A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Rumble: complete platform game from Lionsoft!

Darkleo

Hi everybody! I want to introduce my new complete game: Rumble, an old school platform/action game!

TITLE: Rumble

GENRE: 2d platform

PLAYERS: 1

DESCRIPTION: Devilous kidnapped the girlfriend of volcanic Rumble! Needless to say that he needs to understand who is the boss around here! Help Rumble to save Melody through more than 14 action levels by exploring jungles, frozen lands, underwater caves and defeating huge bosses. He also can gain new skills that will enable him to reach new areas! Jump aboard his pterodactyl friend for aerial combat! Don't miss this wonderful adventure!

SCREENSHOTS:

rumble1.pngrumble4f.pngrumble6.png

VIDEO:

GAME PAGE: http://www.lionsoft.altervista.org/lionsoftgames.htm

DOWNLOAD: http://www.yoyogames.com/games/143164-rumble

Thank you for attention!

• Like 1

Just a question. Was this made with Game Maker, or was it made with MMF?

EDIT: Answered my own question.

Nice game. I couldn't really play too much because of this crappy computer, but it seems well put together. I will say, though, that I don't think the character should sound so gruff. It doesn't sound right.

The graphics for this is really nice, and the music fits in rather well. In general the game feels very tightly wound together too, great work.

However, I couldn't get very far.

The tiny buzzing bugs are very mean. If you let them get on top of you, it's pretty much impossible to shake them off and you can't hit them because they're too close, guaranteeing death. They should really fly away for a little bit after biting you before returning back for more.

Rumble's attack feels very weak. I somewhat got used to using it, but it still remained a difficult ability to have to rely on. Maybe his attack range could be slightly increased without any graphical modifications?

I manage to get to the first boss. I saw I had to hit it when its mouth was opened. However, when it was on the right side of the screen, this didn't seem to work, and I lost all my lives seeing if I just had to hit it a certain way for it to trigger.

When I lose all my lives, I'm not allowed to resume anymore? I was booted back to the title screen, and when choosing Continue, I'm once again redirected back to the title screen, essentially leaving me with the only choice of making a new game. That seems rather brutal.

- - -

Speaking of continue, do you happen to know where the save file is stored? I don't really like the idea of a file being made somewhere I don't know about. Would be nicer if instead it was made right next to the EXE.

The graphics for this is really nice, and the music fits in rather well. In general the game feels very tightly wound together too, great work.

Thanks!

However, I couldn't get very far.

The tiny buzzing bugs are very mean. If you let them get on top of you, it's pretty much impossible to shake them off and you can't hit them because they're too close, guaranteeing death. They should really fly away for a little bit after biting you before returning back for more.

It's easy to escape from the fly, just run and use the drops to let it back, then attack!

Rumble's attack feels very weak. I somewhat got used to using it, but it still remained a difficult ability to have to rely on. Maybe his attack range could be slightly increased without any graphical modifications?

Not graphical problem. I thinking the game like this. I'm sad you feel frustrating from this. Maybe with some practice...

I manage to get to the first boss. I saw I had to hit it when its mouth was opened. However, when it was on the right side of the screen, this didn't seem to work, and I lost all my lives seeing if I just had to hit it a certain way for it to trigger.

To do the first boss, wait until he fire the blue thing, then hit that blue thing with the staff to return that to the boss and hit him!

When I lose all my lives, I'm not allowed to resume anymore? I was booted back to the title screen, and when choosing Continue, I'm once again redirected back to the title screen, essentially leaving me with the only choice of making a new game. That seems rather brutal.

"Continue" will load a saved game... if you don't have a saved game you need to restart the game by choose "NEW GAME". To save the game press "ENTER" in the map screen, then select "SAVE" (it's explained in the tutorial!).

- - -

Speaking of continue, do you happen to know where the save file is stored? I don't really like the idea of a file being made somewhere I don't know about. Would be nicer if instead it was made right next to the EXE.

I've answer in green.

Probably a false positive. Tell your antivirus (McAfee I'm guessing) to make an exception for the exe and try again. You can try uploading it here just to be sure.

Not graphical problem. I thinking the game like this. I'm sad you feel frustrating from this. Maybe with some practice...

I didn't say there was a graphical issue, just that the attack range should be slightly increased. I did say however that after trying for awhile I got better at defending myself, but it still was frustrating for me to have to rely on hopeful timing at chancy distances with only 3 health points to back me up.

"Continue" will load a saved game... if you don't have a saved game you need to restart the game by choose "NEW GAME". To save the game press "ENTER" in the map screen, then select "SAVE" (it's explained in the tutorial!).

Ah, I do remember that from the tut. I guess I forgot about it later on and figured some form of auto-save or friendly resume system was in place.

I'll give it another go and see how far I get this time!

Funny thing about the boss too. I must have thought to strike the mouth at the same time it fired something which completely made the effect of me hitting the bullet back invisible, making me think I just had to hit it before it shot me away.

• 2 weeks later...