A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Ben Hurst, SATAM writer, passed away

USC

He seemed like a pretty kind dude. I've been thinking a lot about animators since I saw that Animaniacs special the other day on Nostalgia critic... what with all of these shows that got canceled with the people who worked on them never really working on anything else that's quite as big... it's really incredibly sad.

Anyway, my best wishes to his survivors.

I actually had talked to Ben a few times on the phone, that's how I got him to come down to SAGE in the first place for us. I gotta admit I was quite upset (and still am) when I learned this news. Ben had a lot of talents actually, ones that a lot of people didn't really know. He was a great voice actor, even made a few fan trailers for a movie (as the narrator voice), for a contest and it was amazingly good. He had a lot of great stories to tell too, be it involving Ken Penders retarded commentary to throwing oranges at his co-workers.

Ben Hurst was an amazingly creative dude that was down to Earth and dependable. He did what he said and that's a lot more than a lot of psuedo-famous people out there these days. A great man passed away and only a select group of people have really taken notice, it's a bit of a shame. As ila said, he was one cool dude. I suppose in this circumstance, saying "he was one way past cool dude" would be quite appropriate. The fact that he's gone instead of some of the more worthless people on this planet is a damn shame.

I hope some of you youngin's on this board who weren't around for SatAM, take the time to actually see what he did with Sonic. SatAM is actually quite good and worth the watch if you consider yourself a Sonic fan. Give it a few episodes to get into the swing of things tho, it's admittedly slightly wonky at the very start. (isn't most series out there based off a video game?)

I know certain people disliked the series, but I find that it's mostly because it's "not the same" as classic "sega sonic". That or they associate it with the monstrosity produced by Archie and people like Ken Penders. *shudder* Despite that though, there's a reason the show is recognized by so many as being awesome and for those of you who haven't seen it, buy the dvd box set if you can afford it. If you REALLY can't, I'd say download it and buy it when you can (buying it supports the series =O). Whatever you do, make sure you watch it. It's worth it and doing so honors a great man.