A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Android Development

CrypticSailor

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing scripting for a game called Love Runner, which I believe will be for Android as well as iPhone. Honestly, I can't keep up with all the new gadgets out. But that's where the benefit of a multi-platform engine comes in.

I can program for one, and it'll still work on others. xP

It's a little spare-time project for most of those working on it, but I think it'll turn out nicely because of it.

I'm saying that if you want to develop for Android, you have to play by it's rules. You don't really make programs in the traditional sense... instead you make these... 'context' things. Then you need to properly handle a context freeze if the phone has to leave your app for something that requires context switching like... oh, say to answer the phone. All of this would be fine and dandy, but the whole thing is rather odd to wrap your head around at first even if you already do a lot of java programming.

My Senior Seminar class was basically all Ruby on Rails and Android and then a final project that took our Android project and interfaced it with the Ruby on Rails server... I kind of came up with this ridiculous idea to make a graphical game involving scheduling a bunch of server-side warrior fights and then watching them on the phone. Well, suffice to say things happened a little differently, but in the end we pulled it off... probably wouldn't have been able to do it on my own either. I did the combat engine and a good bit of the graphics programming which was done on the android side of things, a CS buddy of mine Owen did most of the go-between stuff as well as got the graphics framework going and another CS buddy Trent handled most of the server interaction. We had one more in the group... who was a Math major and spent 99% of his time struggling through the in-class exercises, so we didn't bother him much.

In any event, it was pretty cool. We have people log on to some remote server, load their team (up to 10 warriors) and any other team that they wanted their warriors to fight, watch them fight, and then give the winning team a rather large chunk of money and the small team a chunk of money that they could use to recruit more warriors or improve their stats. The warriors would run around healing, shooting, or shanking eachother depending on their weapon and I put in a number of effect sprites to signify attacks and healing... mostly stolen, hearts that would fly and fade, swishy sword thingies, arrows, blood smears...

We freaked out like crazy bastards though the whole time. It was an oppressive project that I never should have suggested. Most everyone else just did lame shit like listing cars and stuff and half of the projects were broken. It was worth it on sheer coolness though. Still, I'd never suggest something that ballsy again for a group school project.