes were really well animated. Well done!

I enjoyed the third act of Hilltop Heights but though the section were you jump up the platforms in the tree was a bit odd. You need to make it a little easier to see the character through the leaves.

Also, how come Starlight Carnival was so ridiculously short? Just a taster of what's to come?

I've gotta say, the cutscenes were really well animated. Well done!

I enjoyed the third act of Hilltop Heights but though the section were you jump up the platforms in the tree was a bit odd. You need to make it a little easier to see the character through the leaves.

Thanks!

The tree was made to me like that, it forces de player to go to it's edge, where you can see the plataforms, but if you venture yourself to the interior you can find 3 1up monitors

Also, how come Starlight Carnival was so ridiculously short? Just a taster of what's to come?

Actually, yeah.

Erm... I dont finished the demo yet but...

Awesome

I think you more or less got the point of how new 2D sonics should be, at least in my opinion.

Very nice work, thanks.

But also, you should make somehting to fix that lag.

I dont know anything about mmf, so I cannot help.

Anyways, Good Luck!

Just played new demo, and it's AWESOME!

I played only first demo before and it not impressed me.But now i really inpressed!Levels looks more original now..That big tree part looks really original.

Cutscenes awesom!Tails cutscene is specially great!Great music - just remembered that Sonic Jam track =)

Great Work!

@Felik

well, even most of fan games that have the word "classic"(or something refering to the genesis games) on the title, feel like the classic games.

After all i did in hilltop heigths i decided it wont be an "classic" game, i will be just a fan game with my own level design.

@LH The Hedgehog

Thanks again LH