A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Redux

Retronic

thank you! :D

Act 2 cracked me up, I love this.

^^

I got stuck at the boss and couldn't go any further after he disappeared...

oh thats bad...it never happened to me or a test player.

do you got stuck in the boss cutscene on the bridge or the actual boss fight ?

i think its really important to fix that o_O

thank you! :D

oh thats bad...it never happened to me or a test player.

do you got stuck in the boss cutscene on the bridge or the actual boss fight ?

i think its really important to fix that o_O

It happened after the boss fight. When I come back to it, i'll see if it happens again.

First let me say you've got a really nice presentation here. The menu and cutscene work both look great, and the graphics are nicely remixed. I really like those things about this game.

Yet the game had a lot of issues that really kept me from enjoying it as much as I would have liked to. First the I'm not the a big strictler on physics (god knows the STT ones are off) but your game had some real issues. It takes way too much speed to get over the loops especially the one that's on a downward slope. Over all Sonic's physics feel rather stiff I suggest you compare them closely with Sonic 3 and see if you can't get them closer to the real thing. Sonic doesn't seem to be able to skid after bouncing off the spring. Also a lot of the horizontal springs that are supposed to bounce you up ramp didn't provid me with enough power to get to the top in many spots. Last and probably most importantly about 50% of the time when I spin dash I jump right as the spin dash takes off.

I'll probably have more to say later when the game is fresher in my memory.

I played it again.

This is the spring you I was talking about.

redux.png

Seems to be working better now, yesterday I could get up it for the life of me. Maybe it was a bug?

I forgot to mention yesterday that unfortunatly both the cameras are kinda jerky too.

I'm curious though did you program the 360 engine yourself? I can understand you wanting to program everything yourself. But if you used one of the 360 engines on the website, why didn't you use Sonic Worlds? Not to be rude but its quite a bit more accurate than what you've got here and relatively bug free too. You've got a really nice concept here, I'd just hate to see that held back by the engine.

He's been working on it for a while, Overbound. It'd be pretty silly to ask him to change over to a completely different creation tool.

Also, there is at least 16 steps after hitting a horizontal spring where you can't change direction or skid. This gives you time to move your fingers to the other direction; without it, you'd lose a bit of speed unless you switched arrow keys perfectly.

Just pointing that out, though I'm not sure if that's what's happening here...

EDIT: Nope, it's not. Tried it for myself, and rather than limit the directions for a handful of steps as mentioned, you can't turn around until you've decelerated to a complete stop. Normally, you could even circumvent the limiting steps by jumping and using aerial deceleration to back up, but that's not even possible here - trying to jump to stop actually takes longer than simply holding the opposite direction and nothing else. This needs to be rectified - see the notes above.

Just some things I've noticed.

You accelerate a smidgen too quickly. I'd lower the acceleration variable a few notches, unless this is intentional. If you're shooting for a classic Sonic experience though, it needs to be adjusted.

You need to be going too fast to be able to skid. Allow the player to skid at slightly slower speeds. Very small adjustment

You go a little too fast in general. Sonic's top speed here is closer to that of him having the Running Shoes power up. Slow him down a tad.

You cannot skid after hitting a horizontal spring. I'd have a look at the code that runs the horizontal springs if I were you.

Midair control is unforgiving! I can't decelerate or accelerate enough while I'm in the air. This is especially noticeable as Super Sonic.

The drown timer is still functional even though I have a bubble shield. Just a minor quirk, easily fixable.

I cannot skid on any of the grassy areas leading up to loops (though if I continue holding back, I'll start to skid right at the beginning of the loop itself)

Here some either problems that are specific to Knuckles.

His gliding action is odd, or poorly programmed. Knuckles is supposed to slowly accelerate, and when turning around, he's supposed to decelerate smoothly to a stop and accelerate in the other direction. On second check, you've done the the first part of turning around, but because you don't have acceleration for knuckles, once he slows down, he just shoots off in the other direction. In other words, add acceleration for the Knuckles' gliding, not just deceleration for when he's turning around.

Also on the topic of deceleration, if I spindash, jump, and then glide (or otherwise glide when moving very quickly in the air), his gliding speed snaps to the speed you set. Instead, why don't you have him start gliding at the speed you were moving at, and quickly decelerate to his top speed (not too quickly, though). Also worth noting that this affects Tails' flight also.

Second, he doesn't fall fast enough. It took me a few seconds to confirm I wasn't flying instead of gliding! Make him fall a bit faster.

EDIT: It seems you changed his glide entirely. You made it so that he can only go so far, as he just drops straight down after a while. This is neat, but if you are trying to go for a classic experience, consider programming his gliding action more like Sonic and Knuckles.

Thirdly, a minor problem (which I wouldn't mind you not fixing). In the games, after Knuckles lands from a glide (not slides, lands), there is a moment where he can't move, as he crouches first. You don't have to add this though. Personally, I never liked it, and it doesn't affect gameplay much.

hey guys

really awesome infos you gave me ! i ll take care of your wishes :)

thank you for testing out

...You accelerate a smidgen too quickly....

good idea i ll change that

Slow him down a tad.

i ll thing about it...but dont forget...we talk about sonic the hedgehog ;)

I cannot skid on any of the grassy areas leading up to loops

thats a compromise solution because of a sprite bug i havnt fixed yet

gliding...Knuckles

ok :ksmile:

the physics are based on Sonic Engine Base Primer by RC and Dam

greetings

Well, play Sonic 3 a bit and see what I mean. You can't run as fast as you're having him without going down a looooong slope. I don't know how Worlds handles this, so I don't have anything to go on, but I think Sonic is supposed to have a top speed for when running on flat ground, and can only go faster on slopes. Maybe this is what you have done, and his slope acceleration is too high, making it seem like his normal top speed is high also.

One other thing I can't believe I forgot to mention, actually. Rolling. The friction is awfully high, even going down slopes! And it seems like me pressing left or right has an effect on my rolling friction...this shouldn't be!

Keep up the good work though bud, you're getting there!

Okay, that little "cutscene" in Act 2 seriously creeped me out. o.o

I dare you to keep it in the final version, and then have the stage transform into some kind of Bad Future after the transition is finished. Maybe the jungle paradise in the first Act was actually a holographic illusion set up by Dr. Robotnik. =O

As for the game itself, everyone here pretty much hit the nail on the head. I should add that Tails' tails don't quite rotate the way they should, but I'm not sure whether that's due to a limitation of the engine you're using.

Also, I think the badnik placements are pretty unforgiving for such an early level in the game. xD;

The inertia issues are hard to ignore, but this has to be the best looking fangame I've seen. You've made such an attractive level, allowing the player to have that oldschool comfort with all visuals being something we know and trust from other Sonics, yet it also looks fantastic and feels fresh. Shows an excellent understanding of how to apply your visual content. Just being in that zone feels good.

I really look forward to seeing what you do with another trope.

He's been working on it for a while, Overbound. It'd be pretty silly to ask him to change over to a completely different creation tool.

I wasn't asking him to change. I was just wondering if A. he made the 360 engine from Scratch, and B. If not what was his reasoning for using an engine other than Worlds in MMF.

I wasn't asking him to change. I was just wondering if A. he made the 360 engine from Scratch, and B. If not what was his reasoning for using an engine other than Worlds in MMF.

i used this engine because i worked with the base physics some years ago on sonic & knuckles alpha

EDIT: currently porting intro worlds