A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

I'm not at SAGE this year, but...

Hard drive wipe? Implosion?

I got burnt out, I guess. It's a bit more complicated than that, but basically, it wasn't turning out the way I had hoped, I was in over my head (as usual), and what I really wanted to do was make a classic-styled game.

Ironically, making a classic styled game has been giving me ideas for going back to TFH. But I'm keeping those in my pocket, for now.

Given my track record, neither will probably ever be finished! :D

It's just a hobby. As long as you're enjoying yourself, it's all good, even if you don't finish.

Truth. :D

Edit: Internet connection's pretty slow at the moment, but what I saw of that vid looks gorgeous. Love the gigantic head sculpture and it seems like there's a lot of depth- that island is so far in the background.

Truth. :D

Edit: Internet connection's pretty slow at the moment, but what I saw of that vid looks gorgeous. Love the gigantic head sculpture and it seems like there's a lot of depth- that island is so far in the background.

I kind of wasted a lot of depth, too. I did like 16 layers for the water and most of it gets hidden by the hills and trees and stuff.

Well, we'll see. This project is going a lot faster and a lot easier than TFH ever did, and I am much happier with where things are going with this right now. I had/have a couple people helping me with levels, but one of them turned out to be a pretty awful level designer and then he went off to college so he can't help me anyway.

That's not an offer for random strangers to approach me about designing levels for the game, though. :P

When I want help, I will ask for help - and there are definitely a couple of subjects I'm going to need help on in the future (music, for instance). But I'm not going to bother thinking about any of that stuff until the time is right.

Oh, and incidentally, Sonic's movement on the platforms in my video isn't anything that'll effect gameplay - it's a side-effect of a video export routine I wrote using the game's replay system. For some reason, Sonic and moving platforms are out of sync in time trial replays.

I have no idea what causes it. I'd like to fix it, but it's not high priority, because it only happens when viewing a time trial replay.