A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

All about Windows 7

Aerosol

Win 7 feels like XP to me :P Just a bit more stable actually(Believe me, I used work as a network admin on a network full of XP machines so I can tell you from experience ._.). Vista, as has been said before, was a giant piece of crap. Also, with 4gigs of memory you should be set. My laptop only has 3 and its never had to resort to VMM that I can recall.

Error 404: Relevant Post not found.

(Sorry, I've been wanting to say that for some time now, just because I *now* have 404 posts as of this point in time.)

Anyway, I believe I only had 1 or so BSODS on 7, whilst on Vista, I obviously had more. ;.; Stupid animated desktop causing BSODS... XP hiccuped every now and then.

That's rather strange.. it might be hardware related, are all your drivers up to date?

That's all the BSOD's usually are, driver problems or faulty hardware. The only only annoying problem I've had is when the sleep functions decide to stop working.

I'm running Windows 7 Starter on my netbook. I've never had a full or infinite freeze or had to shut it down without returning resources. That I know of, Starter has no less system requirements than other Windows 7 packs. Windows 7 is more than just Microsoft scrambling to fix Vista, It feels like an entirely different OS! I have to use DOSbox to run stuff like DOOM, and I all in all can't run Sonic R, but that's as much compatibility problems I have.

I wish you didn't have to mess with test mode/signing work-arounds just to install unsigned drivers like you could easily do in Windows XP.... restoring the good old MIDI support would be great too. Seems like many of the PC games I play run faster in Windows XP 32bit (aka 1 less GB of RAM) as well, but maybe I just need to disable Aero to solve that or something.

I do on the positive side love how well Ctrl+Alt+Delete works now. Almost 100% of the time gets me out of a freeze or forced fullscreen to restore things back to normal.

Adding to the blue screen discussion, I don't think I've EVER had a bluescreen in Windows XP except for a single time when one randomly popped up on me, which turned out that one of my system files had gone bad and I had to do a quick repair. Other than that, all blue screens were either my fault or hardware related, so I can't really say that Windows 7 is any more stable.