A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

What if Sonic 3 were released nowadays...?

P3DR0

This is a fictitious review written by a guy called "Urameshi" on a brazilian Sonic Forum called "Forum Portal Sonic". I didn't wrote this, I though it was interesting and translated it to english.

The idea behind it it's to show a review of Sonic 3 (If it were released nowadays):

Today has been released the sequence of the game Sonic 2. Sonic the Hedgehog 3. This game are going to be better than the previous ones? No fucking way. See here why:

The game starts exactly where Sonic 2 has stopped. Sonic gets out of the plane and transform into Super Sonic for no reason. He could perfectly stayed on the plane and gone straight to Robotnik. Then, a new character called Knuckles appears and attacks Super Sonic, and then he... STOLE THE EMERALDS? What the heck? Super Sonic isn't invincible anymore? What a blunder, SEGA.

But let's keep going. So then, Tails appears flying (don't ask me what he did with the plane). As a good and curious player, I've picked up the second control to play as Tails and then...

imagempt.jpg

... What... the... Fuck is that, SEGA? Isn't enough for Tails just fly? Now he also can carry Sonic? If he could do it, why he hasn't done it on Sonic 2??

But wait, it's about to get worst:

imagembf.jpg

NOW TAILS CAN SWIM TOO! Wow dude, I didn't know that I was playing Super Mario!

And what about that first level design? It's full of breakable rocks (like those obstacles of Hill Top, but with the difference that on Sonic 3 it doesn't show alternative paths when broken up). And the robots (badnicks) act exactly like the ones on Sonic 2, only the design has changed!

imagemyfa.jpg

Where's the originality?

And then I've reached the second level, Hidrocity (just by the name you already know that is a water-level). Now, feel the stupidity flow:

imagemrd.jpg

This is one of the three special shields of the game. The other two, fire and eletricity, they simply disappear when you touch the water (WHAT?). And this one - the bubble shield - allows Sonic to breath on the water! In other words: they have erased the fun of the water-levels! Now they are just a common level since you don't have to search for bubbles anymore!

I'm not going to buy this game, seriously. On the forum that I've downloaded it, there are people complaining that there's no way to finish Carnival Night Zone. Everyone is waiting SEGA release a patch to fix this.

But if it's going to release a patch, then fix the damn soundtrack! Masato Nakamura has composed Sonic 1&2 soundtracks, and without him, Sonic 3 doesn't even deserve this name!

The only way now is to wait Sonic 4 to correct these mistakes!

111quts.png

Sonic 3 expands on Sonic 2 in every way twisting it to make it sound bad is just silly.
You guys didn't get the objective of the review. The whole idea was "What if Sonic 3 were released nowadays?" 'cause nowadays Sonic fans has the incredible skill to complain about everything. This thread isn't suggesting that Sonic 3 is bad on any concept. Not at all.

The objective is to ironize Sonic fans making a question: What if one of the bestest Sonic games ever, were released today? Will us have the same opinion about it that we had a decade ago?

Again... This is a joke. :)

Sonic fans don't complain about everything. There haven't been any good Sonic games since then and its not the fans fault. The concept is very simple when there were good Sonic games out no one complained. Now there are bad Sonic games and people complain. See the connection? People complain when shit sucks.

You guys didn't get the objective of the review. The whole idea was "What if Sonic 3 were released nowadays?" 'cause nowadays Sonic fans has the incredible skill to complain about everything. This thread isn't suggesting that Sonic 3 is bad on any concept. Not at all.

The objective is to ironize Sonic fans making a question: What if one of the bestest Sonic games ever, were released today? Will us have the same opinion about it that we had a decade ago?

Again... This is a joke. :)

The only argument that stuck was the observation that Knuckles managed to revert Super Sonic back to normal AND steal the emeralds AND get away from him.

Nobody today would complain about Tails being able to fly, carry sonic and swim, because lets face it, there hasn't been a Sonic Character with that many abilities since Sonic 3. I cant see the shield argument standing because 1. they give sonic abilities, 2. you have to find them on the stage, and 3. they actually ADD to the platforming aspect of the game, not subtract. Kind of how Sonic Colors' wisps are doing, minus the whole alien teletubbie shit.

Big difference here? Sonic 3 was a good game. Shorter than Sonic 2, but just as fun, and way longer and more original in design in the first 3 levels than Sonic 4's entire episode. The game actually changed and added many, many things to the series but still managed to improve it. Not enough to change the game entirely, but enough to make it FRESH. They didn't have to rely on rehashes in the slightest.

That article would make a really good point, but unfortunately you can't exactly do the same thing to this game as you can to the newer ones. Bashing the game because Tails is not a sprite swap of sonic is the most retarded argument i've ever heard. Bashing the Water Shield because it "ruins water levels" is also retarded. I do believe Hyrdocity was the first water stage in a sonic game that i actually enjoyed playing.

tl;dr, finding things to complain about isn't very hard at all. I could do the same thing with Mario Galaxy 2 or SMB3 or something, no problem at all. Sonic Fans complain because their series is fucking trash now. The ones who actually bathe in this trash are the ones who keep bitching about the bitching. It's not a BAD joke, it just doesn't prove anything.

I see a surge of topics related to this coming up in a speedy fashion.

That review is rather funny in it's context, and it is true that some of us complain about everything. But while this review only presents ridiculous complaints, there are usually valid points among the complaints of the community.

Some people would indeed complain if Sonic 3 was released today(because it does not utilize modern technology), but the majority of these would not be the same people who complain about the modern Sonic games. You may believe me or not believe me, but I know myself well enough to say that I would not complain.

Of course, if Sonic 3 was never released, the time-space continuum would have been different and I could very well have developed into a completely different person, but hopefully my point is still valid.

I have not tried Sonic 4 yet, because on top of how I do not like the graphics at all, there's an undescribable and subjective quality(soul and weight) that I do not recognise in the videos of it. But do not think that I am the kind of person who rejects progress or something like that; Numerous developers, new and old, never cease to impress me.

And, they had hired some good programmers(or 1, at least) and given them some time to make a proper and bug-free engine for Sonic 06, I would have loved it to death, but now it's unplayable(yes I've played through all of it).

The think the whole emerald stealing business deals with Knuckles surprise-attacking Sonic's bare back of the neck, causing him to upchuck his emeralds and revert. Sonic now became a vegetable (while still standing looking toward Knuckles) with no hopes of ever being able to walk to the bathroom by himself again, but the rage build up from seeing Knuckles' childish chuckle as he embraced his former jewelry caused Sonic to break free from his trauma to pursuit vengeance.

That's how I figured things when down back in the day anyhow.

Wait let me get this straight. Did you just say without Sonic 3 you might be a different person?

Yes, in the same sense are saying that you are not the same person as you were when you woke up this morning; You and the world are in constant change. And the further back you go, the bigger impact a small change in history will have, effectively rendering "what ifs" incomprehensible when interpreted strictly.

If it seems strange, look up the butterfly effect. However, by making simplifying assumptions you can ignore this effect, so you should normally not let this hinder the discussion. Nevertheless, it is useful to keep it in mind.

My apologies for leading this off topic.