A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

C++

Ristar

I'm just struggling in terms of thinking.

I can follow tutorials fine, obviously, but when I come away from them I have no idea how to go about it.

Does that come naturally after a while or should I stick to making pretty pictures?

Love you.

It's all a matter of properly building a program in a loop. Then, letting the functions do the work when a certain event occurs.

I learn better by doing, so by looking at tutorials, I can start to make sense of the logic. Then I can expand upon their ideas and try different ways of thinking.

The only reason why I've stalled on working on my game is the fact that I need to rewrite the engine based on what I've learned. That, and I've been so busy lately.

I don't know if this is good practice or not, but it helps me to break down my objective in terms of things that need doing, and writing functions or loops for each thing that needs doing. For example, if I want to have a square to move around on the screen, I'd write a function that detects button presses, and a function to move the square in the same direction as the button press.

Of course, more complicated applications get much more complicated codes. I don't know if this any sense to you or not, though.

I'm just struggling in terms of thinking.

I can follow tutorials fine, obviously, but when I come away from them I have no idea how to go about it.

Does that come naturally after a while or should I stick to making pretty pictures?

Love you.

I'm afraid programming isn't something that is going to come naturally just from doing the examples. It's important that you understand why what you are doing works in order to really get anything out of it. I really recommend having someone who can explain a few things to you around before going through a tutorial so that you can ask what something is doing (or just what the purpose of anything is) when you don't really understand.

I'm afraid programming isn't something that is going to come naturally just from doing the examples. It's important that you understand why what you are doing works in order to really get anything out of it. I really recommend having someone who can explain a few things to you around before going through a tutorial so that you can ask what something is doing (or just what the purpose of anything is) when you don't really understand.

yeah I've always found a lot of the tutorials seem to skip explaining seemingly important things - especially mathematic bits.

I was looking at one tutorial and the bloke kept inserting new numbers that, to me, made no sense at all.