A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

SAGE 2010 Reviews

Writin' words about the games you guys make.

http://bit.ly/aXBEGk

Wouldn’t you know it – it’s the tenth anniversary of the Sonic Amateur Games Expo! I’m extremely proud that something I created has endured this long, even though I haven’t really had a hand in organizing the event since about 2003. The web design this year is absolutely gorgeous, and already, some of the events within SAGE have proven to be amazing – last night’s dramatic fanfic reading featuring special guest LittleKuriboh, for example. And here I am, back for a third year in a row, with another shotgun blast of SAGE fangame reviews straight to your face.

Reviewed: The Retro Channel, Sonic Zeta Overdrive, Metal Gear Solid: Fight of the Metal Gears, Sonic 2: Retro Remix, Lazy Sonic, Rose of Longevity

Feel free to yell at me if you think I was unfair to your game.

Surely you could have found another computer to play Rose of Longevity on or else found somebody else who could play it and asked them to write a guest review? I feel either would have been more helpful both to readers and to the game's creators than to say only "this game may not work on your computer."

I have no problem running it.

Don't worry, you aren't missing anything. The graphics are alright and there is even a fairly decent variety of content, but the jump is an instant deal breaker. It's like you press jump, instantly get teleported to the peak of your jump height complete with instant camera jarring and then you stay suspended in the air for about a half second and then fall. Instantly. Back to where you were before. It's pretty much unplayable.

As for the game, you explore a little bit, get a heart shooting attack, press a switch, go through a portal, and then beat the level and suddenly David Bowie starts with Under Pressure. You rescue Cream, Blaze, and some... fan character I guess.

Don't worry, you aren't missing anything. The graphics are alright and there is even a fairly decent variety of content, but the jump is an instant deal breaker. It's like you press jump, instantly get teleported to the peak of your jump height complete with instant camera jarring and then you stay suspended in the air for about a half second and then fall. Instantly. Back to where you were before. It's pretty much unplayable.

Guess I'm not missing much then. xD; A shame really, since Amy fangames can be rather charming. One Girl Army FTW.

Buuuut keep up the reviews, Blaze. ^_^ I've been trying out as many fangames as I can, but it'll certainly be helpful to read little tidbits of the ones I skipped over.

That's funny, because your total lack of caring about punctuation and grammar while using smilies disappoints me in a similar way to how Blazefire usually disappoints me.

He's not Blazefire. I've seen him (TeamViewer) talking to Retronic on MSN. (And I'm pretty sure Retronic foreign, which is why his English and Grammar isn't that good.)

I didn't levy that accusation. It doesn't matter what language you speak though... provided it isn't an oddity anyway. Most of them have capitalization and some degree of punctuation. I'd be much more tolerant of it if He were capitalizing every Noun in each Sentence since his Location reads as 'ger' (Germany I'd assume).

Hokay, had a bit of personal trouble I had to take care of, so #2 had to be written by staffer Solus.

http://bit.ly/aTnTJp

Surprised to see me? Mr. Bloom has asked me to step up and cover the next row of titles fresh from the Sonic Amateur Games Expo. Get ready for novels of long, winding prose skewing off into tangential discourse only slimly related to the original topi…

I’m sorry? Oh, I’ve just been informed he kept it to about a paragraph each. Well, I suppose if you must have the Reader’s Digest version…

He tackles: Techno the Gamma Project, Sonic Phoenix, Sonic NXT, Sonic Gijinka, Super Mario Panic, and writes stuff about Rose of Longevity because I couldn't. (Spoilers: He's also a nicer guy than I am)

I just posted a slightly-bigger-than-usual set of reviews to make up for not posting any yesterday:

http://bit.ly/aFI1Nw

As you may have noticed, Solus filled in for me on Tuesday, and I offer my sincerest apologies for not posting anything yesterday, either. I had some matters to take care of that were a bit more pressing than Sonic Fangames, but I’m back again – and I’ve brought with me SEVEN games to review! That’s right, you get TWO bonus reviews, all in one late, great, super-fantastic article!

I review: Sonic the Hedgehog 3D, Sonic Adventure 3, Sonic Genesis, Sonic Redux, Sonic Zero Remastered, Tails Nightmare 2, and Sonic Fusion

With that, I sleep, for I feel as though I am catching a nasty cold.

Hat Trick.

http://bit.ly/a6W6h3

Babies, vs. Gizoids, in an Arena, With A Gun

Today, the Sonic Amateur Games Expo 2010 comes to a close. Of course, just because the official event has come to a close doesn’t mean you or I have to stop celebrating – last year, the “SAGE After-party” lasted almost a full week after the expo had come to an end. And, considering there’s at least one more batch of reviews left to write after this, don’t count on our SAGE coverage ending just yet. That said – let’s get to it!

Reviewed: Sonic Arena 2, Sonic with a Gun, Sonic: Time Twisted, Digimon World Legends, Aria of Destiny, Sonic 2 Dimps Edition, Sonic Babies, Sonic the Gizoid (Episode 1)

Thank you for being the first person at SAGE to acknowledge having played my demo. :) Your criticism that new content must overwrite original game levels is a little odd since that's exactly what one does in most ROM hacks of, say, Sonic games, which were likewise not shipped with any modding tools. I'll look into enemy placement, however.

Your criticism that new content must overwrite original game levels is a little odd since that's exactly what one does in most ROM hacks of, say, Sonic games, which were likewise not shipped with any modding tools.

Mmm. Good point, I hadn't really considered that. So many hacks I play these days come pre-packaged that I never have to bother with patches or anything of the sort. (then again, you could argue that yours was the same way, with the all-in-one archive).

Ah, your criticisms of my games are pretty much spot-on. SCW wasn't really meant to be reviewed in the first place, as you said (though I am working on an additional level that's much better than the one that's there at the moment), but I wanted to show off SOMETHING after all this time... Besides, the engine is open-source like Worlds, so...

Oh, wow, now that I noticed that screenshot, I forgot to include a rather vital folder in DWL. Granted, it's mostly visual, but still. That's been rectified, but still, epic fail on my part. DWL is also something I really wanted to show off even though I admit it has some problems, mainly because I've gone through hell just to get a working demo done. Yeah...