A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Level-specific Item boxes/monitors.

DJ espeed

I know I've been here for more than two years, but I'm not sure if this'd go here or in the Fangaming discussion... (Please move to the most appropriate forum, if possible) Anywho, on to the point of my thread.

While I was spending time creating some monitor sprites last night, I had an idea. What if item box/monitor frame designs were level specific? If you are not getting the drift of my idea, I will happily explain.

Say, for example, in Sonic & Knuckles' Lava Reef/Hidden Palace Zone, your item boxes would crystal frames with the typical display. Or you could have something a little more creative, like crystalline formations of those items on a rock-base of sorts. Have you guys ever looked into such an idea?

Yeah, we did have both of those ideas, but the item box contest was just a custom item box contest, not a level specific item box contest.

Unfortunately... I don't have them archived. I had them archived, but the hard drive they were on crashed, and so that's out of the question.

http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2902&highlight=sprite+contest

A few of them are still salvageable.

And the monitors:

http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2617&highlight=Sprite+Competition

I used to do zone-specific monitors with my game, but in the end, I felt just having a universal monitor felt more appropriate for a classic Sonic platformer.

Not discouraging you from doing it, though; believe me, zone-specific monitors can look superb if done right. I remember seeing Sonic 1 custom monitors posted a few years ago for Project:SR, along with a few others built to match the project's planned zones, and those looked quite stylish. :)