A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

3D Sonic Fangame

Nemox

EDIT: This thread started out kinda badly; without much real purpose. But if anyone is still interested, here it is redone.

A totally revamped thread!

Yes, I am working on a Sonic-inspired motion system for the Unity Game Engine, along with some other parts for action-adventure games. Essentially, an action-adventure RPG kit which can easily be applied to Sonic games. I started work on this over a year ago, and as any eager young game developer who had just learned a great deal, I became excited and wanted to create a full-fledged game. I originally created this topic with the intention of getting a development group together; mostly art and animation assets. However, as my understanding of game development has grown, my goals and plan for the game have drastically changed.

As this development kit is being designed as a game development toolset rather than a game, the Sonic aspect will be secondary, and act as a sandbox for my ultimate projects. This means that I'll primarily be working on the systems and some general Sonic aspects that go into it, while I might ask for help creating levels for it.

The control system itself is designed to be truly universal. It will have settings that apply all sorts of different action gameplay styles, from platforming to first-person-shooter to third-person shooter to racing game- Mario Galaxy style gravity, free-roaming, roller-coaster gameplay; anything. Yes, it's a complicated undertaking, but it's coming along well. Everything is entirely physics-based, and very much centered around momentum. While slower characters (Link or Bowser for example) would not notice this immediately, it still plays a big role in what they're able to do.

It is not yet as refined or developed as Sonic GDK, but I hope that it will at least be as impressive in its sheer flexibility.

Another sub-system I've got planned is a universal clothing/inventory/equipment,etc. system. Primarily for RPGs, but it could enhance the Sonic experience in several ways as well. Here's a comical experiment: Hedgehog in Hero's Clothing

Clothing options in a Sonic game? Primarily for NPCs. But hey, Amy's got to have a hobby, yeah?

Anyone who wants to help, I'm primarily looking for environment pieces, textures and any other art donations. The system is not yet ready for any extra scripting, ala abilities 'n' such.

One thing in particular, I could use someone who has some shader experience.

My current character models are the playable ones from Sonic Heroes; an updated library would be nice as well. I can animate them and all; I'm just not good at the actual modeling. ... (Don't worry, my animation skill has gotten better.)

Here's a few videos demonstrating how it's come along. They're very old, but they'll suffice until I get my next one up: Sonic in Unity 1 Sonic in Unity 2 "Super Sonic Galaxy"

Took only about 3 days to get that working, and I've learned a ton since then. I'm currently rewriting the entire system to be better in every aspect.

Current Team: (tl;dr)

Tuah - Scripting, modeling, animation.

• 1 year later...

System won't let me send a PM but, I wanted to ask how its coming along :) I'm interested in your Unity work.

I have the beginnings of an engine working in Unity too but I don't have the time to really put more into it, but it's good to see other people working in Unity now.

Wow, I'm surprised anybody would have posted in this topic, especially after so long. And even for me to have come and read the forums on the same day. Lucky, that.

Anyways, my overall skill and perspective on the whole thing has impacted the projected design a great deal. I've recently redone the whole motion system to be almost entirely momentum-based, and while there are a few calculations that aren't perfect, I've decided to settle on ones that are more functional for the time being.

I've got several more parts to tidy up, but I should be almost ready to make a little content for testing. In a few days I'll perhaps edit the main post with updated information on where the project has gone, and where it is going.

I just hope it isn't as embarrassing as that Link-scaled-down-with-Sonic's-head-grafted-on-in-a-completely-unfitting-manner model you showed in this topic.

Hey, it animated properly! Wasn't meant to be serious anyway. xP

But yeah, I'm actually getting into developing actual -systems- rather than functional odds and ends. Currently working on the camera, which I haven't spent even a moment working on before.

I might be able to do some 3D modeling, and artwork if needed.

That sounds great! I would need lots of generic pieces, and perhaps some themed ones as well; any theme you'd like from the Sonic series, and I'll make a themed test level around it. (Or hell, any game series for that matter. xD)

I think the big thing with my designs is the perspective involved with everything; my numbers are all based on interaction with arbitrarily-sized blocks, so I'm not quite sure how everything plays out realistically. I would like to strive for Adventure-scaled levels if possible.

@Raz: Good question, I would really like to keep my stuff as open-source as possible, but real life might get in the way. I am trying to keep my designs as flexible as possible to allow anyone to make use of and expand upon it while still keeping it closed-source; at least until I can solve some external issues.

EDIT: Updated the main post, by the way.

The fact that you just say you'll make a level around whatever the first random guy who offers to do some modeling work just happens to toss your way leaves me questioning your preparedness to take on something like what you are saying you want to take on. Have you ever made any type of game on any sort of scale before, or are you just the type of person who woke up one day thinking that if you tinker on something long enough with enough chaotic and grand aspirations that it will eventually come to form?

Jumping into something like this where content production requires a vast skillset and tons of time just so that you can play around with an engine is probably one of the least productive ways to build your skills as either a programmer or a game designer. I sincerely doubt that anyone is ever going to be able to muster enough steam to build the kind of thing you are talking about just as a hobbyist in his spare time.

When I started off several years ago, I definitely was the naive noob who figured game development was within my grasp, and I definitely didn't start out with the mindset necessary for it. Even when starting this project a year and a half ago, I still didn't truly know what I was doing. But I stuck with it and learned a great deal. I accept that there's still a long way to go, but I have an insane amount of spare time, and I think I'm meeting my goals rather nicely.

Regarding the level, it's simply a testing sandbox and doesn't require a great deal of dedication; that effort is going into a snowy level, which I'm waiting to build until I've spent this time refining stuff, and until I've properly learned shaders.

In accepting random pieces from said random guy, I can determine just how well my system is designed at its core; whether my system is truly as universal as I have tried to make it.

Proof's in the pudding though. I'll just keep workin' until I can show you how much better it's getting. ;3

@Raz: Good question, I would really like to keep my stuff as open-source as possible, but real life might get in the way. I am trying to keep my designs as flexible as possible to allow anyone to make use of and expand upon it while still keeping it closed-source; at least until I can solve some external issues.

That would be really nice. What kind of external issues are there? Also, is there a way to contact you on skype or aim, if you wouldn't mind?

That would be really nice. What kind of external issues are there? Also, is there a way to contact you on skype or aim, if you wouldn't mind?

Eh, lots of things involving family and current life situations. I'm able to develop this control system and the various other subsystems on the grounds that putting it on the Asset Store might bring me some of my own income, even if it is small. The Tornado Twins seem to be doing well with that sort of thing though, and their system... eh.

My Skype is NinjaTuah, but my mic died and I keep forgetting to get a new one. Text chat could work though. xP