A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Help a brother out...

Ristar

Sup.

So I'm now a freelance composer, much like Tim Follin.

Thing is... no one really wants to hire a composer with little to no portfolio.

Here is my current demoreel:

This is where some of you darlings come in.

I need work. Any sort of soundtrack work, from bleeps and blips to (maybe) orchestral scores, just to beef up my portfolio.

Does anyone know anyone working with, say, mobile phone game developers who may be in need of audio work? Or a short film in need of a score?

I'd really like to do something... anything for now. I'll even do it for free for a while. A lot of you know that I'm a pretty able composer, just lacking in experience really.

Rubbish thing about being a composer is that you have to whore yourself, much like I'm doing now.

I just need contacts really!

yours truly,

Candy xxx

Also, you need to diversify your portfolio outward from just chiptunes. Your portfolio should incorporate tastes of the entire range of what you are capable of. That's another reason it's good to use really small demo tunes.

EDIT: Oh, I was going on that thing you posted a while ago. I'm seeing now that you actually do have more diverse stuff. Awesome.

Also, you need to diversify your portfolio outward from just chiptunes. Your portfolio should incorporate tastes of the entire range of what you are capable of. That's another reason it's good to use really small demo tunes.

EDIT: Oh, I was going on that thing you posted a while ago. I'm seeing now that you actually do have more diverse stuff. Awesome.

:D

yeah i didn't realise how diverse my stuff actually was. It's still pretty focused though, but apparently that's a good thing. If the music I like making will strike a chord (lol) with the audio director, then I'll end up producing a great soundtrack as it'll be a style of music I enjoy.

I'm flexible of course, I always want to expand my tastes...