A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Final Fantasy XIV PC beta, will you join?

Kirs

...to tonight, that is.

1 Hour, to be specific. The servers are going up right now, and if you registered an S-E account (and set it up for their Crysta funnymoney system) you should be getting a code to get in within the next hour. Until then, download the client and make sure you're all updated (it's a pretty large patch)

EDIT: So even though it's an Open Beta, you still need a code! So you need to go to their FFXVI page, apply for a code, pray the service works (it won't. Applications are suspended right now. "Open" beta indeed) then use that code on your S-E account page, THEN you can log on.

This is more complicated than an Open Beta should be.

...to tonight, that is.

1 Hour, to be specific. The servers are going up right now, and if you registered an S-E account (and set it up for their Crysta funnymoney system) you should be getting a code to get in within the next hour. Until then, download the client and make sure you're all updated (it's a pretty large patch)

EDIT: So even though it's an Open Beta, you still need a code! So you need to go to their FFXVI page, apply for a code, pray the service works (it won't. Applications are suspended right now. "Open" beta indeed) then use that code on your S-E account page, THEN you can log on.

This is more complicated than an Open Beta should be.

I noticed it... I didnt expect this to be that complicated... anyways, I got it ^^

I have the registration code on my inbox, and now I'm waiting for the server to allow me enteer to download the client. its incredibly busy

I'm at Lindblum or whatever at Uh'something or other. Also, here's something retarded for you:

The client? It's shite. It crashed 8 times today. I'd play and get that lovely "windows is sending a report to find out why your program had a stroke!" message.

Except I was in the middle of a timed quest.

When I reconnected a minute later? It counted as a fail. Now I have to wait 2 whole days to retry it.

I was going to get my first non-tool equip from that quest. I've been in the starting armor for hours now because the game doesn't sell you anything besides crafting materials. Now I have to wait 2 days for a bloody hat. If it doesn't crash then either. Way to convince me to pay you a monthly fee, Square. You only let certain people report shit too, so I can't even bitch at you about how much I dislike the giant middle finger your gave me.

Yea I've been doing that over the past 3 days.

I've finally made it in, got into the figaro server, gotta say, this game is actually pretty awesome. This game takes everything that I hated about FFXI (seamlessness and combat being my top 2 gripes) and fixes that crap. End product? An MMO that goes in a different direction then WoW with plenty of modern elements.

Now I see why there's a good portion of people that are angry with the game. First, the beta is super dumbed down a lot of stuff has been taken down or shut off. Second, the system is still as convoluted as ever for a keyboard/mouse user. Also, it's not WoW, and makes almost little effort to emulate anything WoW does (especially the hand holding). It's a big reason everyone right now is so angry with the game. This fact makes me laugh, I don't think there needs to be anymore MMOs that copy WoW's formula, I'm tired of that. This is an MMO that throws you into a huge world, and expects you to learn most of the hard lessons yourself.

Now for someone who's understood how the control system works on FFXI, I've actually had a fairly easy time navigating everything, which is great, but I can see where the complaints are sound. It seems as if square is building this game for the ps3, to communicate with the ps3 version with as little hassle as possible.

I will definitely be playing come release, this is pretty much how I envision final fantasy in MMO form (remember this is my opinion, and I'm one of the few people that actually is fine with what square has done with this game).

Phantasy Star (online I assume you mean) is so a grind fest. You ever try to get one specific weapon that only drops from one specific enemy? It sucks. You ever try to get ready to fight Dark Fallz once you've reached Ultimate difficulty? It takes a hundred years. Hell, it takes a hundred years just to get through the damn long ass dungeons if you aren't a force.

The last sentence made me laugh pretty hard. Unless you're on Scthack with the boosts, Force life during Ultimate Mode was kind of ass.

IMO, PSO was less of a grindfest than any other MMO i've ever played, mostly because the fun in the game revolved around the grind aspect itself. Yeah, you did the same thing 100% of the time, but it was an ever changing experience, as you had plenty of ways to tackle each enemy, and there were enemies that actually required more than just running up to them and slashing them in the face.

This is the biggest difference between PSO and other MMOs to me. Instead of harder enemies being something that simply hits harder or faster, or a difficult enemy being something you have to "debuff" before you attack him or some stupid shit, the game actually had a GAMEPLAY element to it, built around the controls, attacks you use, how you manuver, and the enemies themselves. Not just the stats of the player vs. stats of the enemy. There is a HUGE difference. The combat engine itself was built to sustain doing nothing but fighting enemies, but keeping it interesting as you progress the dungeon. This concept was heavily improved upon as you go upwards in episode, as Ep4 started incorporating more environmental interaction as well as new enemy attack patterns.

Point & Click MMOs lack almost all of that stuff, and it pisses me off that each new MMO is basically the same thing with more attractive females or better lighting effects or polygon counts. This is one of the reasons i avoided FF11, as although it has the name "Final Fantasy" on it, it just looked like the same bullshit all these F2P MMORPGs are doing.

Another thing i hate in MMO's (that i believe PSO did a wonderful job of avoiding with the MAG concept) are the whole idea of gameplay time = skill level, or the more hours you waste on the game dictating how great your character is. Also, this whole percentage based advancement bullshit has to go as well. Drop Rates are something that can stay, but grinding/upgrade "failure" rates and stuff similar are really getting out of hand.

FFXIV looks great and all, but i dont see anything that makes me want to buy it other than the fact that it has "Final Fantasy" and "Square Enix" on the box. That whole story with FF11 having a boss that is undefeatable after 18 hours of wacking is fucking ridiculous.

That's because the final boss is Virginity, and no amount of wacking will get rid of it. Go outside, meet bitches, and don't give Square money.

That's who you beat FFXIV from what I can tell.

It's been doing everything in its power to convince me to not pay money for it. The updater fucking sucks. Open your beta folder and look for the torrent files. The updater froze at 94% the other day for over an hour. Utorrent downloaded the patch in a minute. The interface is clearly designed for gamepads. This is evidenced by the fact that the menus fucking suck, and the game uses a software mouse with awkward lag. The game limits your quests, limits how much you can grind a class, limits item gathering (it literally delays the items entering your inventory after you kill something) and crafting is...

I just hate crafting. I wanted to craft a dagger. You need to craft the blade, handle, and glue first. Crafting the handle means crafting the lumber which means finding the right logs (which, of course. Weren't sold at a store. A quest gives random rewards though so I lucked out and got some logs. Woo.) Once I crafted the logs into lumber into a handle (the quest that gave me logs? Required me to craft two more items. So four crafts for a goddamn handle) I was so fed up that I didn't want the goddamn dagger anymore.

Oh, and I had to look up recipes myself. There's no official database.

It's been days and aside from tools I bought, my character looks the fucking same. Not that I want more equips now; the inventory doesn't let you sort anything!

Then outside the main town an ant killed me. I'm level 10 and an ant outside the first town killed me. Luckily there are 3 whole enemies every 10 miles, and more don't spawn until you take the quests. Remember there are 8 quests for 48 hours! Make it count!

Switching your main hand weapon/tool changes classes...and wipes out your ability bar. Meaning you need to remap all your attack keys each time you switch unless you go out of your way to type out macros that equip weapons and abilities at the same time.

All this, combined with severe stability problems, makes me less than optimistic for the release at the end of the month. There's just too much stuff wrong with it.

It's definitely gonna need a ton of patchwork to get working correctly that's for sure. I've already been through the whole binge on an MMO phase, and I don't plan on falling back into that spot, I've got a pretty good mix of real life to go with my game time so I feel pretty good about playing this game.

Cannot get it to work.

I registered 2 beta codes with 2 different accounts already.

But when I try to login in tester site, it seems like I have no a tester account...

wtf is happening, anyone can help me? : /

EDIT

Nevermind, dunno why, but it works now

their updater sucks. Go in the FFXIV folder and dig around the metainfo folders for torrent files. Run them in your own torrent tracker.

I was stuck updating today's patch at 98.4% for over an hour. Then I downloaded the whole patch through utorrent in a minute.

I dont find any torrent file.

And whay you mean with metainfo folders? I dont have any folder with that name

their updater sucks. Go in the FFXIV folder and dig around the metainfo folders for torrent files. Run them in your own torrent tracker.

I was stuck updating today's patch at 98.4% for over an hour. Then I downloaded the whole patch through utorrent in a minute.

I dont find any torrent file.

And whay you mean with metainfo folders? I dont have any folder with that name

That's because the final boss is Virginity, and no amount of wacking will get rid of it. Go outside, meet bitches, and don't give Square money.

That's who you beat FFXIV from what I can tell.

It's been doing everything in its power to convince me to not pay money for it. The updater fucking sucks. Open your beta folder and look for the torrent files. The updater froze at 94% the other day for over an hour. Utorrent downloaded the patch in a minute. The interface is clearly designed for gamepads. This is evidenced by the fact that the menus fucking suck, and the game uses a software mouse with awkward lag. The game limits your quests, limits how much you can grind a class, limits item gathering (it literally delays the items entering your inventory after you kill something) and crafting is...

I just hate crafting. I wanted to craft a dagger. You need to craft the blade, handle, and glue first. Crafting the handle means crafting the lumber which means finding the right logs (which, of course. Weren't sold at a store. A quest gives random rewards though so I lucked out and got some logs. Woo.) Once I crafted the logs into lumber into a handle (the quest that gave me logs? Required me to craft two more items. So four crafts for a goddamn handle) I was so fed up that I didn't want the goddamn dagger anymore.

Oh, and I had to look up recipes myself. There's no official database.

It's been days and aside from tools I bought, my character looks the fucking same. Not that I want more equips now; the inventory doesn't let you sort anything!

Then outside the main town an ant killed me. I'm level 10 and an ant outside the first town killed me. Luckily there are 3 whole enemies every 10 miles, and more don't spawn until you take the quests. Remember there are 8 quests for 48 hours! Make it count!

Switching your main hand weapon/tool changes classes...and wipes out your ability bar. Meaning you need to remap all your attack keys each time you switch unless you go out of your way to type out macros that equip weapons and abilities at the same time.

All this, combined with severe stability problems, makes me less than optimistic for the release at the end of the month. There's just too much stuff wrong with it.

Yeah alright not getting this game. This whole "CRAFTING" bullshit MMOs are starting to pull are absolutely ridiculous -- i mean its fine for rare and cool weapons to have a percentage drop rate, but when you have to find MULTIPLE rare items with horrible drop rates just to combine them and make one (and since this is "CRAFTING" there's ANOTHER percent chance it will "fail" and you wasted your fucking time) is gay as shit and i wish games would quit doing that. I had enough of that bullshit with PSU.

These games are so built around forcing you to play them forever that they snuff out any kind of regular ol' videogame fun you're supposed to be having with the fucking game. MMORPGs are just as dead as FPS's and (almost) JRPGs now.

FF14 folder > Downloads>ffxivbeta>one of the two folders>metainfo

(if the torrent files aren't the latest date, you picked the wrong folder. Also if you haven't been updating regularly you might need to run multiple torrents)

Got it, I love you : DD

Anyways, that folder was on My Documents, and not on Program Files : /

Thats why I dont found them

• 3 weeks later...